Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirates and Booty in 3D...

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DockRock polycounter lvl 8
Hey everybody, I am starting my New Year's resolutions early this year and one of those is to become more active with my artwork in the online community! Here is a small sample of some of the 3D low-poly projects I have been working on over the past few months. I am omitting the work I feel is lower quality just to avoid embarrassment. Comments and Critiques are more than welcome...

MODGirl_Small.jpg
CaptainClaw_Small.jpg
Treasure_Chest_by_CaseyD2K.jpg

All images were modeled in 3D Studio Max and textured in Adobe Photoshop.

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Well sir... your characters... HAVE CHARACTER :P

This is some really cool work buddy, I think the only crit really I have (where are the wires?) is you need to rethink your UV space just a bit. For example, that gold lock on the chest has about 2/3's the space that the chest itself has, and there is no need for that.

Also (just some nit-picking here) but the pirates hook has some crazy detail (Is that a normal map? or did you bake in an AO from a high poly version?) it just looks out of place with the overall style of the character. I say broaden the design on the hook a bit so its not AS detailed, and it should fit in much better.

Also, for the alpha feather, just give it a bit more bleeding room so it blends better (get the average of the blues) because right now it has a blackish outline.

All in all, very fun and well executed characters man, looking forward to seeing more from you, AND WELCOME!

EDIT: Oh and I just checked out your portfolio link, and man, you have some GREAT character designs, very inspirational man.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That's a really cool style you have there.
    I'm interested to see the stats on your stuff, wires, polycount, texture sizes.
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm still relatively new to the Low-Poly workflow, so things like UV space planning and Style are definitely things I will take into much more consideration in the future. The Pirate's hook does seem a little out of place. A little cluttered versus his overall clean styling. I'll see what I can do with that. And good call on the feather I will fix that as well!

Checked out your gallery too and crap you got some nice work! Just looking at your gallery makes me want to put together a project tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to critique my work, I will definitely take what you said and make use of it! And I'm glad you liked my 2D work. I do 2D illustration and animation predominantly as my job now and I am just trying to round out my skills a bit with some 3D.
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauricio Cunha polycounter lvl 13
    Is possible post wires ?
    I'm curious about the face of the pirate
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A compilation of the wires as requested. Close up of the face and 3/4 turn around. The model has been very slightly modified since these shots were taken. The most noticeable difference being the reduction of edges in the thighs. Upon closer inspection of the wires I see a lot of areas where I could drastically reduce the geometry and see very little distortion or even drastic changes in the overall surface:
    Wires_Comp.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmm very nice man, I'd say connect that beard to his face though, as it is "good practice".
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmm very nice man, I'd say connect that beard to his face though, as it is "good practice".

I was wondering about that...I take it most professional models all the pieces are connected in some way. I know for Zbrush and Normal Mapping everything has to be connected right?

I'll see what I can do about that beard!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a fair amount of reasons to connect geo together (a buddy of mine has been drilling this into my head for a couple years now). Lighting is probably one of the bigger reasons, as well as if you're object is animated (which yours would be if it was in-game) a lot of intersecting geometry may cause issues. I'm sure there are ton more reasons for and against this, but those are usually the main ones I think of when making models, deciding if there should or not not be floating geo.

Ha ha still love that character man, it looks like it would belong in a ratchet and clank inspired universe or something, love it.
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Ha ha still love that character man, it looks like it would belong in a ratchet and clank inspired universe or something, love it.

All that stuff about connecting geometry makes sense. It was a toss up whether or not I was going to connect the geometry or not. I'm afraid simplicity (aka laziness) won out in the end. Since these are more for personal use than for any in-game projects I figured I could squeak by. In the future I will make the effort to connect all parts when applicable.

As for the Ratchet and Clank comment, thanks! I love the style of those games and I use a lot of the concept art from games like that as reference when I am coming up with characters and ideas.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Probably the most in depth critique i've ever had on any of my 3D models.
  • Mauricio Cunha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mauricio Cunha polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for post the wires.
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for post the wires.

No Prob!
  • theDEAD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! Your character sketches are great, too! :)
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theDEAD wrote: »
    Nice work! Your character sketches are great, too! :)

Thank you very much!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    MOD Girl is rad.
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MOD Girl is rad.

Thanks! I saw your stuff before in a link on Ben Mathis' website a while ago, you're work totally rocks!!