Home Technical Talk

Transfer UV layout mini-tut

This will cover transfering one UV layout (old) to another (new). If you've ever had to do changes to a UV layout after a model has been textured this is for you. It basically takes this approach and re-purposes it. I found that approach kind of confusing the first time around so hopefully this won't be like that.

Also know that you can use this trick to apply tile textures to your unique unwrap. Works great for getting wood grains to line up across a jumble of seams.

DockPiling02.jpg

3dsmax:
1) Apply 1st UnwrapUVW Modifier, leave its Map Channel at 1 (default). This will contain your final unique layout.

2) Apply 2nd UnwrapUVW Modifier, set its Map Channel to 2 and rearrange your pieces to work with the tiles. It doesn't need to look good in the UV editor, its whats on the model that matters.
2a) Make a multi-subobject material, placing your tiles in which ever slot, and assigning the materials to the correct faces.

3) Make sure your materials are set to use UV2 (whatever the material is set to, is what RTT will pull from)

4)Press 9 to bring up the Render Setup Dialog (or click the teapot/paper icon), click the Render tab. Uncheck "Antialiasing" and check on "Disable All Samplers". This will keep max from applying a blur to all renders and ensure you sharp pixel for pixel renders.

5) In Render To Texture (shortcut key "0") Under Mapping Coordinates make sure"Use Existing Channel" to 1. This is the layout it will put your textures too.

6) Create a diffuse element, render and you're ready to start painting some unique details.

If you have a bump, spec & Diffuse, you put each map in the diffuse slot (in your material), and repeat the bake out a new "diffuse map" using RTT remembering to rename it bump, spec whatever...
Keep in mind this doesn't work with NORMAL bump maps just B/W. Since normal maps are highly dependent on the pieces orientation. You will need to rebake the normal map if you rotated any of the pieces.

Note 1: Don't forget to delete the second UnwrapUVW modifier. If you've collapsed its no big deal, you need to go into Edit > Channel Info and delete the ID called 2:map. Or apply a "UVW Mapping Clear" Modifier, set it to 2 and collapse.

Note 2: You don't need to use a multi sub object material, you can use separate pieces with separate materials and combine them all together just before you bake. This will actually create a multi-sub for you and take care of assigning the polys the correct material ID's.

Maya:
-Dupe your model
- Redo the UV coordinates
- Transfer maps from old model to new.

Use the same trick as 3ds for bump spec and diffuse.

(There might be some trickery I'm missing since I'm not in front of Maya but that's the gist of it)
There might also be some more convoluted way to juggle a 2nd UV channel but I haven't figured out, so if someone knows, please explain!

Replies