Home Technical Talk

Ultimate tool - a call for UI coders

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hi there!

I think I quickly mentioned this some time ago but I have been thinking about it more over the last few days. There is a possibility that such tool already exists somewhere, but I thought I could share the design document and maybe, find someone interested in coding it!

***Hotkeys holder for tablet and tabletPC users***

Observation 1 : Most advanced programs let the user define keyboard shortcuts (hotkeys) ; and even if the most mainstream apps like itunes, firefox don't give easy access to user customization, they very often come with hard coded hotkeys.

Observation 2 : Some users enjoy UI buttons over keyboards shortcuts. In some cases it is actually more practical to rely on UI buttons rather than hotkeys (tablet PCs, Cintiqs). However not every program allows for UI customisation and button creation.

Observation 3 : Every interface is different, but streamlining them could improve the user experience.

I am thinking of a shortcut container somehow similar to the Maya shelf, but with added functionality and running as a separated program. It would be turned on on start up and stay on display all the time.

Core features:
-Always on top of all the windows on screen.
-Contains an unlimited amount of slots.
-Each slot holds a keyboard shortcut, activated by clicking on it.
-Each slot contains a visual label making it easily recognizable : .gif, .ico, .png, or plain text description.
-Clicking an icon accepts 'sliding' behavior : no need to hold the stylus firmly in place for the click to validate as opposed to the Windows desktop icons behavior. See the Firefox3 Back and Forward buttons as an example of slide-friendly click behavior.
-The main part of the interface does not allow for dragging. In order to drag the container, one needs to clickdrag the dedicated Drag icon.
-The contents of the hotkeys holder update according to the app currently in focus. (if photoshop is in focus, the holder only displays photoshop related shortcuts)
-Absolute screen position of the holder is a user preference, defined for each application. (to avoid hiding useful UI elements)
-The holder can be resized by dragging the dedicated Resize icon
-When all apps are reduced and nothing is in focus, or when a folder explorer is in focus, the holder displays OS related shortcut icons

Low priority features :
-Support for complex shortcuts to provide 3D navigation support : click-drag on an icon can be bound to alt-click-drag
-Supports for repeatable actions (alt-click-drag-10pixelsXaxis) for discrete rotation, zooming, and pan.
-Multiple holders

And finally, a mockup! Examples of Firefox and Photoshoop behavior.
pior_ultimate_tool.jpg

This is basically this
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/
and this
http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkstick.php
combined together in a virtual, desktop way.

Related tools :
Clutterbuster
http://appsapps.info/screenshots/clutterbuster.jpg
(only for .exe's)

Wacoms popup menu tool
www.wacom.com

Directfolders
http://www.directfolders.com/

Launchy
http://www.launchy.net/

Anyone wants to jump in?
If it ever sees the light of day I could see that being quite popular amongst visual artists. And then it's just a matter of adding a 'Polycount donation' link somewhere in the options = server maintenance + minicomps prizes money!

Also it's worth mentioning that the biggest benefit would be for tabletPC and Cintiq users - because the keyboard really is hard to reach in such cases. For a classic tablet+keyboard combo it might be a bit redundant! But maybe it could be a anti-RSI thing too ?

[edit : the Close button is unnecessary in the UI. This should be accessed with right click hit, since it's not something one wants to hit by mistake!]

P

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    amazing idea. If I were a more competent programmer, I would attempt this.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A friend of mine wrote a very simple version of this for an artist at his work, basically a bunch of Photoshop keyboard shortcuts on a wee floating menu. It'd be great to see something as customiseable and cross-app compatible as this, though.

I'm thinking that some sort of pop-up pie menu would be better, though. Less intrusive but always on your cursor when you need it (see: modo's).
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I want this too in the Modo Maya radial menu way.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maybe add moi3d to your inspiration list
    http://moi3d.com/
    its designed with tablet use in mind
    Pen-tablet friendly user interface.

MoI features a unique user interface that integrates particularly well with a pen tablet. Unlike most programs, you don't have to constantly tap the Shift, Alt, or Control keys, so you don't have to hover over the keyboard when using MoI. Also right-clicking tends to be awkward with a pen. MoI provides simple left-click methods for view manipulation functions that require right-clicking in other CAD programs.
    other things that come to my mind are the wacom build in tools where you can tab a specific area on the tablet to execute specific actions or applications.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hey Render! MOI indeed is a fantastic program, very well laid out. It gives that nice 'nextgeneration of 3D package' feel somehow.

As for the pie menus - I see how this would be a great tool since many programs don't have them. The only problem I have with them is that the still require a specific input to be started (right click, button press...) which in the end adds one more step. But obviously if a keyboard holder could have both functionalities (always-on-screen bar, and pie menus) that would be ... totally fantastic!

I personally use pie menus mostly the for less frequent things (accessing the UV and material editors, going straight to an apps preferences menu, opening the Mel script window...) as opposed to actions used extremely often (cut, merge, extrude...) which I store in keyboards shortcuts for the most useful ones and UI icons for the slightly less frequent ones.

The goal of that keyboard holder would be to give access to such primary and secondary tools to tabletPC users, without the reach of the keyboard.

I'm glad you guys are liking the idea. I am trying to spread this around a little, it would be great to see this gain momentum!

It seems like the AutoIT scripting language allows for these things very easily so I posted there too
    http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88576&st=0#entry636429
    This thing has everything to do all the things mentioned in the first post (even the "low priority" mouse dragging feature), that's very exiting!!
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    If you do manage to find someone to make it could you please try and press for the pie menus? It would be great on the intous 3 with the 4 buttons on each side mapped to shift, ctrl, alt and then pie menu! The current Wacom menu is ok but not great.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.filebuzz.com/fileinfo/39048/Touch_It___Virtual_keyboard.html

http://www.chessware.ch/virtual-keyboard/index.php

I'm researching this right now, haven't downloaded it yet, but it looks like it might be semi-useful...

Edit: I'm hoping Pior's idea takes off though, I don't use hotkeys that often, other than the most common standard ones, and use toolbars far more often...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome idea that I think is long overdue. When I read your doc I thought "why haven't we been crying out for all of this stuff? In this day and age we should be able to solve problems like this!" And then reality quickly took hold and I was in doubt it would ever have a chance of being built... but holy crap there look to be some ways to pull it off! I just can't make any sense of them =/

Good luck I'm pulling for ya!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I can possibly see into doing something. Between school and reworking my model viewer into something more modular I might be able to squeeze this out.

I'll look into a couple of things and see what is possible.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Frankie, sure thing - it would be great for such a tool to adapt to different workflows, so yeah totally pies aswell.
    I could see that it might be slightly more complex to pull out since it implies a more advanced visual interface - but the core design (holding app specific KB shortcuts behind visual labels) is obviously the same!

Vig, yeah huh? And thanks for the link, Illusions. I tried Touch-it some time ago and it certainly has all the core features I am mentionning, just wrapped up differently. At least it proves it is possible!

Keg, fantastic to hear. I'll report any info gathered from other boards where I posted the doc, if it can be helpful. It seems like AutoIT can do it all (it can even create standalone exes)
    http://www.autoitscript.com/

This is exciting!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a programmer at work suggested Microsoft Expression Blend...another thing to look into. They're using it to make some GUIs. Don't know how useful this is either...if I ever get time I'm gonna look into Touch-it more though...cause its cheap. And cheap for us is good.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Pior,

Have you considered mouse gestures. gMote http://www.handform.net/gmote.php is a pretty awesome tool. When I install gMote I get rid of all of his presets and make my own. Since I use Vista with Areo I have to turn off the stroke graphic (but I think I would have turned it off anyway).

Just to give some examples.

In Photoshop flicking to the left is undo, flicking to the right is redo. Flicking up is copy, flicking down is paste. Drawing a circle selects all. Square makes a new layer. Drawing "b", "g", or "f" presses those hotkeys for me, and so on...

I actually have it setup so that flicking left is "alt + left arrow (Back)" globally except Photoshop. You can customize or turn of gestures for any program.

I know it's not the graphical program you are looking for, but IMHO I think it works faster. And it works will with the mouse or pen. There's other mouse gesture programs, but gMote is probably the best free one.

Oh, one last thing. Don't confuse this with the lame "Flicks" utility that comes with Vista.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hey Juan! Nice to see you around!

Yeah I can see how mouse gestures can be very beneficial! As a matter I messed around with them quite a bit already, using Stroke-It. I took the time to setup everything properly (especially for 2D apps -flip canvas horizontally, brush size, reduce current app to desktop, all that sort of stuff) but I ended up never really using them somehow.

What modifier do you use to trigger them? I think most folks use either MMB or RMB. It works wonders in photoshop, but I don't see myself doing that in Maya or Mudbox since it triggers navigation!

I'll install gMote and will check it out anyways. I 'think' I will still end up wishing for a unified, cross-application graphical interface tho. But it's true that this is all just personnal preference. IRL I like to have all my tools in sight (nightly ordered tho!) as opposed to pulling them out of drawers, and back :D

Also working in Maya with a floating, resizable shelf with the viewport maximized spoiled me, maybe!
    Very interesting point of view nonetheless, I'll check it out asap.

Keep the ideas coming!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fantastic input Lampoly! Will check all that over the weekend!!
    No problem about the icons, they were a 5 minutes job!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: NVM...further research shows that the NuLooq is Mac only and the ToolDial was discontinued, and they have no intent of making a PC version. :|

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/photoshop-blog/06/02/nulooq-logitech-design-tool.html
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well the Nulooq does work on the PC, I have one at home as a matter of fact. But yes, the tooldial software has been discontinued.

I really like the one tiny 'touch' button in the middle of the device (no need to press it to register, ala ipod navring), I use it for pan in photoshop. However the other buttons need a strong press, so I dont really use them much. The Nulooq ring is fantastic for brush size tho!!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alright! Sneak peak, thanks to Funky Bunnies who wrote the thing straight away!!!!

He is still working on it and polishing some of the behavior, but the bar is working incredibly well with 3D apps so far. Little action video introducing FunkyBar :

http://vimeo.com/4960185

It really is a breeze to work with so far. I always hated how the maya shelf get stuck all the way up there! This is much better for me. Also many programs put the icons on the right hand side which is super annoying for lefty tablet users. This solves it all!

Joy!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I already saw that :D
    he really did a nice job at spending his free time at coding this thingy ^_^
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see someone made it :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I <3 Funky Bunnies, you rock!
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More shelves! Yes! Thank you Funky Bunnies!

Also, Pior, that is a lot of shortcuts you have there in that one shelf tab. :poly105:
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome! don't suppose you're taking suggestions, Funky?? ;)
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Heyo all, thanks for the warm response :D

it was an awesome idea so I had to jump on it!

and I'm always looking to improve it where I can, rooster :)
    so feel free to ask!

...unless you have a different idea, in which case I'm still all ears but I'm not sure about my knowhow or my time! ;)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I have not tested it but what would be nice is some kind of a button that if you hold it the menu will temporarily swap to the mouse position so you don't have to move the cursor to the panel. As soon as you release the hotkey the toolbar hops back to where it was before.

nice work though,- any info on the structure - like how it works and if how it can be extended or edited?
    Is there a way for custom icons and or layouts?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    functionality that more resembles a popup pie menu would be neat.

what I mean is.

1. hold button
    2. pie menu pops up with the center where your pointer is right now
    3. slide your pointer over to the desired option pie slice
    4. release button and the option gets picked

this makes for a one button press and flick flow which is really neat.

this can also be expanded by adding submenus easily. basically you pop up a new pie menu when you mouse over (pen over?) a submenu pie slice.

uhm... the new wacom intuos 4 does have something like this but I believe it requires a lot of extra clicking and it covers up all of your screen... so I dont find it very usable. but Id actually pay for something that is more akin to what I described above.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Render : Layout is fluid, can be a rectangle of any proportions, and is stored per app.
    Icons are supported, FB even mad a whole bunch of them, I just didn't set them up in my config yet.

Kawe well yeah I see how the pie menu can be useful, but like mentionned earlier this is a whole other step of complexity :P But yeah it would be cool, especially if we can keep a bar with different icons in it (the ones you need the most), and, some icons could open a pie menu for some more shortcuts. That way there would be two things (bar and pie) into one.

As far as pie only , the wacom driver has that now, true!

This thing is so cool! Addicted.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, pior explained it well

I tried to upload a video to youtube but it's so low rez it's impossible to see anything. My hosting is currently being squirrely so I'll have to wait on a more detailed video! for now this should show the very basic idea

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtKzLBlSZfw[/ame]

Kawe: that's an interesting idea. I can't say how possible it would be for me, but I'll try and look into it as I find some time :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice done buddy
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to hijack this thread with nerd talk but i'm very interested what language you wrote this in, C#, C++? What libs etc.

Great work though, it looks super usefull.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks renderhjs :)

Sure thing Lampoly :D I'll try and get a copy to anyone interested after I can make a few fixes
    It's still a little bit rough yet in some areas though!

jerry, actually someone mentioned AutoIt scripting earlier and I decided to give it a shot to see if it was up to the task. I kinda wish I'd done it fully in C++ now since it's gotten so big, but it actually does the job pretty damn well :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome funky, ok here's my wishes :)
    apologies if any of these are in there already

1: ability to have bar hidden by default, and hold a button to show, let go and it hides
    2: the bar appears where your mouse is, like mayas hotbox/marking menus
    3: some kind of tab functionality, so you can have a lot of shortcuts stored in it (I would put in a LOT), but a bit more organised than just one massive bar. maybe theres a different solution than tabs, but i just mean a clean way to have lots of stuff.
    4: saving config- might be in there? (transfer between home and work pc easily)

i think my dream use for this is a bit different to piors, possibly. i'd love something that means in any app (that has sufficient shortcut tools) i can hide all UI and use only funkybar.

when in different 3d apps, i could set up the bar to act the same in each one. create objects tab, edit objects tab, create lights tab etc- everything in the same place. With a bit of work on the users part, it could really super streamline using multiple apps, and reduce everything to one interface :D. maybe its asking too much :)

edit:
    ps, like someone said- id pay for a pie menu version
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    With a bit of work on the users part, it could really super streamline using multiple apps, and reduce everything to one interface :D.
    People could also plop down at any machine and have all their buttons without having to mess with the defaults. I've been training a few people to do some simple animation and the crazy crap people bind... yeash...

It could make the yearly update of autodesk apps somewhat more bearable without having to re-gigger the UI quite so much.

I mostly see this as a way to throw down the keyboards oppression on my workflow freeing me up to use the tablet more and more. I think lefties who like to use the tablet as a replacement for the mouse get a bigger boost out of this by not being so heavily dependent on the keyboard. Most key binds tend to be left handed and actually works better if you're holding the pen in your right hand.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    any news on this? need help beta testing? ;)
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slowness!
    I'm still ironing out a few core things and trying to fix up a new site that has less back doors, but I've increased the speed and added several other features to Funky Bar including letting you run apps or files from the buttons, and easily transfer settings files from one machine to another.

I'll post a video as soon as I get my website sorted :)
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 19
    It looks awesome, please let us know what we need to do to try it out.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome!

Only one other thing I can think of now that would be amazing to have added.

SUB-MENUS.

With sub-menus you could pretty much rebuild any apps' default menus with just the options you want and then hide their menu bars. This would make me very happy, particularly for Maya. Or you could just use it to save space on your bar by having options tree out.

Anyway, looking forward to a release!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I refuse to let this one go down !
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    yeah the same. You definitly have all my support on this FB :D I can't wait to see the next update !
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    once I have some time I might be able to contribute some generic and typical icons
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks all, I'll try and get an update out real soon! :)

And that would be awesome, rhjs! so far most of the premade icons have been a little rushed so i could definitely use some nicer ones if you're ever bored or something! I'll talk to ya about how I'm currently doing them later.

[edit]
    I've posted a video on my new site. I'll make a new one as soon as I get the next version built up :)

watch it here
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, that's awesome! Can't wait for the release... D:
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What would be awesome, is a way to simulate navigation in 3d programs, like:

clic button+ drag= alt+click+movement based on the drag orientation and distance this way you can pan/rotate zoom...

This would be perfect for tablet pc users without much butons available.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    this app looks amazing. can't wait for you to release it for everyone's use. This is the kind of thing i would definatly pay for.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, and good ideas! :)

Thanks mLichy :)

I was thinking about that after pior mentioned it, BeatKitano, still having trouble getting a good method for it though hmmm. Why don't you set one of your buttons to mmb?

man_o_mule haha that's always great to hear! :poly121:

I've been trying to hammer out some of the graphical [and other] gripes I've had with it for a while and it's a little more in-tune with the direction I want. I made another quick video here

I've added some:
    • Button hilighting when you hover over or press a button
    • MMB dragging buttons around instead of the slow tedious slide right/left approach
    • lighter background color so the buttons are more pronounced and lets you see more beneath the bar
    • made the titlebar a dark color too so you know where to click to move it around
    • fixed some of the many issues caused by vista :poly124:
    • speed/awesomeness

there's still a bunch I want to add, but that's as far as I was able to get for now!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    really nice update ! :)
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I was thinking about that after pior mentioned it, BeatKitano, still having trouble getting a good method for it though hmmm. Why don't you set one of your buttons to mmb?

I'm not sure i understand your question correctly. The combo I described is for maya-like navigation, everything works with alt+ mouse button. If i do what i think you're saying, i've mmb for pan (for example), right button for rotate, what button do i have for zoom now ? :)

That's why i'm asking this feature, it would be useable in any software (except zbrush but zbrush has his navigation widgets already), with the same gesture.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 19
    BeatKitano you can use the Digital Raster switcher plugin for 3ds max to emulate maya mouse + alt button viewport controls. www.draster.com

[update: sorry bk misunderstood your post]

FB the updates are very cool, thanks for the titillation. I'm looking forward to a release. It's looking like a really great combo of some toolbar apps out there but so much more and better kickingassness (and very nice looking too). Great work man!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robioto ???

What the ?
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Renaud and robioto :D

BeatKitano, I'll have to look into it :)
    I use an intuos3 that has 4 buttons + touch strip at each side of the tablet
    so i usually set 3 of them to alt, control, shift, and then set my second button on the pen to MMB. so then you can navigate in most 3d apps easily. But I know a lot of people who never use those buttons, so I'll still have to see whether or not this is possible with funkybar.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Funky: When I use my intuos3 i'm on a workstation, i don't mind using a keyboard (but standardised ui like yours would be great).

On the other hand, on a tablet pc, when in tablet mode, i have no button other than the stylus (2 buttons + nib), and its where the funkybar would be the most useful.