Home Technical Talk

You're doing it wrong.

Replies

• Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    this whole discussion is pretty amusing imho..
    and also pretty pointless.
    if people come up with a design, it might look cool, but not necessarily work in RL and vice versa.
    i remember people saying things about my concepts like "hey thats not gonna work etc" if they were a bit "off the earth", but if the same people do EXACTLY the same thing in terms of design, they say: "hey i give a fvkc, its just supposed to look cool".
    and i see exactly the same thing happening here. so wheres the point in discussing this?

eg, some people where complaining about my ut3 characters feet looking like facing backwards, and it never gonna get to work.
    funnily i´ve "nicked" the design for the feet of the original ut3 chars, yet no one complained about these...

in my opinion its always good to think about the functionality of some things before you start modeling them, cause it will always add credebility to the asset, nomatter if its scifi or not.
    doing 1 or 2 days of research doesnt harm anyone, no need to study tank design and wank to manuals...
    but of course artistic freedom (and general game pimpage) should, no matter what, be taken into account, otherwise we´d be just working after blueprints over and over again.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I'm usually the asshole pointing out that something wouldn't work in real life. Honestly, I don't care too much. And if it's a conscious choice to make it that way, that's great. What grinds my gears is when someone makes something without even considering how something should work, or looking at reference of something similar. Really what I advocate is to make shit LOOK like it would work to the average person. Fuck the guys that get all caught up after studying mechanical engineering for 8 years. As long as it looks right to your average audience, I think it's fine.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Harry, are we going to see any of your work or not?
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna...you're doing your pseudo-alliteration all wrong... :poly004:
  • Fliff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dbox150.gif

this would NEVER work now, would it? but it's there! i can see it, god dammit, i must be looking straight into madness itself
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know, i'm not really a very qualified concept artist, but i like to thumbnail/block in shapes for the mood, style, and personality of a character or creature. Then i rationalize it.

Starting with materials and properties and details of how clothing is fitted just seems like work to me. Starting with 'THIS IS BADASS' and then figuring out how the hell it works is a lot more natural and fun, form my perspective. Obviously i keep a general idea of what i'm going for, and maybe look up some rough references before i start working, but i don't really get into detail or logistics until i already have an idea of what i'm working on. Sometimes this means radically altering it because there's just no way to make it fit in the world i want, but it still ends up feeling a lot more organic than when i bury myself under technical details and try to make something cool out of it.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Starting with 'THIS IS BADASS' and then figuring out how the hell it works
    Henceforth referred to as the CliffyB.

"Chainsaw on a gun? Hell yea!"
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    glib wrote: »
    Henceforth referred to as the CliffyB.

"Chainsaw on a gun? Hell yea!"

I like to imagine the war preceding the locust thing, between humans, was in fact some kind of a cold war built on an arms race for the manliest weapons in the world.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    I like to imagine the war preceding the locust thing, between humans, was in fact some kind of a cold war built on an arms race for the manliest weapons in the world.
    I assumed it was more of a genocide where they wiped out anyone without a soulpatch.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Haha Rumkugel that is awesome.