Home General Discussion

Unity 3D for windows

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Hey polycounters I just got an email about this

"Windows Editor Support
Unity 2.5 adds full support for Windows Vista and XP, with 100% feature parity and interoperability with Mac OS X. The Unity Editor has been rebuilt to look, feel, and function identically on both operating systems, each running the same underlying engine. The best part? Unity on either platform can build games for either platform -- cross-platform in the truest sense."

http://unity3d.com/unity/coming-soon/unity-2.5

looks exciting! anyone been developing on unity? my friend really wants to get into the whole iphone 3D game development side of this, I might use unity for interactive visualisation at work.

Replies

• pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    even though i have no idea whatsoever how to program, i find the idea of unity very exciting.

if i ever find myself a tame programmer then who knows...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    pc version brings 3ds Max Importing

fer u max heds

If anyone gets the pre release next week at the global game Jam. please share in all dem details here.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Yea unity is cool!
    I know someone who has started to learn it to programm Iphone games. Its quiet easy to code from what I heard.
  • rul119
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    Hey polycounters I just got an email about this

"Windows Editor Support
    Unity 2.5 adds full support for Windows Vista and XP, with 100% feature parity and interoperability with Mac OS X. The Unity Editor has been rebuilt to look, feel, and function identically on both operating systems, each running the same underlying engine. The best part? Unity on either platform can build games for either platform -- cross-platform in the truest sense."

http://unity3d.com/unity/coming-soon/unity-2.5

looks exciting! anyone been developing on unity? my friend really wants to get into the whole iphone 3D game development side of this, I might use unity for interactive visualisation at work.

you need a mac to develop for iphone, unity iphone is a different app that requires a mac with the iphone sdk installed

unity is great i´ve been using it for some time now, the indie license is cheap and you can build for windows,mac, and browser.... now authoring on windows that is totally awesome
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I can not wait!
    B
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    This is quite glorious :o
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    From the beginning of its development, Unity was forward-thinking in its approach to cross-platform support. They developed it using Mono, which is a cross-platform compatible port of the .NET JIT compilers. Essentially, it lets you program and run software written for the .NET framework on pretty much any platform.

The possibility of a Windows port of Unity has always been a viable option. The real surprise isn't that Unity is coming to Windows, but that it started off on Mac. And I applaud the Unity team for this move. Not only did they focus on refining their engine before working on a Windows port, but they are doing everything they can to make the two versions identical. They had already made the Unity engine cross-platform. Bringing the editor to Windows could easily double their sales in the coming months. (and those numbers will only increase as more people hear about Unity)

It's nice to see such a solid multi-platform engine and toolset being developed.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the heads up! They've been talking about this forever so it's great to see it's actually coming in the next major build.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I just went over to their website and checked out the new feature set. Built-in importing support for Blender's native file format? Yes please! I also checked out the Price tag. For what they are offering, $200 USD is beginning to look like a bargain. Hell, that's cheaper than most commercial 3D modelling applications. I'm thinking a purchase might very well be in order.

The Windows issue was actually why I hadn't bought into Unity already. I have a Mac, but its an older G5, and has always had stability issues. (the darn thing will freeze up randomly, I've never been sure why) I have two commercial copies of Windows XP, so having the editor on that operating system is a must. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Kovac wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! They've been talking about this forever so it's great to see it's actually coming in the next major build.

No problem, I was excited about unity about a year ago and gave it a try on a mac at work and was really impressed but kinda sad it wasnt on pc so this is something I really was looking forward to. I might not even buy unity myself as Im not really a developer more just a game artist but Im just excited about the possibilities/opportunities it creates :)

rul119 - sad to hear theres no development kit for the iphone on the pc, maybe this will come in time? it would only be better for iphone sales if loads of great games get made for it by pc users
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    It's a really good engine. Graphically it's not UE, but there are some decent graphical capabilities as well. You can do lots of stuff simply by drag-dropping, but it gets a lot funnier once you get into some scripting. I've managed to do some fun, simple games with basic javascript. The documentation is excellent.
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was under the impression that there wasn't a Windows version, but instead, Unity could now publish to a WIn EXE.

Am I mistaken? I hope so!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The recent announcement that Ged has brought to our attention is that the next major release of Unity is going to have a Windows version of its primary editing suite. Apparently, you will be able to create, edit, and publish Unity projects on either Windows or Mac.
  • Ballo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballo polycounter lvl 9
    I didn´t know about this app. look cool! I want to test it.