Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'Sic Luceat Lux' - 2d stencil work

justin_greenaway_sicluceatlux_1000res_old01.jpg

'Sic Luceat Lux', roughly translated from Latin means 'Thus Let The Light Shine'. (Wanky name, I know.) :D

It's the latest stencil themed painting I've finished in my spare time.

Crits are welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• BuCC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy Awesome-sausome!
    The only crit I can think of is the stars right below the eyes. To me they don't look like they belong there.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I dont like the gradient fade out- it kills the style. You have rounded outlines where in a propper execution it should have edgy and sharp edges - its like bluring out the details- I assume this is because of photoshop and its default behaviour of the outline effect.

As for the composition I think the wings with the arms are very dense- the fingers and fists are hard to read. The feet and the banner are to close to each other- some overlapping or more spacing would be better there.
    I dont like the font - it looks random executed- maybe check:
    http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=401&page=1&nb_ppp_old=10&text=Type+your+text+here&nb_ppp=20&psize=l&classt=pop
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BuCC> Cheers man!

renderhjs> Thanks for the crits dude, you make some good points and I'll definitely rework this and submit an update in the next few days.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    nice so far man....agree with renderhjs in that the gradient fade is a bit jarring, and arms/ hands are hard to read...
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Gav, here's an update of progress so far. I'm still working on making the arms easier to read, mainly removing small details and adding more well defined lines and shapes.

Not sure if I want to revise the font or not yet...

justin_greenaway_sicluceatlux_1000res.jpg
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure if it's what you're going for or something, but this definitely does not look like a "sir" to me. The torso/hips/face are all extremely feminine...

Also, that font makes it look like "Sic" rather than "Sir".

Other than that it's very cool looking, good work man. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ... learn 2 read :P
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there, this is awesome! I think its great. I actually liked the gradient fade, it was like an optical illusion, like you were seeing past the reality. Now it looks like more like a proper drawing though. haha.

Can you show us how you did it. Im havent seen the way people do stencil drawing in photoshop before. Can you show some stencils?

I also like the androgyny, which he does have. I think you should keep the breast looking armor plates and actually give him longer hair to take that butch edge off. very Jrpg

One crit ill agree with is the stars under the eyes, they look out of place there, but keep them on the face.... just widen the distance between them a little so they are on the high cheeks maybe. perhaps remove those double moles.

Finally, i dont know the proper armor term but the codpiece flag in the front with the checkers, I dont like the checkers there really. perhaps an asymetrical design there or something, not checkers though.

great work!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey like the work, i do think that it works better without the gradient fade in the back. I dont want to insult anyone's style, but with the gradient in the black and white it seemed like tatoo art to me, which i like alot, but its just kinda strange to see as concept work.

-Woog
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys! They're all much appreciated. Especially you guys in Vancouver, you must be smoking the good shit out there. :D

Just to clarify, it is meant to be a chick.

I've yet to have a play around with those face stars and checkered loincloth, but I will get to it! Just for tonight I did a quick mock-up of an alternate line pattern, I'm not sure which I prefer, so I'm keen to know what you guys think.

Microneezia> Unfortunately I don't have any stencil tricks to show you, this was all done using the standard Photoshop paintbrush tool. I've seen people do some pretty cool stuff using the pen tool, but this was all done the old-school painstaking way. :P

justin_greenaway_sicluceatlux_1000res_mockup.jpg
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    looks good, but agree with the peeps who said the arms/hands area is hard to read. face is a bit generic. feet have a strange sense of perspective, makes them seem club like.

on a side note, this would never work as a spray stencil, way too many layers would have to be involved. it would however work as a silk screen.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on a side note, this would never work as a spray stencil, way too many layers would have to be involved. it would however work as a silk screen.

Really? Although I didn't intend this to be a spray stencil, I was under the impression layers were only used to add more tones to the stencil. Like, a layer for every colour used, that sort of thing. This being a two-tone piece, I imagined only two layers would theoretically be used at most. Although I've never actually made/used a spray stencil. :P

Thanks for the feedback, dude.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    totally dude! anything i can do to help! i do a lot of spray paint stencils, and your right that layers are used primary to add tones/colors, but they can also be used for very complex designs.

take a look at the stars you have above the character as an example. lets say that you were cutting out the black and the white represents the paper. because of the outline on the star that connects to the star bursts out from the center there is no way that you could cut that out of single piece of paper.
    think about it in terms of "islands" and "bridges"
    [shamelessly stolen from the webs, not mine]:
    stencil11.jpg

basically you want to make sure that you could cut this out of a single piece of cardboard/plastic/acetate or that you could cut distinct layers out, and spray one over the top of the other ot achieve the effect your looking for.

im not sure that made sense, but if it didnt feel free to ask questions.