Sketchbook: whipSwitch

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
woke up early.....
12_18_08a.jpg
12_18_08b.jpg

women are....tricky.

seems like I'm perpetually avoiding the "dude with tits" syndrome.

either way, c&c is always welcome.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good to see another sketchbook here. Id say the face needs the most work, the body isnt perfect but the face really strikes me as unnatural. Maybe work from reference some more, the eyes dont really have enough depth to the sockets and are pretty large, the lips are sitting on top of flat skin rather than looking like they are naturally joined to mouth muscles and the jaw is harshly chisseled and the ears are flat.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch man. Reworked the face a bit. The ears just need to be retopped, there isn't enough resolution there to start defining the inside, so i tried to get the placement right. Which is weird, cause it feels like they are sticking way out now. But regardless, here it is.

womanHead_12_19_08.jpg
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JonathanArmstrong
    Seems to me that the ears are too far back. The mouth also seems a bit far down from the nose, creating a jaw that is pretty sharp overall. When I saw the face, the square-ish jaw made me think it was a male. From the side view, the weight of the body is leaning forward: if you draw a line straight down from the C4 (fourth vertibrae/pivot between spine and neck) the body should line up along that line. I think if you tilted the torso back and tucked in the bottom abdomin, it would also add to the curvy feel. The scapulas (shoulder bones) also appear to be too long and join too harshly with the deltoids. The buttox would be less defined as it joins into the leg and form more of a teardrop shape. The hands are a little too bony for a woman and the pinky is too long. Your monster character looks good and you seem to have a good sense of detail, just trying to help you make it better.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally back from the holidays, and have been doing some work on the new "gremlin" ( for lack of a better name atm )

Ged and Jonathan - thanks for the feedback about the woman, I'm gonna revisit her again after I finish this guy, and I'll definitely keep it in mind on future ladies.

on with the work:

gremlinWip02.jpg

there is definitely stuff in the pot to be fixed, worked on, but any thoughts would be helpful.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found some time to work on the gremlin, having some topology issues. As in, not enough...ack.

gremWip04.jpg
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realized I hadn't posted any updates in a while. Work without updates?!?! Oh the horror....

wolfWip01.jpg

decided to sit and finish this guy. So I immediately scrapped his armour and started remodeling it. I modeled the armour base meshes in Maya this time, and it works much smoother. Live and Learn. Also tightened up some of the anatomy and completely resculpted the hair.
  • L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L polycounter lvl 11
    very cool models you got here. I like the fact that you are doing 3d anatomy studies, that's the first time I've seen someone post things like that. the "gremlin" character is coming out nice, really feeling his outfit and the apparatus on his back. I'm not really a 3d guy so I can't lay down some technical swagger for crits or nething, but just a minor pick if I may. The wolfman model is looking slick, I like the muscle structure overall. It does seem however that his legs are off balance. the weight of those huge calf leg muscles + the weight of the rest of his body looks like it would just fold over the bottom part of his legs, or snap them in half. that is all I can find, very nice work
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank ya much man. Yea i realized this same thing when I scrapped the previous armour he had. Originally he had bulky leg wraps on the lower parts of his legs and the increased size seem to level out the weight, but I'm working on bulking them up to match.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so short of just letting the sketchbook fall by the wayside and rot, i thought i might dump some stuff I've done recently. Not gonna change the world but I think its worth showing...

a couple of head studies....
    buffDude01.jpg

fisherHead.jpg

trying to get a grasp of hard surface in zbrush.....
    alienHeadWIP01.jpg

and the final HP for the wolf guy, finished it a while ago and have been picking away at the LP....
    wolfFinalRender2.jpg