Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The new improved site. better than yours!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
qubism polycounter lvl 18
my website brings all the boys to the yard....
ewwwww its better than yours ....

dergraph.com

:thumbup:

lemme know what u guys have to complain about :P

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    wow! a font after me! where are the gibz???

this was the original, FYI

shotgun.BMP

now, the site looks great. fonts are awesome. wave and diamond are just fantastic. i will complain that there are no naked chicks anywhere, this is most scandalous! best of luck with your future in design.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The spacing is all over the place and inconsistent!

mwuahahahahaha
    jk, its sex.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    awesome . . .

I didn't understand the navigation on the design section at first.

Can I have Very Nice?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Slick!
    I really like the thumbnail technique you have on the design section. Awesome!
    Though its weird that is isn't like that on every page so it breaks the consistency a little.

-caseyjones
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    very nice.. great success!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I have a complaint. There is no example of your work immediately displayed when I go to the site. I accept it as a given that some manner of portfolio content should be displayed on the front page. The navigation that is at the bottom is strange, and potentially seizure-inducing when you mouse over it. The top nav is straightforward enough though, so having some fun with the insanity at the bottom is fine.

The actual content seems quite solid. Your gameart in particular has a consistent and appealing style, with unquestionable production value. The overall site is a bit off-beat. But as a design experiment I would say it is quite successful.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful stuff! Little hard to grasp the design-part navigation though. Maybe move the text that says "please click here" to where you're actually supposed to click? :) And yeah, put something to look at up front!
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    sexy....so much inspiration
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    most of it... not there...? I just get black boxes and a white menu.

why does info give me the menu again?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    here are some complaints:

argh lightbox frustrations erh navigation- at least I am annoyed by constantly moving the cursor up (your top menu) and then to the very bottom (close icon on lightbox). Its even hard to trigger- if it would be simply open a image in a page (and as a viewer open them one by one in a new tab) it would be nicer imo.
    After a while I noticed that ESC is supposed to close the gallery- its just that it does not work under Opera :D

96 elements to be loaded on the first run- thats a hell lot - and I did not even see 1 artwork the first launch.

the top menu is hard to read at first (because its so tiny)- the flickering is abit annoying and makes it even harder to read.

nice content
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Renderasdf, 99% of the time you can fast close lightbox by just clicking outside the img (in the black space)

When you open my site you go straight to photography, maybe you should also skip " home" abd let it go to the gameart page when you open the site instead.

It looks clean, nice and easy :)
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea it was mainly about the design section guys..
    the rest has been untouched and im not really working on that at this point...tbh...
    im movin more into design and am not takin gameart all that serious im comparison

im pretty annoyed by the lightbox myself
    thanks for the feedback... i was/will condsider/ing them

rens youre lightbox imagecontainer seems to have some offset problems.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for sharing qubism, I submit.. yer kung fu rules.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah, it does that all the time, its not the most stable script,
    just reload it and it should be fine. (or at least in firefox) :P
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    slick, very slick
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neat stuff like your typeography/fonts <is this right?? anyways design page is sweet, one crit is that on the game art page i couldnt find a link to go back to viewing all of the images together once i had clicked on one.

-Woog
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I liked the previous design. :(
  • naktim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naktim polycounter lvl 9
    oh man
    it's a cool website
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff but takes a while to load for me.

Love the design it is better than mine!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Are those fonts all supposed to be readable, or just "design for designs sake" ? I find them very heavy handed and could only read maybe half of them at best. I also stared at the giant triangle blankly until I realized it was supposed to be a down arrow, so I agree that starting with the first image loaded and the first image thumbnail slit expanded.

I liked some of the clean and simple sans serif fonts on there.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    ...the first image thumbnail slit expanded.

got a practical solution to do this?

i wouldnt even try to make a 2nd helvetica or garamond at this point.
    would be too time consuming and not turn out as good or better than the
    originals. so yea meanwhile im just playin with forms and whatever letters
    i can force em into... so thats a point. legibility is definatly not the main
    focus here. its more about the exploration of certain esthetiques.

so anymore words that are more on specific
    pieces rather than the website itself would be highly appreciated...

doc:

all these are made in illustrator. i didnt invest the time to
    turn em into actual fonts so i cant hand it out hehe
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I'm the last person to ask about how to go about that...My web knowledge is basic HTML, maybe a little on tables (gasp no! web 2.0 sayeth fuck ye tables!) and anything beyond that is...well rudimentary at best.

Now that I think about it though, yeah, starting it expanded could be a bit tricky unless you did it in flash and started it with open as it's mouseOff state and then when you mouse over it at all it converts it to the normal one with b/w + small slit as all of their mouseOff states...but is that worth it? prolly not. Could you do it that way in CSS or Java? I have no idea.

I do enjoy the idea and forms behind stuff like the sine/triangle/wave fonts as well as several others, I just think readability should come first and foremost (back to that whole function dictating form thing I guess that didn't get so well received).

I was constantly surrounded by Visual Communications majors in college so I guess being forcefully immersed in the world of fontage took a massive dump on my brain when it comes to looking at other font creation. It's good that you're going at it through the proper vehicles and taking them all way in Illustrator, a lot can be said about learning from taking them all to completion alone. I do enjoy your abstract work as that, abstractions, I've just never seen a use for abstract fonts so I guess I wasn't sure how to receive them.
  • NZA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NZA polycounter lvl 9
    I really like it man! Good aesthetic. I Like the lateral/bar thumbnails i think it works well except maybe they could be a touch wider so you can see more of what is contained in the thumbnail. One other thing I would suggest - if your going to be applying for game jobs it is probably best to have your game art on the opening page and also, like someone else mentioned, have some art displayed straight away.

Good job tho :thumbup:
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So just letting u guys know... ive been updating my design section allmost daily.
    I have now hit the 100th piece there... :D
    lookin forward to hitting the 200.

so long fellas.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    something must be wrong with my eyes, i can't read any of it

haha, just kidding, it's cool. although the rollover really wasn't very obvious, i had to kind of hunt around even with the tiny arrow showing where to go. seemed to work in the end though, so it's ok i guess :)