Home Technical Talk

Cant figure how to construct this

Hey everyone, ive bin trying for weeks and weeks, to acomplish something similar in design but to no avail, i cant figure out how its contructed and how they get it to loop

here is what im talking about (the roof)

If some one could explain to me how they think they did it, that would be swell :)

1.jpg

Replies

• multivac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't tell you exactly how they did it because i don't really understand what you need,but i can at least give you a term for it for reference and stuff-groin vault(yeah,really)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groin_vault
  • fortheweekend_
    wow, thanks man.

its always good to know the names of things, and the images there help alot cheers ;)
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Well break it down to basic forms first, you can always worry about the details later. One way to do this: 1. just some cylinders and a box 2. then taper modifier if you use max 3. create shape from loops and arrange the elements
    53pfo2.jpg
  • stop619
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stop619 polycounter lvl 8
    great tutorial Vic!

i was wondering, could you explain a little on how you got the "spines" onto stage 3?

i'm thinking about how i would do it and i'm sure that has to be an easier way.

one thing for sure, i need to start looking at things and breaking them down into their primitive shapes. for simple shapes it almost automatic, but i would have never thought about something more complex like this roof system.

Marc

copyvj1.jpg
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Slice in the center of the curved roof/chamfer so you have 2 edge loops / extrude extrude polygons inbetween those edgeloops. Pretty straight forward, it doesnt need to be complicated and simply trying different ways usually rewards us quicker with answers.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah not to be a bad guy here but instead of just asking everyone how to model something simply just trying shapes and seeing what works is a much better solution.

That's how you learn and develop your own work flow and begin to understand what shapes work, what doesn't, what the modifiers in max do and how they can help.

Don't be afraid to try new things and fail and learn from those failures. There is no easy button with this stuff so just plug away at it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stop619 wrote: »
    i was wondering, could you explain a little on how you got the "spines" onto stage 3?
    In 3dsmax, you can select any edge(s), and in Edit Poly there is a "create Shape" button that turns the selection into a spline. You can then either turn on rendering in the splines parameters, or apply the Sweep modifier which will loft a few different kinds of default shapes, or use a custom shape. Great for trim, molding, wires, pipes, all kinds of details.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: »
    or apply the Sweep modifier which will loft a few different kinds of default shapes, or use a custom shape. Great for trim, molding, wires, pipes, all kinds of details.

Every couple of days I learn something new. And so often it comes from you vig, thanks a lot!
  • fortheweekend_
    thanks alot man, ive bin slaving over this for ages now nothing worked lol ill post what i come up with

Edit* ta-da here it is, first shot aswell, so its only going to get better with practise, thanks everyone!

groinvaulthn3.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    This is why Polycount rocks.
  • stop619
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stop619 polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, Vig. Sweep rocks!

Marc