Home Technical Talk

UV workflow--->Seperate mesh items?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
stop619 polycounter lvl 8
Hello all!

I have a work flow question regarding laying out UVs. On the image below I have identified two areas on the model that will receive different treatments, Area A and Area B.

I have separated the bands from the the main structure, resulting in three distinct objects. I figured it would be easier for me to layout and keep track off, which it has, but I'm wondering if this is...'bad' (for lack of a better word) workflow?

uvseperateon1.jpg
w919.png

How would you lay out UVs for this object.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

Replies

• LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    That method has always worked for me, it gets harder to keep stuff organized though on more complex meshes.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any way a and b will have different material IDs,there is no special work flow here,its just the bands(the extrudes from the main structure will have separate flatten mapping,hope it caries a tillable texture. Then the main structure should carry a different texture with a plannar mappinf to its sides.
    Hope i said what you expect.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    splitting it up into multiple objects, or multiple materials results in more draw calls, but that's about it. All depends on your budgets/engine. So long as it's supported and you're not lagging, it should be fine.