Home Technical Talk

Quick back and forth between Modifiers? (Max)

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
Is there a way to do this? Specifically between my base mesh and my MeshSmooth modifier? I can't stand modeling with the "Show End Result" toggle, and find myself constantly going up and down to see the final result. A hotkey for this would be nice. Any ideas?

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ott: I assigned my own custom hotkey to "show end result" and to: "Use NURMS Subdivision" (under Subdivision Surface of Edit Poly) because it was annoying manually clicking it in the rollout.

The only problem for me is there is no way to assign a hotkey to the "Show Cage" box in that same rollout and I always have to turn it off to see how things are smoothing.

So my advice is to simply assign your own custom hotkey. Is this what you were talking about?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    No. I don't want to work with "Show End Result" at all, like you said about the cage issue. It's a pain to really get a good view of what the final result is without all that godawful cage mess onscreen. It's just a few clicks, but after doing it 900 times a day I wish there was a faster way to see it :(
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I know what you mean, I almost made a post on PC asking for someone to right a script for me so I could have a shortcut for it. But I figured it would be a bit too much to ask.

It certainly would save a lot of time in the long run to have such a shortcut.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is it you want to do? You want to turn a modifier on and off? If you explain clearly I can write something up quick.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Next Modifier
    Previous Modifier

Look for these in the hotkey list in Customize User Interface.

I have Previous Modifier on A, Show End Result on S, and Next Modifier on D, means I can skip up and down the stack and show end result at any time without ever moving my mouse.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds super easy to do in maxscript if you're just toggling a modifier or traversing the stack. I won't bother piecing something together because Rob will just blow my 85 line script away with 2 lines of awesome. Unless of course he fails to make awesome.

Just out of curiosity whats wrong with toggling the little light bulb next to the modifier name? One click? Almost as easy as a shortcut...
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if (selection.count >= 1) and (selection[1].modifiers[#MeshSmooth] != undefined) then
    	selection[1].modifiers[#MeshSmooth].enabled = not selection[1].modifiers[#MeshSmooth].enabled

I'll let Slum come up with the macro name, but that should be all the code required to toggle the modifier on and off.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    macroScript PeekaBooMeshSmooth
    category: "ModifierTools"
    (
    if (selection.count >= 1) and (selection[1].modifiers[#MeshSmooth] != undefined) then
        selection[1].modifiers[#MeshSmooth].enabled = not    selection[1].modifiers[#MeshSmooth].enabled
    )

fixed. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha Slum, that's hilarious.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i'm sure my solution is more useful in general ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not just use the NURMS subdivision that's inside Editable Poly? You can turn off the cage permanently, no need to switch between modifiers.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Why not just use the NURMS subdivision that's inside Editable Poly? You can turn off the cage permanently, no need to switch between modifiers.

Yah. All the same controls here, and I though you could set a hotkey to toggle subdivisions on/off as well. Not quite sure what MeshSmooth modifier would do for you in comparison to the options already built into Editable Poly.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    isn't Turbosmooth meant to be faster than the EPoly basic subdivision stuff anyway?