Home Technical Talk

Hi and, more learning

Hey all. My colleague comes here often and i think it looks awesome.

I dont get as much time to spend on art as i want to but i do create art for the personal projects i work on. Lately, im working on modelling a character using a three quarter view (apparently my colleague is a 3d master) but i appeared to be failing epically. Its almost as if i was modelling with a blindfold on...

So here was my first few concepts of the character :
rev2wc6.jpg

So im looking into tutorials or, methods of modelling from a single sketch?
I dont think ill find the detailing / modelling difficult once i have form but laying foundations is trapping me.

Any ideas/advice is awesome.

Replies

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    wait... why on earth would you want to make a model from a single 3/4 sketch? I mean sure, people do it from time to time. But I certainly wouldn't say it was the ideal approach for someone starting out...... I'd recommend drawing up a front and side view and modeling from there
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Archanex and thanks.
    Some notes : Im no stranger to modelling and im a massive fan of 3d work. What im asking is extending my ability by learning this method (from a single sketch) as i find it interesting.

Thats what i meant by looking for reference, to learn...not to start out.

I like the concept behind this kind of modelling by principle, due the non limiting factor of the concept sketch. The back is free game, along with a lot of the smaller details that i want to create at a later stage when the foundation of the character is there. One thing i forgot was its based on a human, so normal propertions can help me along (i now have a torso with minimal shaping).

Either way, if you know of any reference id like to check em out.
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chartorsozb1.jpg

Here is some progress, but its an different approach i took this time, got some different results.
    Comments crit welcome... But im still looking for some research behind the methods (or if its just modelling by ear)
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mass out the entirety of your model before starting with details.

I decided this approach now actually, using a normal character to base the body on, when its done, i can model the top suit pieces on top, as a seperate mesh.. This way i can reuse the base for something else lol.

Thanks for the advice
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    About the 3q thing, yeh you can do it that way and personally I feel it helps filling in the gaps predicting model design, what ties in etc. but also it helps you understand level of detail so that a model has consistent detail.
    There's a major flaw with that method though, when you have to think on the fly as it were and complete details with no plan, things tend to lose rythm, especially in a complicated model. So I wouldn't attempt it unless you just want to experiment privately or you are a veteran modeller.
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GCMP , that makes sense..

I was finding that this method was interesting because of the more experimental style of not sticking completely to the sketch. Below are some wip, and as you can see the progression is way off the sketch so far. BUt, i am enjoying this and i love where its headed! Its interesting to see what comes from this...

Thanks for the comments! Crit and comments welcome.. Im keen on learning (im currently modelling in blender which i havent used in about 4 years lol and its a new technique of subdiv style modelling for me)

wip1cz2.jpg
    wip2pf5.jpg
    wip4ml9.jpg
    wip3ee6.jpg
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ch2dl8.jpg
    ch3aq2.jpg

just some progress, its further than this, but yea.
    Advice welcome

Also, its too bulky. im still slimming it tighter to more like the sketch, more body suit like.