Home Full time/Part time work

BioWare Austin needs an Animator turned/turning/will turn Combat Designer

Well here's the description page: https://jobs.ea.com/jobs/jobposting.aspx?refresh=1&postid=a0z50000000GtDF

But let me explain what we really need.

This position has been open for a while, and we are having trouble filling it. SWTOR is trying to look a lot better in combat than other MMO's. We want combat that looks like an action game, not an MMO or RPG. Unfortunately our combat designers are excellent MMO designers, but are having trouble hitting their stride because they don't have the 'action' pedigree and don't understand animation. What we really need, I think, is an animator who wants to design (or a designer who wants to animate)... if you were to design a Vader boss for an MMO, and you needed to describe him, your answer should be 'really powerful and he walks with big strides towards you swinging his lightsaber, can push you down with the force, lots of destruction, swoosh vwamp zfring', not 'he's a tank character who does good damage but it poor at crowd control' or whatever.

This could be a really good chance for someone who has been a Senior or Lead Animator to switch over to design, or an action combat designer who wants a challenge and change of pace.

So yeah this is out of the norm for most job posts here, but I would really like to see animators try out for this position, because things need to be going better in this one specific area. If you are interested, please contact me via PM and I can explain some more details.

Replies