Home Technical Talk

Max to Maya user

Hi,
I am a 3dsmax user and would like to pick up the basics of Maya too.
Anybody know of any good tutorials / websites or books that teach Maya from a Max users perspective?
Thanks.

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    There's actually a max plugin that switches all the max hotkeys to match the maya hotkey layout. Dunno if there's anything specifically for max users goin to maya, but if you got a friend who knows maya see how much you can bug him as you fiddle with it.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    lol our Technical Director wrote a MEL script that looks and works exactly like Edit Poly in Max.

Maya isn't the best modelling program, but the navigation is pretty good.

This wasn't a bad tutorial site:
    http://www.3dlessons.com/categories/3D-Tutorials-Maya-3D-Tutorials/page2.html

This can be used to bake out AO and normal maps:
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/1317-tutorial-ambient-occlusion-maya-alchemist101.html

If you're familiar with render monkey or Unreal, you might LOVE the hypershader because its node based (aka material editor).
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Also,. Maya has a really lovely feature. The hotbox. I usually work without any UI piece up thanks to it. Mmm lovely workspace. As for tutorials. Hmm. I don´t know really. I learnt the basics by picking up the autodesk maya beginners book. The quality of that one is... so-so to say the least.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol our Technical Director wrote a MEL script that looks and works exactly like Edit Poly in Max.
    Do you have any idea, how many people would give a left nut (not necessarily their own) for something like that?

I started out with Maya, learned 3dsmax and am now more comfortable with 3ds. I've gone back and kept myself up to date in Maya but I feel your pain. Really the best thing I can suggest when switching either way, is just bite the bullet, get used to how it works and deal with the 1-2weeks of headache until it starts to feel like whoever stole your thumbs, finally gave them back to you.

Using scripts and switchers are pretty much just training wheels that end up prolonging the inevitable.

The good news is, I think its easier to go from 3ds to Maya then the other way around. Good luck, after a few days/weeks it starts to get better. For the most part they are almost identical apps, with different names and locations for the same tools.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vig
    Coming from maya, haven't used Max much- how does edit poly work?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.paulneale.com/tutorials/MaxMaya/maxMaya.htm
    You might also find this quick ref chart from Paul Neale (PEN) pretty helpful when finding what features are called.
    @vig
    Coming from maya, haven't used Max much- how does edit poly work?
    Its easiest to ask about specific functions you do in Maya that seem to be missing from 3dsmax. You should probably start another thread for that, since it will probably get a lot of replies from both sides. Those types of threads are awesome btw, so much good info gets recorded when those threads get started (as long as people can keep their biased opinions and pissing match attitudes out of the thread)

I think a great addition to both apps would be adding the terms from the other, into the help files. That way you can search for the terms you know and find the ones you need.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was mostly wondering why that script would be so valuable. I don't have any real interest in 3ds right now, but was curious whether it's a more efficient workflow, or just useful for people who are used to the max way.

On the original topic, i'd recommend to anyone learning maya the first two chapters of 'Complete maya programming'. Even if you have no interest in learning MEL, having an understanding of the guts of maya will allow you to take advantage of Maya's uniquely transparent architecture. It'll give you a better sense of why things are organized the way they are, and how to troubleshoot when things go wrong.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me its a few things functionality is one , if something emulated Edit poly perfectly I would be all over it. But it doesn't stop there, most of what NEX brings to the table (for a price, added to some already expensive software) has been in edit poly for years.

I've been a 3ds user for a while now and just gotten used to it. Plus a lot of Maya's tools are hidden or just not there, see NEX. After I got thru digging them out and bought NEX I was in much better shape. But take away NEX and I feel like someone stole my thumbs. I kind of regret not biting the bullet and just slogging thru, but it was driving me nuts.

Something NEX pushes hard to include is previewing. It's nice dragging a slider and see it update in the viewport without having to accept the change, undo, try again, undo, try again, undo ect... NEX is great, and I wouldn't use Maya without it unless I had to, but it doesn't come close to 3dsmax, edit poly and polyboost.

If you're going to pay for a plug-in, it should be on the level of polyboost, not NEX. NEX only levels the playing field but does little to expand it.

I guess what I miss the most, and its not really edit poly, but its the whole modifier stack and how it works oh and the pivot system. Maya's pivot system is slowly upgrading, which is great I hope they keep going. But the history stack is a dog that had its day and needs to retire.

EDIT: Actually you know what, they both suck at modeling. Silo is king! It's cheaper then both Polyboost and NEX. It isn't even a fraction of the cost of 3ds or Maya. It has a low learning curve, super fast, and behaves exactly like a 3d modeling app should. It just feels right. So why cobble something together, when you can have something that's far above it. The only drawbacks are, its a seperate app, work might not spring for it or want to support it, zero rigging, animation tools and very limited export options .obj is about it. To get things in game you'll probably need 3ds or Maya. But for modeling, its pure joy.
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    Problem with Maya is that if you really want the best out of it you need to put in the hours.

I think the worst thing you can do is go "Max does it this way, why doesn't Maya have the exact same tool?" because really, they both are very different programs. It's been said many times before.

I'd avoid using switching tools too, because Maya's not meant to work like Max and Max ain't supposed to work like Maya * otherwise what's be the point in having the two?
  • Griffnix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

I'm in the same boat as crumbum for the most part so i can feel that pain. I think besides the edit poly and the modifier stack, one thing i'm struggling with is the gizmo..

e.g. 3ds Max you can move or transform things across two axes at once, but i can't seem to do the same with Maya, am i missing something obvious here? i only have the option of 1 axis or all of them.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Griffnix: Hold down CTRL and click/drag on an axis to move in the perpendicular plane of that axis (tad weird but you'll get used to it) ... so for example if you want to move in XY plane, you'd CTRL-click and drag on the gizmo's Z axis.
  • Griffnix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    Griffnix: Hold down CTRL and click/drag on an axis to move in the perpendicular plane of that axis (tad weird but you'll get used to it) ... so for example if you want to move in XY plane, you'd CTRL-click and drag on the gizmo's Z axis.

Thanks MoP, i figured it out a little earlier as i remembered Maya treats shift as a plus and ctrl as a subtract in terms of selection, so it kinda makes sense.. but yeah tad weird >.>

... this is gonna take some time.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Actually don't Ctrl click and drag, the ctrl click is a toggle. Use it to lock any axis on the translate gizmo, click and drag when using the scale gizmo.

Shift is invert selection, Ctrl+Shift is add, and ctrl is remove.
    Vig wrote:
    It's nice dragging a slider and see it update in the viewport without having to accept the change, undo, try again, undo, try again, undo ect...

Use the input node in the construction history, select the attribute you want to adjust and use middle mouse button in the viewport to adjust it (hold ctrl to take smaller steps and shift for bigger) I never ever use the optionbox to set my bevel distance or merge tolerance or whatever.

Get used to using the MMB, it will affect anything that's selected/active without having to center the cursor on it.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    start by picking up maya 2009. Lots of features make it feel like max that I am actually considering switching over (on top of that that diamant UVs modelling tools looks so neat workflow wise). they ripped NEX so much in this version...Even the UVs have had an overall with a surprisingly great relax tool (and pelt like function). And now there is keys to preview your smooted model (if you ever do high res stuff) on top of other things that I dont really remember. but it IS easier for me to get around and do stuff in this version for some reasons...

After that learn all marking menus. IE, when you press and hold W and left click there is marking menus to access move tool options (not sure if this one is documented tho), so you barely have to open the properties box anymore...Work with scale and rotate key too. so you can enable soft selection on / off and so on, local orientation and the list goes on. custom shelve and you re good to go. Then after that only long enough practice / keyboard shortcuts will make you fly in it.

Still some things I miss from max that I wonder if I could get to work (like being able to scale some inseted polys each of theyre own center instead of maya considering it as a group). but overall this is the release that I was waiting for to consider it...I am sure I would miss some max features sometimes, but with enough time and patience I guess I would prefer maya in the long run, just because it is really really powerfull and there is some hidden gems all over.

Some scripts I saw here could complete your toolset (like the make planar script someone posted here). Enjoy the ride =)

good luck!
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    fr0gg1e wrote: »
    like being able to scale some inseted polys each of theyre own center instead of maya considering it as a group

Couldn't you do that with "keep faces together" turned off and using the offset attribute in extrude, or use "transform component" to scale several faces using their own centerpoint.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, they are slowly upgrading the pivot system, 3dsmax is still more robust but thankfully with 2009 they rolled out some great core features. But they need to keep going and it would be great if they made it easier to access, but I won't complain because at least they are starting to make changes.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    Couldn't you do that with "keep faces together" turned off and using the offset attribute in extrude, or use "transform component" to scale several faces using their own centerpoint.

Will try and let you know =) cheers! (maya noob here, dont slap me..yet).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e wrote: »
    start by picking up maya 2009. Lots of features make it feel like max that I am actually considering switching over (on top of that that diamant UVs modelling tools looks so neat workflow wise). they ripped NEX so much in this version...Even the UVs have had an overall with a surprisingly great relax tool (and pelt like function). And now there is keys to preview your smooted model (if you ever do high res stuff) on top of other things that I dont really remember. but it IS easier for me to get around and do stuff in this version for some reasons...

After that learn all marking menus. IE, when you press and hold W and left click there is marking menus to access move tool options (not sure if this one is documented tho), so you barely have to open the properties box anymore...Work with scale and rotate key too. so you can enable soft selection on / off and so on, local orientation and the list goes on. custom shelve and you re good to go. Then after that only long enough practice / keyboard shortcuts will make you fly in it.

Still some things I miss from max that I wonder if I could get to work (like being able to scale some inseted polys each of theyre own center instead of maya considering it as a group). but overall this is the release that I was waiting for to consider it...I am sure I would miss some max features sometimes, but with enough time and patience I guess I would prefer maya in the long run, just because it is really really powerfull and there is some hidden gems all over.

Some scripts I saw here could complete your toolset (like the make planar script someone posted here). Enjoy the ride =)

good luck!
    So far I haven't run into Maya missing anything that I can't do without. The main problem I kept running into for a while was that all those things are possible, its just how much time do you want to invest in getting it to work, and how do you organize Maya. Its a blank slate with quite a bit hidden here and there, finding it again and or digging it out takes some time.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    use "transform component" to scale several faces using their own centerpoint.
    I love you.