Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Laputan Machine" - 2d wip

This idea has been bouncing around in my head for a few weeks now. Last night I made a couple of sketches, and this particular one turned out to be OK, so I decided to put a little more effort into it.

You get +10 points and a merit badge if you recognize the character I'm trying to portray (hint in the title) :)

Haven't kicked the training wheels off yet, so you people can get a clearer picture. The proportions came out a little cartoony, if you ask me, I'm referring to the huge shovel-like hands and the exaggerated jaw of course.

Hopefully there's been an improvement over my previous post, but it may be a bit early to tell. I'll let you be the judge of that.

laputanmachinewy0.jpg

Replies

• ZzzapZzzap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along..

I know it's still nowehere near finished, but the character should be pretty recognisable by now. (notice I've ditched the training wheels)

Currently, he picture's a bit monotonous and flat, but I've kept in mind the advice I've gotten here, and tried to nail down the basic lighting and skin tones before getting around to doing small-ish details, such as the nose and the eyes. I've found that setting the brush to 'overlay' really helps to bring out the varying tones of the skin, maybe I should do a couple of more passes and see how it turns out, but at the same time be careful not to oversaturate any area.

Well, I guess I just have to keep on grinding..

laputanmachine2ko1.jpg
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i was expecting somethign more liek this laputa-robot-ghibli-museum.jpg when i read the thread title :D
  • ZzzapZzzap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby wrote:
    i was expecting somethign more liek this when i read the thread title :D

Looks like the Iron Giant to me :p, granted, the thread title isn't very descriptive.

Today has been a productive day, so here's a quick update.

Here's a small list of things worthy of mentioning:

-Put a little blue here and there to break up the general brown hue.

-There were a couple of things wrong with the left side of his face: his
    eye was a little off, and his cheekbones weren't visible at all,
    resulting in a chubby look, which I definitely wanted to get rid of.

-Cleaned up the brush work a little, tiny housekeeping routines like
    this make a noticeable difference.

I should add some more detail, tiny wrinkles etc. when I get back to it.

laputanmachine3rl9.jpg
  • Wokky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wokky polycounter lvl 17
    I wanted ORANGE!!!!