Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Binxx

Binxx
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Binxx polycounter lvl 9
Started working on a game with some friends, and started to learn some 3d max since the program the guys are using supports it. Hopefully it looks OK :)

Also I strongly encourage anyone who looks at my work to crit it in anyway possible. Thanks!

Concept image (quick drawing)

test3.jpg

First attempt 3d max, used Nils Kosters Typology, since It seemed like he got the most out of his polygons

texturechecker.jpg

again first attempt while rigging, however had some difficulty with hand rotation seemed kinda warped.
rig.jpg

More refined look for my character, i came up with this concept through 5 other sketches, not sure if it's the best looking one but partners seem to think so, might be a bit too monochromatic though

characterprogresscopy.jpg

Working also on the background they wanted to make a forest prop, so i gave em one however its still somewhat incomplete

bkgprog.jpg

Thanks for looking at my work and I'll update soon!

Replies

• zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man!
    I like your 2d stuff. Please post some more.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Fire boss which i shouldn't really be working on since the hero isn't complete yet, just couldn't help myself
    FireBosscopy.jpg

Older concept art going to integrate it into the game possibly
    hand2backupcopy.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, keep it up. I especially like the mock-up stuff, that is fun to look at.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Progress!!, i could put textures untop of it, not sure yet though... having problems with UV texture though =( updates soon.
    char.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    damn man there's a huge jump in quality between the first and second of your posts. way to psych me out. good job
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    really cool concept stuff, I love the mood and palette you're using, don't see many games in this range.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Characterprogressioncopy.jpg

Progression had some trouble and needed to twink it a few times, OK! so onto character 2!!! Also i think i should break out of the template i made, for doing things that fit the template polygon, I think it would look a lot better just my lack of experience tells me to try keeping it simple first, then when I do get better I'll be able to do greater things. BTW thank you guys for the Nice comments if, if you see anything you think is incorrect plz plz plz point it out :) Thanks!
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    I got some silhouettes i've done last semester which i think i could use for my second character

QUEENKING.jpg

QUEENKINGDETAIL.jpg
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    progress, weird thing is photo bucket is being wonky on me

landscape1.jpg

nagunicopy.jpg

have newer stuff... just photo bucket isn't uploading :poly127:
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    hey binxx, I meant to reply when I first saw your sketchbook pop up. got busy, though. shit is looking really cool. the cool foreground and warm background in that wide painting is delicious, and your designs are sweet. : ) keep uploading the 3d shit too! you'll get better at it in no time!
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    Having fun with Uv's started doing Max a bit more =D hopefully they don't look too disappointing heheh its my first attempt ><

progress4.jpg

Concept monster
    grobblegorewingcopy.jpg

Quick Sketch
    snowwhitebackgroundcopy.jpg
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    put some color i should lighten it up a bit though possibly

Ps any crits welcome =D

facechanges.jpg
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    looking cool, Binxx. Your painting skills are clearly pretty solid, but it's hard to read with the default lighting, and the really simple geometry. UVmapping isn't too difficult these days with UV Relax, so don't be afraid to add some simple facial features to your head. Also, if you're just painting a diffuse at the moment, a good way of just seeing your texture's progress on the model without the lighting is to open your rendering tab, click on environment, and click on the Ambient swatch. Slide it to white, and you're scene will be shown fullbright in the viewport, which helps make everything more readable in earlier phases.

Really looking forward to what other stuff you have to show!

Edit: By default lighting I mean Max's default lighting. All it does is cast a single light from the camera, so the rims on objects will go super dark.
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    barb2.jpg

3dmodelpreview.jpg

adv.jpg

demimage2.jpg

Some stuff I have worked on recently. I was wondering however, is my edge flow alright? i know I'm suppose to make it squares but I've seen people using triangles... and triangles makes it so much easier.
    In addition to this i was wondering if there was anything in brush that could turn my stuff into a bump map or something like that which would make it look high poly even though it was low poly?

Anyways will put lot more stuff this summer
  • Binxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Binxx polycounter lvl 9
    wips.jpg

I've been testing out how to make the uv maps more 3 dimentional but its tough but painting over the seams tends to help

Bunny= 582 poly
    Ogre = 460 poly