Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Subway pillar esque thingy-magingy

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
Hadn't posted in a while but I recently took a break from some other projects to try my hand at a real simple pillar (with a bit of battle damage). It's still a work in progress but I would definitely enjoy another pair of eyes on this. So any comments, critiques, concerns you might have let me know. I greatly appreciate it. Anyhoo; the pillar and texture.

Its about 1300 tris right now and I'm using a 1024 as of the moment might shrink it down.

2-2.jpg

As you can see the texture is still WIP but any suggestions are appreciated.
1-2.jpg

Again thanks pals and I look forward to seeing what you think.

Replies

• JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice, but is the hole from wearing down or did it get smashed?

The tiles on the edges of the hole could be busted, worn and dirtied a bit I'd say.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    There needs to be more evidence of what really happened. whats the story here.? I'm sure you dont think a few tiles just sorta fell off all clean and revealed a hole.

The size of the damage makes me think it needs to get the rest of its ass kicked around a bit. ;)
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks neat,i would prefer to have the reinforcing steel bars,to be modeled and show them like penetrating from the inner concrete.Might add more life to the pillar,right now,its kinda pretty clean in shape and more Dirt and leaking pal!

Vj
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm seeing rectangle tiles on a square tiled pillar, except for the one bit where the tiles don't know what size they are?
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to think about it a little more in the pre planning stage. At a guess im gunna say you havn't got any ref of damaged pillars, if you have you havn't looked at them very much. The pillar looks like its been hit by something, a car or the like but there is no evidence of this other than some clean tiles which appear to have miraculously fallen off revealing a large whole.

Even though this is a singular assett in a large environment it should still contribute to the backstory. Maybe a tube train came through this environment, derailed and hit your pillar. That would give you a basis for developing the rest of the environment with a cohesive backstory to work from.

i will start you off with some ref.

http://eat3d.com/pillar

Also try to sort out the texture stretching like odium says.
  • Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I had a few minutes to go back and rework some stuff.

I added some alpha'd rebar to the hole, also messed with the material to add some color variation to the pillar. I'm going to try and dirty up the tile around the destroyed section a little more (but I'm still playing around with what I want).

Anyway here's a small update, tell me what you think:

3-1.jpg

Again thanks for your time.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    a few of those tiles seem like "what the hell how are they staying on." those 3 facing the camera look like that for me.... i dont really see the need for the valve on the pipe but thats your decision.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks like a really nice first pass... but....
    a bit neat feeling, some cracked tiles would be nice, also some material distinction is needed, the spec on the tiles is too un-focused while the metal is too focused, basically everythings coming out somewhere in the middle which is plasticy. if you can split it into two shaders one for the tiles and one for everything else to acheive that glazed look.