Home Technical Talk

Virtools?

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
anyone had any experience with virtools? it looks like with a bit of technical thinking an artist might just be able to make a game prototype.. but who knows. ive emailed em asking for a trial..

definately my dream to make a game without learning programming.. this seems to have some node based stuff going on, which might be managable. if its like maxs particle editor, or hypershade.. that might be ok

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    our university stopped with it because they increased the lincense fees dramaticly - so now people here are testing unity , vvvv and quest 3d to see if it can replace virtools.

Personally I always hated the virtools interface (v. 3-4) everything was hidden and kind of difficutlt to get into to at first just like the messed GUI of zBrush: its nice once you know but its a mess to start learning with.
    Another things that I did not liked about virtools was the smal documentation it had- and the tiny userbase (only 1 active forum at all). The new version is supposed to be compatible with xbox 360 if you pay again a extra fee.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    I messed with it for about 10 minutes. The most you would be able to do with it is a VERY simple prototype. I have found that these kinds of things dont really work very well for making something from the ground up. I would suggest learning a bit of scripting using a free engine such as the Luxinia engine (www.luxinia.de), you can even find the one of the creators of that engine on polycount :P I personally have quite a bit of experience with it and its pretty nice.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    You can do a fair bit with Virtools. We've done a few webgames in the past with it at work, and for prototyping some gameplay ideas it could be what you're looking for. Even I was able to get a characters racing around a track and I have no programming skill. We did a nice miniputt game at work with it a while ago..

http://www.candystand.com/ca/play.do?id=18088
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Contact SamaVan through PM, he has extensive experience with the package.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cheers all, rube that sounds pretty encouraging- im not looking for anything finished product level. pior: will do!