Home Technical Talk

Autodesk smarts

Ctrl+S Save File
Ctrl+S Toggle Shrink
Ctrl+S Add Scene Event
Ctrl+S Soft Selection
Ctrl+S Snap

Those are Max shortcuts.
Only some of those are limited to working in a specific window. Soft Selection for instance? Yeah, that shit toggles everytime you save.

Interesting, right?

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Yea the default shortcuts in max are really incredible! :D
    I also like shift+c when you are working with camera keys, what were they thinking?

And the setup with all the specific windows is also non sense to me, did they do that so you can make shortcuts for all the 10000 functions in max with haveing enough key combinations?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, didn't know about those. I'm glad I don't have to use Max a lot. Giving Snap and Soft Selection the same shortcut is kind of a joke I think.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    There were other hotkeys that confused me. In my nth attempt to get comfortable with Max, I downloaded some hotkey guides. I think the biggest problem was shortcuts that used Alt. If you were not in the correct mode, it simply opens a main menu dropdown. Others only worked in Mesh Edit, but not Poly Edit.

Soft Selection and Snap are two that I would use often. I learned the hard way never to use snap in the 3D viewport. Nice work Autodesk.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    haha, i think by now i have a custom shorcut key or a button somewhere for everything i use, default max shortcut keys are really shitty =).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long post short: Turn off Keyboard Shortcut Override.

1) I agree they are pretty shit.

2) They are customizable and portable so do it once and complain no more. For something you probably use every day....

3) This is a big one and gets most people, they are contextually sensitive and keyboard shortcut override changes the context.
    If you want CTRL-S (when you're in sub-object mode) to save instead of toggle soft select, turn off Keyboard Shortcut Override. Or if you really do want your sub-object shortcuts to override the main 3ds max shortcuts, leave it on either way I suggest you take the really easy way out, and bind CTRL-Shift-S to save as.

[rant]
    If you really do want separate shortcuts for everything go ahead and make it convoluted. They give you the power to make smart shortcuts just as much as back assward ones. Personally I like having one command that cuts in whatever mode I'm in.
    [/rant]

As for snap in the 3D viewport, I use it all the time. It's important to turn on 3D snap AND what you want to snap to, pivot, vert, edge center ect. (It's part of the same menu) I think it defaults to pivot which would explain most frustration people have with it.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I complained about that stuff on the autodesk forums and got barked out by fanboys.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    holy jesus crotch!
    yeah thats insanely poor UI design.
    then there's all those useful functions that are hidden behind thick iron curtains somewhere deep in the help files.
    for example, i found a very handy renaming utility that i constantly use deep inside the 3ds max maxscript documentation.
    and those modifier buttons.. they're gold. i constantly use them. yet they're not part of the default UI? retarded.
    whoever is running the operation of mangling the 3ds max UI should be tied up, stuffed into a bag, driven out at the middle of sea, and thrown off the boat. preferably attached to something heavy.
    dunno, thrown into a pool of starving piranhas and chewed to the bones would also be a suitable fate.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dusty wrote: »
    I complained about that stuff on the autodesk forums and got barked out by fanboys.

haha. Nice.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    holy jesus crotch!
    yeah thats insanely poor UI design.
    then there's all those useful functions that are hidden behind thick iron curtains somewhere deep in the help files.
    for example, i found a very handy renaming utility that i constantly use deep inside the 3ds max maxscript documentation.
    Heh I guess Tools > Rename Objects is too easy. Or F1 > Search > Rename not work for ya?
    dejawolf wrote: »
    and those modifier buttons.. they're gold. i constantly use them. yet they're not part of the default UI? retarded.
    The last one I'll give ya if you're talking about these? I use them all the time also. There are other floating toolbars they hide, that should be out, like animation layers, I use that all the time, I think array is hidden now also?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Heh I guess Tools > Rename Objects is too easy. Or F1 > Search > Rename not work for ya?

The last one I'll give ya if you're talking about these? I use them all the time also. There are other floating toolbars they hide, that should be out, like animation layers, I use that all the time. I think array is hidden now also?

yeah, they hide all sorts of tools, and make broken tools very visible.
    that old mirror tool is completely broken, and yet its STILL at the main UI bar, which is completely ridicolous. its messed up the rotation axis of countless objects i've made, along with destroying the Xform. nowadays i only use the mirror modifier, or the symmetry modifier, and have deleted the mirror tool from the main UI bar, and the menu.

here's my current UI layout:
    http://www.dejawolf.com/polycount/dejasmaxUI.jpg
    i've probably removed half of the main upper toolbars buttons, and have done some pretty heavy fat-trimming off of the menus as well:
    http://www.dejawolf.com/polycount/menus.jpg
    there's still some stuff in there that i thought might be useful, but that i've simply never used.
    oh well, bbl, just rediscovered patch modeling. gonna see what i can do with that stuff heh.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per: Haven't used max in a while, and I just started at work. Virgin white, Uncustomised Max :O
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    For someone unfamiliar with the app, and wanting to get up to speed quickly, standard shortcuts would be beneficial when following tutorials.

I know users are asking a lot from Autodesk, it's not easy owning the entire 3D animation industry. They could create an updated and efficient hotkey set and release it as an install option? Or just a complete rewrite. Or, continue with their plan and place more support and attention on the other more up-to-date apps they've recently purchased.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    I know users are asking a lot from Autodesk, it's not easy owning the entire 3D animation industry.

true. so why the hell are they owning the entire 3d animation industry?
    my alternatives:
    1. they're a bunch of evil greedy megalomaniacs.
    2.... uhm...
  • [Deleted User]
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    I know users are asking a lot from Autodesk, it's not easy owning the entire 3D animation industry.
    Maybe they shouldn't have bought it all then
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I'm surprised some programmer didn't make it so you couldn't have multiple functions bound to the same shortcut. It's just lazy programming, especially for something that would take less than 20 minutes including a coffee break to implement.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Well, there are also other options. Maya has about 20 shortcuts by default, most of them assigned to things you'll rarely need. Blender has Save tied to Ctrl+W, to confuse the newbies.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie: 'It's really much better once you get used to it'™
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I try not to customise 3D apps too much. Often you need to walk over to someone and show them how to do this and that, and you spend a few seconds embarrassing yourself by having forgotten basic Maya / 3ds max UI :P
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Damn perna, thats pretty slick!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    per i want that!!!! How do you set up small icons like that and remove the bottom tool bars completely??
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    1st q: preferences>general, uncheck Use Large T. buttons (why is it even on as a default, beats me)

2nd q: I use this script, I believe it`s from scriptspot
    macroScript Macro6
    	category:"DragAndDrop"
    	toolTip:""
    (
    	( 
    	val = trackbar.visible 
    	trackbar.visible = not val 
    	timeSlider.setVisible (not val) 
    	statusPanel.visible = not val 
    	) 
    )

Also dont forget dark ui theme, and CTRL+X, when you dont need the command panel.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a bit confused. My default shortcuts don't match that. 'S' by itself toggles snap. There is no default soft selection toggle. Same for shrink. Why are your 'defaults' different than mine out of the box?
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    jesus thanks so much, I've been using max all these years and didn't even know you could make the icons small :S.
    Do you also know if it's possible to remove buttons from the main toolbar? Like the render button and that kinda stuff, since i never use them.

The dark UI theme is cool but i personally like working with the bright one more, i find it easier on the eyes =).
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Feel your pain dude, those large icons are a distraction and a waste of screen space. Removing buttons is luckily easy, just right click on them and choose delete (Make sure Save UI config on exit in Preferences is on, to keep your changes after you close Max)

edit: if right click doesnt work, just alt+drag the sucker to the viewport :)
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    thanks again, right click and delete didn't work on all the buttons, so i just created a new toolbar with only the stuff i want in it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was a smart move creating new toolbars. I created an "unwanted" toolbar and moved the unwanted buttons into it and just keep it hidden.

CTRL-Drag = Copy button
    ALT-Drag = Move button

If you need to delete buttons that are part of the core max UI (like if you copy one instead of move it) you can create a new tool bar (I call it delete), move the unwanted buttons, then delete the toolbar through the Customize UI menu.

Per, I like it. I like it a lot. You've inspired me to cut out more fluff and do up some custom icons. Good stuff.
    I push the simplicity as far as I can but there are a lot of animation tools I'll have to leave out.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saving UI is very handy, however, just using the default UI saves doesn't save everything.
    you also need to save 3dsmax.ini and reconfigure the file paths for your new computer.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    vik wrote: »
    1st q: preferences>general, uncheck Use Large T. buttons (why is it even on as a default, beats me)

2nd q: I use this script, I believe it`s from scriptspot
    macroScript Macro6
    	category:"DragAndDrop"
    	toolTip:""
    (
    	( 
    	val = trackbar.visible 
    	trackbar.visible = not val 
    	timeSlider.setVisible (not val) 
    	statusPanel.visible = not val 
    	) 
    )

Also dont forget dark ui theme, and CTRL+X, when you dont need the command panel.

with is script you can turn it on and off, just bind it to a button or so =)!
    macroScript BottomToggle
    	category:"Peristools"
    	toolTip:"Toggle bottom bars"

(if (trackbar.visible == false) then
    (
    trackbar.visible = true
    timeslider.setvisible true
    statusPanel.visible = true

)
    else

(
    trackbar.visible = false
    timeslider.setvisible false
    statusPanel.visible = false
    	))

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    the first one works the same way for me Peris.

Very useful shit in here. Thanks guys!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    the first one works the same way for me Peris.

haha, nevermind then! I figured it only worked at startup =)
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    thats why it didnt work for me then, i had already installed another script that only removes the timeslider!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha ha! nice. Fine, I'm now stealing Peris' script. Take that!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you change it a tiny bit you can have it hide the command panel it will turn the script into a much improved (more customizable) expert mode (ctrl-x) one that leaves the upper toobar (and your custom toolbars) and hides everything else =)
    macroScript ExpertMode
        category:"PerisTools"
        toolTip:"Expert Mode"
    ( 
        fn togglebotoff = 
            (
                trackbar.visible = false 
                timeSlider.setVisible (false) 
                statusPanel.visible = false 
            )

fn toggleboton = 
            (
                trackbar.visible = true 
                timeSlider.setVisible (true) 
                statusPanel.visible = true 
            )

if cui.commandPanelOpen == false and trackbar.visible == false then
            (
                toggleboton()
                cui.commandPanelOpen = true
            )

else
            (
                togglebotoff()
                cui.commandPanelOpen = false 
            )
    )

Now slum needs to come up with a catchy name =p
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    That was a smart move creating new toolbars. I created an "unwanted" toolbar and moved the unwanted buttons into it and just keep it hidden.

CTRL-Drag = Copy button
    ALT-Drag = Move button

If you need to delete buttons that are part of the core max UI (like if you copy one instead of move it) you can create a new tool bar (I call it delete), move the unwanted buttons, then delete the toolbar through the Customize UI menu.

omg so you can move those damn buttons!

Now a problem has arised! I moved the "Reference coordinate system" pull down into my own toolbar and then it stopped working (the pulldown goes blank). So I dragged it back to the main toolbar and its still blank... This happens to all the pulldowns in the main toolbar, once you drag it to a new toolbar it messes up.

Anyone know how to fix? :/

On another note, is there any way to put my main toolbar in the modifier panel? Like this (in the top right corner);

maxui.jpg

Another question, is there a way to drag the bottom "absolute mode type-in" thingy onto my main toolbar? Since I've hidden the status bar I want that thing back...
    And if there is, and the answer to my 2nd question is doable, then is there any way to make 2 rows for the main toolbar so the transform type in goes above the modifier panel along with my missing reference coordinate system pull down?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALT-Drag = Move button

:poly115:

Excellent!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora wrote: »
    omg so you can move those damn buttons!

Now a problem has arised! I moved the "Reference coordinate system" pull down into my own toolbar and then it stopped working (the pulldown goes blank).
    yea don't do that. The only way I've found to reverse that, is to reset the UI and leave them in the toolbar they belong, drag the unwanted stuff out and drag in what I want.
    On another note, is there any way to put my main toolbar in the modifier panel? Like this (in the top right corner);
    You can drag your toolbar and dock it on either side (running vertical) but not ontop. You can also dock things running vert on the left side of the screen also. Photoshop nuts like that quite a bit.
    Another question, is there a way to drag the bottom "absolute mode type-in" thingy onto my main toolbar? Since I've hidden the status bar I want that thing back...
    Not that I know of, BUT F12 brings it up as floating window when you need it.
    And if there is, and the answer to my 2nd question is doable, then is there any way to make 2 rows for the main toolbar so the transform type in goes above the modifier panel along with my missing reference coordinate system pull down?
    If you detach any tool bar by dragging away from its dock, it will become a floating toolbar. You can then redock it under the main toolbar. The main problem is that it justifies everything you dock, to the left... very lame.

Now there is an extremely ghetto way to get your custom toolbar over above the modify panel, and that's to create one button that does nothing. If you turn off fixed width text buttons, you can name that button a long string of spaces. Like I said very ghetto, but would "work". This is one part of the 3dsmax interface that needs a rewrite...

How to create a blank button:
    macroScript blank
        category:"blank"
        buttonText:"                                           "
        (
        )

- Open the maxscript editor, copy paste the above code into the window.
    - On the "ButtonText" line add spaces between the quotes, normally this is the name displayed on the button.
    - When you're done, hit ctrl-e. It will look like nothing happens.
    - Close the window and go into Customize > Customize UI > Toolbars > Change the catagory to blank.
    - Create a new toolbar, and drag blank into it.
    - If you need more spaces you can right click the button and choose "edit macro script". Save it, evaluate it (Ctrl-E) and it should update. If not restart 3dsmax.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh thanks a lot.

I knew about the docking stuff but I was just wanting a better solution, because side docking still creates a lot of wasted UI space. Also side docking kills the pull down menus like the ref coord system.

I guess I'll just stick with a floating main toolbar then.

The whole point of wanting to put the toolbar above the modifiers isnt for clicking purposes, I want the viewport to take up that wasted space above so the ghetto solution really doesnt fix anything :p
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    My max setup right now =)
    supermax.gif

I'm cleaning up the menu bar aswel but everytime i remove that tentacles tab it reappears on startups. Anyone know how i can get rid of it? I'm not interested in buying turbosquid models >:(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool set up =)

To get rid of tentacles you can uninstall it using add/remove programs in the windows control panel. Yea super annoying when it doesn't go away...
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Cool set up =)

To get rid of tentacles you can uninstall it using add/remove programs in the windows control panel. Yea super annoying when it doesn't go away...

thx, i did it another way, found a tentacles folder in /plugins that i deleted, that also did the job =)

EDIT: haha some guy asked turbosquid how to do it, and got this back:
    You will not be able to completely remove all references to Tentacles. TurboSquid Tentacles is now packaged with Max by Autodesk and is part of the application’s functionality.

Regards,
    TurboSquid Member Services
    Such bullshit
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peris you really dont use the reference coord system? I switch between view and local quite often, and occasionally use screen and parent... how do you use these without the pulldown?
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    i have buttons to switch between them on the right, the one looking like a target and the one below!
    I'm thinking now of moving the command panel and my toolbar to the left.. but that will probably be weird to my brain for a while.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Haha - love the trimmed down UI's! Great stuff.

The one that always gets me is CTRL+I - it seems to work when it feels like it, almost at random. Still, most things can still be got through the menus.

Another program I use all the time, probably more than max, is Imageline's FLStudio - they recently introduced a new version ( 8 ), which changes shortcut cut keys that have been in place since at least version 5, and with no option to customise them, so now you're busy pressing the left shift,left ctrl or left and left alt , and all has been remapped to the right buttons, so you need to relearn half your ingrained shortcuts all over again.

gg.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've got another one for you guys. The only bit I ever use on the bottom toolbars are the x,y,z boxes for precise moving. Can I pull those into another toolbar (including the button that changes between absolute and relative) then put that into the top toolbar (that has newfound spare room thanks to this thread!)?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't believe so (or I just don't know), but you can rightclick the translation (move, rotate, scale) to get a little floating version of that. Should work pretty well.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F12 also brings up the type in move box, in a floating window. That way you can hide the entire bottom bar, and pull it up when you need it.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah perfect, thanks guys. BTW, all you guys who are hiding the command panel just need a second monitor to float it on ;).
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an object at 23.482, 91.954, 37.294, I then go to the transform tool, and type in 25, 90, 40. Max looks at that and says: 25.001, 89.999, 39.999. That's close enough right?

Well, yes, max, but WHY would you not just put it where the fuck I told you to put it instead!?

Anyone know how to make max understand?
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    *** nub alert ***

ok so ive been getting or trying to get back into max for the purpose of learning it more thoroughly and trying to setup my keyboard shortcuts and some dont work?

For instance: Im in Editable Poly mode and I set my shortcut for "Collapse" in the Editable Poly section. Go back to the viewport, select some verts and hit the key - nothing happens. When I hit the Collapse button though, everything collapses like its supposed to, wtf? This happens for a number of things too. Also why are some action/shortcuts in the customize window bolded?

*** end nub alert ***
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max has different groups of hotkeys that work under different conditions, for example you can make a seperate set of hotkeys for UVW mode from editable poly mode. Advantage being that you can share hotkeys to perform different functions.
    Problem is it confuses beginners.

Just hit the keyboard shortcut override toggle if you want one set of hotkeys, or go into the "editable poly" GROUP, not "category" and put your editable poly hotkeys in there.