Home Technical Talk

Constraining bones to verts

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
Hi
Do any of you know how to constrain a bone to a vert in an editable poly object in Max?
I don't even know what to look for or what it would be called in the help file.
Thanks!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You apply the skin modifier, then add the bones. I think the help file has a good tutorial in the character section, but would be hard to find if you didn't know the name of the modifier, which is "skin". =)

If you're using BiPed you can also use Physique, which is like skin but with 50% more awesome, and 5% more crash...
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nonono I want it to work the other way around haha. See I want to run a simulation on an object and have the bones follow some of the verts on this object.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    add a link constraint to the bone? set it to object attach? Not really sure what you're going for but this sounds something like it.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are are couple constraint types you can use to constrain an object to a surface. Just look in the help file (under Constraints). If none of those fit the bill, you can use a script controller, but make sure there aren't other options first.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks a lot Rob.
    The type of constraint I was looking for was an "Attachment Constraint" which is even more awesome than what I wanted to begin with. You can have it follow along the surface of a face instead of just a vert using this constraint.

Thanks man!