Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*Nudity* 2 New Models

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks. here are a few new models i threw together. the second is a quick doodle that i did using Arshlevon's base mesh (thanks Arsh). i dont know that i have any plans with it, but maybe.

the first is a model i'd like to bring to full completion.. low poly, texture, etc. Its a bit of an abstraction of the "sexy girls in armor that doesn't make any sense" style. i wanted it to be sexually explicit. i referenced frazzeta's work.

honestly, it's not nearly as sexual as i'd like. bummer. i think the face is a big problem...

oh and i almost forgot. critique the fuck out of them if you like.

femalemodel.jpg

ninjafellow.jpg

Replies

• salman_fas
    I am not a character artist but from this angle it seems that the male character has really wide hips.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    it does... thanks!
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    starting some texturing.. the is a first pass.. the texture is just ripped directly from reference images in zbrush. it needs some cleaning up still.. this is a render in xsi..

i'm just about to unwrap the low poly and do the whole normal map thang.. it looks like XSI can't render normal maps for shit, so i might switch over to direct x shaders in max.

femaletext1.jpg
  • Lamont
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I like the fact that she's got a more Rubenesque physique and weight to her breasts. Keep going :)
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    why is her vag huge
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    The body looks great, but I think the face needs some more work. A side shot would help, but it looks like the shape of her jaw is off, looks like she has jowls atm. The face also looks a bit boxy, I think the cranium needs to be bigger, like so. The neck is also a bit buff and overdefined, specifically the sternocleidomastoideus. Texture wise, it looks like she's got bruised eyes, beware of shadows when photo-sourcing textures.

Overall it's a great piece, I just feel like the face isn't at the same level.

And where's the ass shots!?
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic. thanks for the crits Jaco. I'll address this stuff. yes, the face bothers me too. it's not quite doing it for me. thanks for that pic. haha the ass shots are coming.

Lamont - thanks man. I'm a dirty perv when it comes to curvy women :) frazetta was a big influence here.. okay, i'll be honest.. i just tried to rip him off.

Harry - i want to have a very exaggerated sexual vibe with this one.. a lot of guys make hot chicks in armor which never makes sense. i figure i'll just say "fuck it" and go to the extreme for fun. the huge vagina is supposed to be obscene. i want this to be REALLY.. REALLY sexual.. i dont think i hit the mark, but what evs.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    make sure to get a decently obscene pose !
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha don't worry.
  • Armonio
    Great, although the render with the female in the armor makes her hips look big, as if she were bearing a child or is over-weight, which many men will say is not "sexy". Also, add a cape. Cape's are sexy.

Keep it up!
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    as Jaco said, the body is looking good, but the head needs a lot of re-working. it's very boxy and looks quite flat and unnatural as a result. the internet is not lacking for good reference of attractive female faces ;)

also the armour design as shown in the first post feels very bland and boring. again boxy shapes with a small amount of surface detail - i think this character would be better served by some sleeker, overlapping plates rather than large thick separate one-piece plates of armour.

also, it's hard to tell from the angles you've posted, but it looks like she might be "falling forward" a bit in the side view? oh and her hands are huuuuge!

apart from that it's coming along nicely, keep it up
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys.

Armonio - yeah, i dig. this one is for me, really. i like sexy bellies and big hips. nothing like an anorexic woman to make me throw up. i think there's something profoundly primal about a woman who has child bearing hips. she care bare my children. i will drag her back to my cave... and knit her a cape.

MoP- thanks, great points. boxy head.. boxy head.. dammit, it does look boxy. i think a lot of it is my lighting... but i'll fix it. it will be fixed. hahaha yes i've found quite a number of great reference pics over the years.

armor design.. boring eh? dammit. i'll have to think about that. i'll do something to spruce it up. i want to exaggerate the whole snake thing -- i basically wanted to take this sexy girl and put a bunch of penises on her...

sleeker, overlapping plates huh. that's not a bad idea. i'm going to look into that a bit. do you have anything in mind?

HAH yes she is falling forward. i figure i'll ignore that until i pose her.

hands: huge -- check.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    by the way, can anyone recomend some good max viewport shaders?
  • palm
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    by the way, can anyone recomend some good max viewport shaders?

http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map#ModelingTheHighPolyMesh

scroll down a bit.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hey john, hope you don't mind the paintover, I was thinking something along these lines:

snakewoman_po.jpg

Basically I just fixed her head (still no hair tho), and tried messing around with some more interesting silhouettes and shapes with the armour.
    I figured the blocky outlines of the armour plates you have already are kinda fighting with the "sexy" look you're going for, and the snake motif is too good to pass up just as embossing on a plate, you should really design the armour around the whole snake thing, i think it could look pretty cool. maybe a bit like princess leia's jabba slave costume ;)
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    eh.. the positive responses on her body by other posters is really discouraging me... Am I really the only one who thinks the hips area looks totally weird?? Almost alien like... it sticks out way too much and looks completely disjointed (as in the thigh bones are not attached to the hip bone, they are slightly pushed up, back and outwards)... Armonio said its the armor that is causing it but I really don't think so... it looks awkward with or without armor.

Same applies to the guy, a little more subtle on him since hes fully clothed but still clearly too wide.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    While the hips are pretty extreme, I don't think they're outside the realm of plausibility ... and if he wants to push the model in that way, I think that's ok. Doesn't look unnatural to me.
    Junk in the trunk!
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    AWESOME!! thanks MoP! great ideas! you're right. hmm... i'll go back and model the armor in a more ornate fassion.. hmm..

you know, right now i have leather straps attaching the plates to her legs.. i'll do something more ornate, as like you have on her forearm there, i'll wrap each of the pieces around her legs. actaully having a modeled snake that wraped around her theights, and wound up towards her crotch might really push it closer in the direction that i wanted.

hah. total junk in the trunk. Yeah, Yozora, many thanks for the input, but if anything, i'd like to find a way of pushing it further without breaking it completely.. it still doesn't hold up to frazetta boy..

http://frankfrazetta.org/images/frank_frazetta_catgirl.jpg
    http://tonova.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/frank_frazetta_1.jpg
  • Rob Galanakis
    Can we get a side shot? I'm worried the sculpt pose has her back arched too much and will make it more difficult to pose later.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the look of this, but think the lighting in yon nude shot makes her look a bit uncanny all over.
  • Electro
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 19
    MoP wrote: »
    Junk in the trunk!

lol

Yeah looks promising, keep going!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i dig the proportions of the body myself, totally childbearing hip proportions, and Mops paintover fixes the issues with the head. could be cool to see some some of the snake theme on her body too
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    alright.. update.. and a side shot as per request.. yes, Rob, i think she might be arched a bit much. i tend to put huge curves into my models to keep myself interested with the bind pose i think hahaha. i should probably pull that back a bit next time.

thanks for all the feedback. i've yet to incorporate some of it. i'm in the process of playing with the head. i didn't personally like how thin MoP's head is.. i'd like to keep some bulk, but fix any issues. don't worry MoP, i'm going to get to that armor soon :)

this is the low poly, obviously.. arm and leg are mirrored on the uv.

female_texturing_1.jpg

female_side.jpg

OH. almost forgot. I'm using a wonderful shader that was posted here on polycount a while back, but i can't remember who the creator is. it's that BRDF shader that pepi and pior used on their F-Zero models. anyone remember who made it?

also -- it's not looking like this shader alows me to color the specular. does can anyone suggest a great viewport shader?
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    The face looks good now, it's not really conveying that 'sexually explcit' vibe yet though. I love the gesture of the side shot, altough there might be too much meat on the mid-back area. The texture looks good, it could use some color variation though.
    Also the right titty looks like it's floating in that first pic (?), if you've got the polys to spare I think that's a good place to spend them.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    higher poly titties. yes.
    color variation. yes.
    floating titties -- for sure.
    too much meat.. hmm.. perhaps. i'll get some more reference.

thanks a lot dude.
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Harry - i want to have a very exaggerated sexual vibe with this one.. a lot of guys make hot chicks in armor which never makes sense. i figure i'll just say "fuck it" and go to the extreme for fun. the huge vagina is supposed to be obscene. i want this to be REALLY.. REALLY sexual.. i dont think i hit the mark, but what evs.

but that's a genuinely fucking enormous pussy mate. You're crazy. You're a wild man.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    LETS GO HOOKIN!! WOOOOO!!!!
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i think it's safe to say that this hair isn't working, but what ever. it was a quick and dirty test. i like the idea of having curls, but it's not quite ruggedly sexual enough. i need something more.. hmm.. crazy... less fancy. this is more like prom hair.

also, i'm experimenting with making her look wet. i stumbled accross that when playing with the spec and i think it might have the type of thing i'm looking for. i'm open to input on that of course (or anything else, keep the critiques coming!)

i'm gonna go back and follow a hair tutorial...

female_texturing_2.jpg
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    jesus she looks like an alcoholic.. or a crackhead or something.

edit: jesus, the more i look at that the more hideous it becomes!!

edit2: hmm maybe something like this..

new-hairstyles.jpg
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    chickWIPpose.jpg

quick update. small changes, gave her a quick rig. i realize she's still a little stiff and dead. gotta add polies to her boobies still. i think i might scrap the armor idea.

this is coming along slooowwwllyy but surely.
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.lumonix.net/shaderfx.html Bottom of the page, enter e-mail and you can download it for free. GREAT viewport shader.

hah shit! I dig the pussy piercings :)
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    OOooo awesome thanks man. i'll look at it tonight.

BTW. this pose. it's way too masculine. way too masculine. also, her hands haven't been rigged yet. i'm probably goign to redo the whole fucker.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Her hands and feet look enormous to me. i think that's where part of the masculine look is coming from, not just the pose. Also her face is still not very feminine, and the shape of her head looks quite strange from this angle - too bottom-heavy, I think.
    Her hands don't seem to have any detail either? Really blobby and formless... are you using a normal-map? What resolution are your textures?
    I don't think the lighting is helping much either :(

Really I think this could be improved a lot without too much effort, some quick vertex massaging to get better proportions... throw away whatever light setup you have here and make a new one from scratch, get a better pose too, and it will look 100x better.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Bravo! You successfully made the most normal looking woman i have seen in 3d, and in doing so the most disturbing to see naked. She looks like women i see at the grocery store, only naked. Each render you post i feel a very great need to model clothes for...
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies guys.

MoP - yeah, i haven't touched the hands. I'll take some time and consider the size of the hands and feet.. but the goal certainly isn't to make her dainty by any means. what i'd like to do is show off her curves.. right now of course she's getting a lumpy sort of look.

to be honest, i'm not sure why i posted that pic. it's really not flattering. i guess i was playing around and did a quick shot to show that i'm working on her. that pose and lighting rig is.. certainly not something i'm going to hang onto.

Thegodzero -- if that's the type of woman you see at the grocery store, i'm comming to vist. really though, that last pic is a tad lumpy, but i love nice curves on a woman. quite frankly when i see someone's ribcage i just see what she actually is -- psychologically unhealthy, and starving herself to match some ideal. the image of beauty we have now a days, quite frankly, is sick in a lot of ways.... but don't get me wrong... some thinner women are extremely gorgeous.

i'm going to do something with her soon. don't wory.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I feel like you seriously missed the mark if you were going for frazetta curves. This woman looks out of shape, not curvy -- she's bulbous and awkward, not sexualized.

at least to me, i dunno.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Bravo! You successfully made the most normal looking woman i have seen in 3d, and in doing so the most disturbing to see naked. She looks like women i see at the grocery store, only naked. Each render you post i feel a very great need to model clothes for...

dude...eww come on...there some BIG ladies down here...I dont want this thought in my head now *blarf*

on a serious note , It does hit OFF from the standard video game woman character with such exagurated features that it is the buxom bombshell look, something a bit more naturual is a nice change, I do agree about the hands and feet which mop brought up, but gotta say the other pic you posted before "Baby got back " :p

overall I wish to see more details in the textures / shader setup and something REALLY nice with the hair PLEASE! :)
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I couldn't help myself... She was falling over man! And she had a really bad back!!
    johnpaint.jpg

Also she needs two half loops on the underside of the tits.

PS hey john why not come down and say hi one of these days?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I agree with pesti about the need for better presentation. The 'reallife' proportions of the model are fine to me - but by presenting her with such cheap shaders you really hit the awkward 90ies CG look.

More stylized works can go fine with such harsh rendering styles (doom3 was very harsh, but quite beautiful because of the BOLD highpoly models used). The classical shapes of your model need something much more refined I believe - nice cast shadows, ambiant occlusion, a hint of a rim. It's obviously not a magic formula but it might help.

Not a fan of the pelvis straps huh (I have nothing again pierced hoods IRL!)

Good luck!