Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WWII Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251 Model

Hello everyone this is my first post here but I have been surfing these forums for a couple months here. I see a lot of really talented people and would like some thoughts on the work I started in Maya PLE.

This one of my first finished low poly models with a 2000 poly limit and a 512x512 texture map.

half_track.jpg

halftrack.jpg

halftrack2.jpg

halftrack3.jpg

halftrack9.jpg

Replies

• Travis_hill
    Hey sorry, I don't mean to bump but I posted this model a week or two ago and it got lost while I waited for a mod to approve it. I would still be interested in some peoples thoughts on this model. Thanks!
  • dolemite
    hey I think that is very good for a beginning modeler.

I would try and add more detail to the texture. I am not very familiar with this vehicle, but the material just isn't convincing. It seems kind of sloppy.

It's hard to say with the big letters across the screen :( Maybe get screen grabs instead of renders?

Keep at it. Maybe post a reference so that people can see what you are shooting for.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Them's odd rust edges you got there, might want to flickr some actual references of the vehicle first. The wheels on the side are too "cylinder" like.

The vehicle looks a little stretched compared to authentic ones as well.
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    grungy/rusted edging is legit, pilang, 'cause old school tanks had gaps where shit could gather and decay in the seams of the armour. The texture's well made (not saying it couldnt use a tune up) but the model's letting it down. What did you use for modelling reference?
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    the wheels/sprockets on the tracks really irk me
    you see right through the tracks onto the ground and the wheels/ sprockets are as thin as paper
    these are a few possible alternatives:

lowpoly-wheels.JPG
    also note that you can save 2 triangles by not using a center vertex

i also think that you could save some texture space if you used tiling textures on the canvas and tire tracks
    tiling-tracks-render.JPG

also on the canvas the mirroring is very obvious, i'd say take out that middle seam for just a wee assymmetry(and some saved polies)
  • Travis_hill
    Okay everyone, thanks for the feedback.
    Here is a picture of the Sdkfz 251
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LKvAtKe4fSQ/Rj0oLRDkX2I/AAAAAAAAAFA/xOF0UI01UJ4/IMG_3721.JPG

@dolemite:
    Hey sorry about the big words across the top, this is the Maya PLE and those pictures are screen grabs. I can't get around them unless I post just a wireframe.

@Snader:
    That looks really nice and I think I can afford the extra polys. I'll give it a shot.
    The tracks are titled I could do it much smaller though.

This is a picture I used to help create the texture. I think this is a plastic model someone made.
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/83/253295457_ed85efc1de.jpg