Home Technical Talk

Quick UV Question?

question.jpg

Are the UV's inside the green square overlapping the UV's in the blue square? I know the UV's inside the blue square are overlapping the big square inside of there, but I was wondering about same spots but on different parts of the grid? That is all Thanks! :)

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Are you aware that the UVs in the Green square are not contained within the 0-1 UV space (upper right quadrant)? My guess is this is causing whatever problem you are referring to.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    Are you aware that the UVs in the Green square are not contained within the 0-1 UV space (upper right quadrant)? My guess is this is causing whatever problem you are referring to.

There is no problem, I am laying this out and I was wondering...So does everything need to be located in the 0-1 UV space?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Well the texture map is tiled in the other quadrants. So the UVs in your Green Square use the same texture as those long-narrowed UVs to the right in the Blue square. At least if you have a Place2DTexture node connected to your File node, not sure if it is tiled otherwise.

It is hard to tell since the work area in your screenshots are kind of cluttered. But by default this is how it should be, tiled that is.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde wrote: »
    It is hard to tell since the work area in your screenshots are kind of cluttered. But by default this is how it should be, tiled that is.

By default that is how what should be?

Lets say for instance, I am going to take this object and bake something out of it. Well I have read that if your UV's overlap is will bake out incorrectly. If I baked those UV's in the original post, would the ones in green be overlapping the ones in blue?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Yes that is probably likely.

In most cases, if not all, you want to contain ALL of your UVs in the 0-1 space. Try using the Image > Shade UVs feature in the UV Editor Window. It might help you identify where it overlaps or not.

***EDIT***

The reason it would "overlap" would probably then be because the Bake feature would only store data within the 0-1 UV range. Come to think of it, this might actually mean that any UV outside of the 0-1 space would not generate any Bake data that is stored in the texture produced.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have UVs that would overlap and share the same texture, then offsetting them by exactly 1 will put the uvs outside the boundary box.
    This is ok.
    If you do this then they share the same texture but not the same UVs. You may need to take out the offset though, once you are ready to put it into a game engine, but many should support you leaveing it as is. Just be sure to offset by exactly one so that they line up right and you should be ok. I use this alot for baking out ambient occ and normal maps.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    AnimeAngel wrote: »
    If you have UVs that would overlap and share the same texture, then offsetting them by exactly 1 will put the uvs outside the boundary box.
    This is ok.
    If you do this then they share the same texture but not the same UVs. You may need to take out the offset though, once you are ready to put it into a game engine, but many should support you leaveing it as is. Just be sure to offset by exactly one so that they line up right and you should be ok. I use this alot for baking out ambient occ and normal maps.

I am curious. In what way do you use this method?
    The way I interpret what you wrote is that you first offset some UV shells, only to place them back at same spot again. This would give you a non-overlapping UV map for baking as you mentioned. But what do you need the non-overlapping baked texture for if you intend to place the UVs back at original (overlapping) location again?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you transfer maps you won't have several shells rendering on top of each other. Only one shell will render inside the "live space" the one that counts. The shells outside aren't captured but it doesn't matter because they use the same space on the map, just one tile over.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I get that part. But what certain part of the overlapping ones do you want? Any why that part?

Lets say that you have UV shells A, B and C. B and C overlaps each other, so you move C out of the 0-1 space just for the sake of baking, to avoid overlapping results. But why keep B in 0-1 space and not C? And if you plan on moving them back again won't C look awkward since it's using B's baked texture?