Home General Discussion

tech-artists.org and the Community Scripts Initiative

Greetings denizens of Polycount,

I don't think many of your follow what's happening on tech-artists.org, but we recently launched our "Community Scripts Initiative" (read about it here: http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=256 ). I won't go into a long explanation of what it because PC is a mostly non-technical community, but I do want to explain what effect it may have on you and how you can help.

Right now what we have implemented is the Community Repository aspect of the CSI. This is like a version-control system you can set up right from your forum Control Panel. We are pitching it mostly to scripters, to get them to develop in public, to allow others to branch and supplement their code. In the future, we will have integration with ScriptSpot, a module for Wordpress, and we are just beginning work on a script browser/installer that is run directly from within Max. And right now this is all Max centric, but we will be opening it up for Maya and Python as people contribute.

So what does this mean for most people here? Hmmm, not much I suppose. I just wanted to tell you about it because it is a big project we've been working on. Once the scriptspot integration is set up, I'll post again with some details. But as TAO is a tech artist-centric forum, most of the stuff is tech artist-centric :)

But in disproportion to what this means to you is what I'll ask of you. For those of you who do code, please start up a TAO repository. This is especially useful for the small types of scripts most people here write, because it will allow others to improve them and work from them, and even integrate them with other tools. For those of you who do not code, I'll ask you to tell people who do code about this and try to get them involved. This is a good asset and a benefit for the community, but how much so directly relates to how many people use it. But we TA's are a stubborn bunch, so I'd ask you to push those scripters you know towards it- I'm sure they'll thank you later, and everyone who benefits from their scripts will thank you as well.

That's all, thanks.

Replies