Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The monkey and the ball

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
pestibug polycounter lvl 18
Long time no see all, time to pimp some stuff!

So, this is for my buddy hourences who's working on a mod for the 'win something unreal contest', called: The ball

Blurb from the site:

The Ball is a first person singleplayer puzzle mod with an Aztec theme to it. The mod takes place in a mysterious Aztec temple, at the top of a volcano. The player has to use the Impact Gun to move a large steel ball around and utilize that ball to solve puzzles and get around obstacles. Impact Gun aside, the mod uses all new custom art to establish a unique, stylish, and atmospheric experience. The Ball is the winner of the MakeSomethingUnreal contest Phase 1, having won both Best Gametype and Best Use of Physics.

He asked me to make a giant gorilla with zombie-ish/mummy-ish damage and stuff, so here we go, still very much wip:

Ignore the stuff on the chest/belly, that was just trying out a little. The overal damage will be more in line with the arm.

gorillawip017mx8.jpg

Right now focussing on the arm:

gorillawip016ep8.jpg

In the end he should have fur and all that jazz, right now, sculpting, tweaking shapes a bit and adding damage/wounds. Still ways to go!

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey pestibug. Yeah, I haven't seen you around since last years DW when I joined PC.

I like the progress so far, and I would imagine it must be such a challenge to get realistic muscle anatomy going for a gorrilla, let alone find the references.

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is fine work pestibug, love the detailing on the face.

The Bodyworlds exhibition included a gorilla,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content/image_galleries/220208_bodyworlds_gallery.shtml?5

you might be able to find more reference images if you need any.

Looking forward to updates.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bradMyers82! Indeed, good ol' dominance war, maybe I'll finish it this time ;)
    As far as the muscles/anatomy goes, well I did a whole bunch of searching but there's not much to be found on gorilla anatomy. Luckily that which is there shows it's not too different from human anatomy. So, in this case, as long as it looks plausible, I'll settle for it.

Eventually most of his body will be covered in fur (aside from the wounds ofc), so that will hopefully give him the mass he needs in the end.

Pixelmitherer: Thanks for looking this up for me, I already found this one, but not in this quality, so thanks a ton for this one! :D And thank you for the compliment of the face, I'm very happy with how it turned out so far.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    looks good so far, pesti, but drawing those fibers in must be a pain in the arse
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    We are going to use the topic to dump in random pictures of stuff we are working on. Here are some of the other things we have been working on for the next release:
    theballteotl1.jpg
    theballteotl2.jpg
    theballteotl3.jpg
    theballteotl4.jpg
    theballteotl5.jpg
    theballteotl6.jpg
    theballteotl7.jpg
    theballteotl8.jpg

Mummy by MrE, I am sure he will post here later himself.
    Golden city by me.
    Indoor sections by Sklare using my tex/modular meshes.

We are looking for an animator btw, and a programmer. If anyone feels like helping out... - More info: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=59595
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work guys. I played the last release and loved it.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    study anatomy much?
    fantastic stuff.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner: well, sort off, kinda winging it here tho' .

And a lil' update, chugging along!

gorillawip018dq0.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the leg, sadly my pc can't handle another subdivision :( So, I'll have to tidy up some muscle stuff and such later in photoshop. Oh well, moving on :D

gorillawip019tg5.jpg
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Nice stuff. I'm looking forward to see the golden city :)
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Per. He'll be a levelboss, can't say much yet about the encounter, but it'll be a pretty huge character (hopefully with a nice lil' cutscene), and you'll be in close proximity to him. Wether you get enough time to just look at him I doubt ;)
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, update time, decided to make him look older and a bit more mummy-ish. Still looking for the right balance on the skin and such, but shaping up nicely I think.

gorillawip021se1.jpg
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I like the detailing on the arm. What is your workflow/brushes used there? Is this Zbrush or mudbox? (Not familiar with mudbox tool names)
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Junkie_XL thanks :)

I use mudbox, and only a few tools: soft brush, flatten, smooth and sometimes bulge. I only alter the size and strength (I tend to work with a low strength mostly tho, very sketchy sculpting style), no different brush tips, no stamps or stencils, just really basic tools.

As for the workflow, well to be honest I didn't exactly know where I wanted to go with the model, just a rough idea, so the work flow is a bit messy.

First I always like to make my base models in max, I've noticed these become less ans less detailed. I find I actually can't wait to take something into mudbox, so much more intuitive to work in!

Alright next, sculpt in all the muscle mass and big shapes, loads of refrence used, humand and gorilla anatomy as far as I could find them. I did know I wanted to have loads of fur planes on this guy, so I didn't bother too much with going to much into detail since most stuff woud be covered anyway.

For the muscles I start with bulge and block in quickly the big masses, the with soft brush I go in between the muscles and make the definitions between them, using flatten to harden edges and bring things gently into shape, then it's usually a bit of smooth to tighten things up.

Next wounds, I didn't want something completely rotten, and since most of it would be covered in fur I decided to just have these open wounds that show the spreading of decay.

Mostly I use a softbrush and dig into the mesh, knocking out the basic shape and depth of the wound (sometimes the move tool if it's a really deep gash), add the edges around it. Then for the muscles, it's easy, very small softbrush and just drag lines (subtract), the more jittery they are, the better! Very simple, very quick.
    A bit of flatten here and there along the edges for definition, a bit of smooth, voila.

For the fleshy/tendon bits that go over the muscles, I use the flattenbrush where I want tendons and such to go. make the mesh nice and even, with softbrush sculpt tendons on top, define the edges with flatten and smooth a little if needed.

As for the body, well to be honest it is a bit of a fuck up, I wanted to add a bit more, 'mummy' ancient look to it, but not too much. Only, the 1st idea was to have most of the gorilla to be covered with fur, now more flesh is showing, and now the problem arises that I didn't spend enough time in the basic sculpting face.
    I have the big mass, I have the detail, but I miss the middle stuff stuff sort of. (thanx per for pointing that out to me! :) )

So, all in all I'm happy with how this model is progressing, but it's been a learning experience for sure, and at this poitn certainly taught me to think more before I start.

Anyway probably way too much info, hope I told what you wanted to know :)
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for a small update, just to show there's still being worked on this guy. Not much happening to him right now since I'm doing a painting for my mom (who's turning 60 :) ) So, the gorilla is on a semi pause, and I doodle a lil' bit here and there on him.

gorillawip022ri3.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    this really looks great! i love the 'subtleness' of the anatomy, seems to me you really know what your doing there. great stuff!
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Hey there Pesti, Love it, the anatomy is great, but how you have the patience to make all those wrinkles so perfect I do not know, great to see your work though, that you are still at it and enjoying it :).

Cheers

tim
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thansk Japhir, I'm pleased with how he's progressing, but I have to admit it's kinda floating around with little idea of what the endresult will be like.

TPE, holy schmozes!!! Now that's ages ago, welcome back man, great to see you here again :D

As for the wrinkles. They're actually not all that much work, I'm just taking my time (plus some stuff inbetween). Glad you like him man :)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Love the emanciated mummy.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update time, almost done with sculpting. Did a bunch of tweaking to the sculpt, small stuff mostly. Anyway, monkey time!

gorillawip023sg2.jpg

Hey kevin, thanks, I'm sure mrE who made him is glad to hear that :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Looking nicely pesti. Glad I could hop on this project with you guys. Expect some works from me in the near futures...
  • tores
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tores polycounter lvl 17
    Thought I might show the weapon I'm working on for the ball. I'm trying to keep up with the other artist on the ball, hope you like it. ^^

1stperson_Weapon.jpg

1stperson_Weapon_side.jpg
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its great :)

The head is like a hammer by the way, it goes back and forth rapidly, hammering on whatever there is in front of the player (usually the ball).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty cool, are those going to be jewels in the eyes or metal studs?

Pesti, the detailing on the ape is great, nice work! If I understand the purpose of this character correctly, its a big boss? If that is the case I think his underlying proportions could be less Sam the butcher and more silver back Gorilla. You might want to be careful on where you gather ref from, zoo gorillas tend to be pretty fat, old and pampered. Wild gorillas are probably a better source for powerful iconic gorilla ref?

It might help to push out the brow line, sink in the eyes, shrink the mouth, and angry up the face. I think his arms, and forearms especailly could be much more powerful and threatening.

Have you thought about removing sections of muscle and showing some of the deep tissue or maybe organs? Depending on the story surounding this character could you patchwork in pieces of things organic or inorganic?

Awesome work guys, its coming along nicely!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ey vig, cool you dig the stuff :) The eyes of the skull will be gems, and the gorilla is a boss indeed.

The gorilla, yeah in the end I'll make him look a bit angrier, pull his eyebrows and stuff, and I forget to pull back his forehead all the time. It's hard to say where the ref came from, mix of zoo gorilla's and wild ones I assume.

The idea I had (and things have been floating a bit and freestyled) that he'll be covered by a fair amount of fur, especially the arms will be beefed up with fur. Hopefully giving him those massive lowerarms. ( I will have a look at the belly tho', that's prolly what's throwing it off a bit, the butt stays! I love his butt ;) )

I specifically didn't want to do too deep damage, I want to go for a zombie-ish look, but not completely zombie. While not completely certain on what the result would be, i'm pretty pleased the way it is now, could be zombie in early stage of decay, or it could be that's he's sick and some virus is spreading or some sort.

All in all, it's a great learning exercise, the sculpt is pretty much how it'll stay, time to finish him up, and get rolling with the lowres and textures. Then, the other cool stuff!

Ow, he's still gettign his teeth btw, so he'll look less like toothless grandpa ( well, i assume hehehe)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will have a look at the belly tho', that's prolly what's throwing it off a bit, the butt stays! I love his butt ;) )
    I agree, its a nice piece of ape ass. The back is great. I think you're right its the big hanging sack of meat thats throwing it off. I bet if that was reduced even a small amount his upper body and arms would show more strength without having to touch em.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, update time, baked all the maps, and now time to texture. So far texturing for normalmaps has been my weakest part. So it's always a challenge. So far, so good, happy with how it's going.

These shots are made in xnormal, all have light cast straight on from the camera, except the one in the right bottom corner.

Still loads of work on this to be done. Crits welcome, but might be better in a next update as things will be a bit more solid.. Still crits most welcome if they can help in this stage/next stage)

gorillawip026sg2.jpg

cheers!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, nice muscles! Don't forget the fat layer and veins, the exposed areas look a bit simplified at the moment (texture wise, although I realise it's still wip)

Some inspiration, a dissected cat, possibly not for the sqeemish
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff Pesti, i really love the details!

Got a bit of a weird question; How did you manage to get such a clear and bright view of your model in mudbox (assuming your useing 2009)?

I'd love to see you'r modelling light setup.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jaco, that link goes well with the dissected dog link I have :) Yeah it's still very early days on the skin. But fat is a good idea, didn't think of that yet. Nice!

Ride: Sorry to let you down, but this is in xNormal, no mud2009 here. Just the oldschool way of photoshop and xNormal/max.
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the first two pictures in the thread, is that xnormal aswell? :poly121:
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The other pics are from mudbox, the old mudbox, still no special light setup. Only thing I did was turn of the gradient background. :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    loving the flesh skin! :D
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, monkey is 98% done texture wise! hurrah! Only gotta fix the normals on his upper teeth, next up, the fur.

gorillawip030yw2.jpg
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Oh nice! This monkey-boy is ready to go. I think the fur will take it even further. Good job!
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We got ourselves a website now, and gave our team a name: Toltec Studios

http://theball.toltecstudios.com/

And we released three new pics, the monkey seen here already, and the weapon (by Tores) and a large elevator (by me).

theballteotl10.jpg
    theballteotl11.jpg
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna be any explanation as to how a gorilla crossed the Atlantic ocean? ;)

Great model man, love the other stuff your cohorts are posting too.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beamed up by a UFO:)
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since our last post in this thread The Ball has won 1st place Best Use of Physics and 3rd Place Best Mod. in the MakesomethingUnreal contest Phase 2. We now hold three first places in that competition. Furthermore we have won the ModDB MOTY Best Singleplay Mod of 2008!

And we got some new screenshots!

theballteotl12.jpg
    theballteotl13.jpg
    theballteotl14.jpg
    theballteotl15.jpg
    theballteotl16.jpg
    gorilla1.jpg
    gorilla2.jpg

Gorilla by Pestibug and animation by Whackzero. The indoor level shot by Setheran, and the remaining screenshots are a combined effort from Hourences, Setheran, and Sklare.

The Ball is set to be released on May 7, 2009! We now have 5 large singleplay levels offering at least 4 hours of gameplay to new players!

We are still looking for a voice actor:
    -Will be telling our story - our story is less than half a page worth of text so it is not a lot of work.
    -A standard male voice with a neutral accent - think Hollywood voice over style
    -You need to have a decent microphone and a recording environment with no background noise

Contact me@Hourences.com if you are interested.

http://theball.toltecstudios.com/
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome guys! I cannot wait to play it! :D
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job on the gorilla! I like how it turned out with the fur!
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It took our team 7 months, but we have released the third installment of The Ball!

# At least twice as big as the previous release
    # We have redone large parts of the first three levels.
    # More than 4 hours of singleplay gameplay
    # 100 Percent all new art and content
    # Over 16 secret to discover and one very hard to find shortcut.
    # Solve puzzles and fight monsters in a mysterious world deep inside a volcano!
    # Previous installments have won a tripple first prize in the Make Something Unreal contest and was awarded "Best Singleplay Mod of 2008" by ModDB.

Here are the final screenshots of how the gorilla from pesti turned out:
    gorillafight2.jpg
    gorillafight1.jpg
    gorillafight3.jpg
    gorillafight4.jpg

Trailer available here - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWFUYRhjb3Q[/ame]

Creative Director - Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong
    Programming - James "SolidSnake" Tan - Russ "Vaninadisc" McMackin - Markus Arvidsson
    Level Design - Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong - Thomas "Setheran" Browett - Kevin "Sklare" Cytatzky
    Additional Level Design - Anton "Rendermonkey" Botvalde - Russ "Vaninadisc" McMackin - Dan "Daze" Banefelt
    Level Scripting - Anton "Rendermonkey" Botvalde - Thomas "Setheran" Browett
    Environment Art - Sjoerd "Hourences" De Jong
    Character Art - Bart "Pestibug" Wiltenburg - Elusive - Markus "Tores" Palviainen
    Additional Character Art - Manti
    Animation - Hongman "Whackzero" Leung
    Additional Animation - Markus "Tores" Palviainen - Charles "EvilEngine" Jones
    Original Music and Audio - Theodore Wohng
    Additional Music and Audio - Epic Games
    Voice Acting, Video, Additional Sound Design - Henrik "Bersy" Ryosa
    Additional Help - Hal:Forums - Hazel;Textures - Mr.Prophet:Story - Utz:Animations - SBR:Palm Trees - Polycron:Loading Screen - Winegums:Website - DGUnreal:Programming - Zynthetic:Intro Voice Acting - Psychotropic Circle:Music Samples - Cgtextures.com:Textures - And the unknown makers of our fonts
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats on getting this update out the door. I just played through it and I must say the puzzles this time around were great, really had me working to figure them out. The endless maze of rooms was my favorite. All the new art content looked pretty sweet in game, and fighting with the ball was tons o fun. I cant wait to see what you cook up for the next release.:thumbup:
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I played this at GDC, and I broke the game when I got the ball stuck somewhere in the level and count move it out :[

The game is fantastic though. Very gorgeous.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    This mod looks awesome. For some odd reason the style of the whole environment reminds me a chessboard.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Whackzero is a familiar name. looks cool dudes.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice trailer, it has some cool elements that make it funny

Somehow the color style doesnt work for me :S
    bleached green and red, almost pink,

the font in the screenshots is a bit.. i dont think it fits in that well.

really looks like some great work though!
    def should try this out sometime soon :D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks great guys congrats on finishing it. I still haven't had time to play it yet, but definetly will.
    Pestibug: That gorilla turned out great!
  • AJR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AJR
    This looks awesome. I'd like to work on your Mod. Anyway I could help out?
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a website or anything? What do you do? We have quite a few people already and are not really in need for anyone right now, but perhaps there is a way you can help.