Home Technical Talk

Normal Mapping Alignment

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I had started to get into the high poly prep I would have covered the corners, you're totally right the diagonal corner is something to avoid. Since it came up, here is a easy way to get a box corner with splines. You still get all the advantages of working with a spline, very simple UVs without having to unwrap anything, a spline that can be used again and again to make other details without having to eyeball anything, bla bla bla bla...

Box corners with Splines:
    - Detach the top segment so its now its own editable spline, sweep the sides and align the pivot to the lower right corner.
    - Then go to the top spline, turn on 3D snaps set it to vert, and insert/draw a new edge that snaps to the newly created outer corner of the side box. Apply sweep and set the align pivot to lower left corner, so it sits on top of the side boxes.
    - Edit poly, delete two faces, weld with a low threshold
    DONE. No messy extruding, clean UV's and it only took seconds.

It's important to also note that your master spline now sits at the back of your door frame, if you want this to be in the center or front you can adjust the align pivots in the sweep modifiers. For each, you will want an opposing side:
    Top left : top right = Back
    Middle left : middle right = Center
    Lower left : lower right = Front
    You'll want to be either back or front for the snapping portion but you can change it after the fact to be whatever you prefer.

As for the dimensions, you can create a box that is the right size of your door, and use that as a guide. You can either select the outer edges and "create shape" to get your spline or turn on 3D snaps(vert) when drawing your spline.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    As for the dimensions, you can create a box that is the right size of your door, and use that as a guide. You can either select the outer edges and "create shape" to get your spline or turn on 3D snaps(vert) when drawing your spline.

Thanks! :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it alright if instead of adding the sweep to the spline, I converted it to an editable poly?

Also, I'm confused on how you made the window. You said not to cut into the box but instead to create a window floating above the door? Are you saying that the windows won't be transparent?

EDIT: Oh I understand why there was a sweep. I just changed the angle of the spline to 45 degrees and made it thicker. I this did what the sweep would have done.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggested not cutting it out, because it creates triangles and that leads to more clean up. If you're ready for the clean up and actually need the hole you should do it. But you need to evaluate if you actually need the whole. Think about what the player/viewer will see, does it actually need to be transparent? Is it going to be cut out of the low poly or is it going to be a transparency mask on a flat plane? I was leaning more toward the window being blacked out in some kind of way, be it blinds, grime, or frosted, but on a plane.

There are probably other cleaner ways to create the hole besides using ProBooleans like using the slice plane or connect to insert loops, remove the poly and fill in the gap using either create under poly mode, or drag/extrude edges and weld.

You can also fake the indent of the window by doing what EQ suggests here and create a floating indent that hovers over the door. I would suggest doing this only when creating high poly models for normal maps, regular high poly work its probably best to cut the hole.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok... here is what I have come up with.
    In the end I want the window to be cracked with moss growing on the sides and the glass should be fogged out and nothing should be visible behind it. Sort of like the right side door window on with a touch of moss and a lot less transparent. :)
    0000004326.jpg

When you were talking about whether to have the window be indented or not, you were referring to the low poly model right? I don't know why you wouldn't do it in the highpoly considering the window would be indented in real life. If you were talking about the lowpoly, the answer is no, I'm going to take your advice and not make an indent.

I'm going to start on the highpoly because I with I have a pretty good idea of what to do... hopefully.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't finished, I'm still going to add a couple small details, but I'm just going to post a picture of what I got done tonight. Hopefully there is nothing bad enough I need to redo it... again... :)
    Capturehhh.png
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    hey, keep going, keep fuckin up, but in the long run you learn a shit load. thats how you gotta a do it -as long as your pointin yourself in the right direction. Soon, hi poly will be your secret lover. . . lolz
    as a snowboarding race instructor, we used to say: "if you stop fallin down, you stop learning"
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok.

Snowboard instructor from southern cali... just kidding :)... but really southern cali? I go to a school that bases their schedule around skiing and snowboarding... :P
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talbot wrote: »
    Ok.

Snowboard instructor from southern cali... just kidding :)... but really southern cali? I go to a school that bases their schedule around skiing and snowboarding... :P

used to live in mt. shasta, you should know where thats at.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    isn't mt. shasta northern cali?

Does anyone have a quick zbrush tips? I know the basics but not much more than that. :)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops, sorry man, when i read your location i only saw Portland. there is a Portland, Oregon as well. .. . didn't really think u were a know it all.

anyways, keep at it!!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The past couple of days I've been learning the basics of zbrush from a friend. Now keep in mind I currently don't have a wacom tablet some I didn't even try to make scratches (I've tried before and I wasn't able to make them look good). But I did add a couple dents and some texture to the edges of the window to show the moss.

asdffdsafasfd.png

Please let me know what you think. :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I know that this shouldn't still be a problem... but it is.

For the past couple days I have run into numerous normal mapping problems. None of them have been alignment. Instead of describe it I'm just going to show a couple images that explain the problem.

Render:
    sadfff.png

Normal Map:
    sadfsadffasfd.png

Render To Texture Settings:
    sdfasdfasfasf.png

Let me know if there are any other settings that I should take a screen of.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like its your UV layout that's hosed, but I can't say for sure. If you want to, go ahead and archive the file (File > Archive...) and send me the zip. I'll probably be able to sort it out pretty quick. Go ahead and send it to vig at vigville dot com.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Looks like its your UV layout that's hosed, but I can't say for sure. If you want to, go ahead and archive the file (File > Archive...) and send me the zip. I'll probably be able to sort it out pretty quick. Go ahead and send it to vig at vigville dot com.

Thank you!

I just sent it after spending some time trying to fix it. I wasn't able to make it too much better.