Home Technical Talk

Can one import vertex colour into Zbrush from another app ?

Hi
I have put the same post on thr Zbrush forums but thoughtI would try my luck here.

Does anyone out there know of any plug-in for z brush that will allow you to import the vertex colour data on a mesh from another app?

As far as I know obj format scrubs the vertex colour data, only .3ds files, .dae (collada format) and .FBX support vert colours - But they are not compatible with zbrush

Anyone got a magic tool that transfers *.dae to *.ztl biggrin2.gif

I ask as I have started playing about with a free app online which will convert your photos into a 3D relief, the app generates only vert colours on the mesh – rather than an texture and UVW.

I am hoping to use Zbrush to render the vert colours on the mesh into a diffuse texture- and continue to sculpt edit and play in the usual Zbrush fasion.

Hence the above question.

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You could bake the texture in another program (ex: max/maya), then import that into zbrush and convert the texture back to vert colors from their.
  • McJAKe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers -
    Yeah I guessthats gonna have to be the plan - I believe that .FBX supports vert colour will save out he mesh in that format and dump some uvs on the mesh and bake the vert colours onto a texture take it back into Z brush for the fun part.
  • McJAKe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to post a bit of info on a web based image based modelling app that I have started playing around with (WHich raised the above questions).
    http://3dsee.net/Main.aspx
    Basically it will convert your photos into a 3D relief. You will need to set up an account- log onto the web site and then submit a series of photos, which the app then uses to generate the 3D surface- (I suggest minimum of 8 or so in focus shots of your surface – moving your camera parallel to the surface during your shoot).
    Once you have uploaded your images- you can crop the section o f the photo you require - through the site, once that's done the site will then email you (when the images have been processed ) to come and collect your 3D mesh- The site has a cool 3D preview function, which allows you to scale preview your 3d model( you will need java installed browser), and a gallery of previous photos and resulting 3D models created by the app.
    The web based version of the app only supports relief style 3D surfaces – but as I understand it the commercial app will support full 3D turn around mesh creation without any of the usual fiddling with reference point/calibration that is usually involved with image based modelling.
    Note there is also .ply to collada converter on the web-site, go to http://3dsee.net/faq/view/4/23 to download the file (it only works for windows and its not spyware).
    I’m working on some pointers on getting out the best out of your shoot and ways of integrating the high poly mesh data spat out and ready for editing and re-use within Zbrush.