Home Technical Talk

Render does not show all of my model, Maya

I am very close to being done with my second modeling project, a dinosaur i made for my 3d modeling and animation class. it's due tomorrow but i'll get it done today. fairly low poly as compared to awesomeness i see here, but it's mine and i have big aspirations for the future.

We are using maya 2008 unlimited on Mac platform and when i IPR render it, i see everything but the teeth on my dinosaur. When i get in close in the render image, i see little deposits where the teeth should be but they're just missing. The individual teeth i modeled and then made a group for the top, combined into one model [Mesh-->Combine], then copied and rotated that model for the lower jaw. Later I mirrored the half dinosaur so I then had 2 more sets of chompers. I stitched the dinosaur halves together but I have this render problem. It's pretty strange, I think. Can I get some fast help on this please?

Thank you very much.

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Well.. I cant really help but if you want people to help you should probably post images and describe things a little better.. like materials and things like that. Also what version of Maya are you using?

EDIT: uuh.. only thing I can come to think of with disappearing geometry is flipped polygon normals.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what get's rendered...

green2nddino3kq5.jpg
    w640.png

And no materials, it's just simple colors. I picked the faces on the toes, spikes, teeth, etc and gave them a lambert non-reflective surface of white.

And in my post I said Maya 2008 unlimited edition.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Uhm, it looks like it's more than just the teeth that is missing? Did you check for flipped polygons? I believe Maya shows everything with 2 sided shading so it'd be hard to spot. you can turn off 2 sided lighting by going to the viewport menus Lighting > Two Sided Lighting.

To actually spot if they are flipped you can go to Face selection mode and select a face then shift + right click for pie menu. From there you go Face Normals > Toggle Face Normal Display. Anything with things pointing inwards instead of outwards have flipped polygons. In the same pie menu you can find ways to flip/reverse them back. You can also display normals by going top menu Display > Polygons > Face Normals.

This is the only thing I can come to think of... if it doesn't work you'll probably have to post the file or hope someone better comes by and tells you what's wrong :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like wrong facing polys to me...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    turn on backface culling in the viewport and see if it looks the same
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Oh right.

Display > Polygons > Backface Culling

God.. my Maya kept rendering out the backface anyway and I couldn't find where to turn it off. Apparently it isn't under the materials but on the surface node instead. I.e. if you create a cube you can go to it's shape attributes and change it under the Render Stats tab (uncheck double sided)...

Right.. so the story goes like this. Basically your polygons have one direction that is the front and the another that is the back. Usually you don't render the back since it won't get shown.. unless you have double sided checked. What probably happened to you is that when you mirrored the polygons got flipped. if you use the mirror tool it shouldn't be any problems but if you mirror by doing a -100% scale it might flip the polygons on the mirrored part.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Sorry, I didn't read your reply properly kawe you're basically saying the same thing. I think the tool to make the normals all face the way is under Normals>Conform.
    n88tr, if you find it is backfacing polys give that a go, along with edit>delete all by type>history, and modify>freeze transforms