Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Raccoon Police Department (image heavy)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
In anticipation for Resident Evil 5, I decided to model my next project after the main hall of the Raccoon City Police Department from RE2 and 3. I'm nowhere near finished yet, but by posting early, I'm hoping you guys will catch something obvious that I've missed. I plan on taking some creative liberties with the scene by adding some extra furniture and props where it makes sense to, because I notice its very big and empty in the actual game - for ease of player movement I guess.

79724426xk0.jpg
70270037dp5.jpg
blahxh3.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    the scale looks off with the stairs comparitive to the railing.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Dekard wrote: »
    the scale looks off with the stairs comparitive to the railing.

It's been a long time since I've played RE2, so I don't know if the stair/rails look like that and that's what you're going for, but here are some guidelines for stair guard and hand rails:

guardrail02.gif
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Looks like an ok start. I wish I still had this game. It seems a lot smaller compared to the game. I remember it being a lot more spaceyer and open.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, scales very off. May want to re-think the scape and scale of things in a more basic way before going into detail mode.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, I think the scale *might* be off, lol.

Thanks for the input guys. I knew something didn't look right other than the lighting. I think my mistake was starting to model without having a proportionate human model for scale. I'll be fixing that.

As to the spaciness of the area - this was an area that kinda subjective for me. I used screenshots from 2, 3 and Outbreak as reference but the developers at Capcom seem to contradict themselves as to how spacious the area is. RE2 gave the player enough space to do cartwheels and tumbles (not that your character actually could) whereas as Outbreak seemed quite abit more cramped.

But whatever the case, YES, scale must be fixed before adding any other details. Thank you for your input! Updates to follow :)
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been plugging at this a little bit more. Scaling has been tweaked, and a few more props and basic lighting added to the scene. Constructive feedback welcome and appreciated as always Thanks for everything I've received sofar! :)

hmmud0.jpg

Lots more detail in the back of the main hall need to be added. This area has been largely ignored sofar :(

hmm2it2.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really different to how I remember it...?

EDIT: Scale wise, I don't think you got it quite right still... The player model is about the width of the little panel on the front of the fountain, which would mean thats ok, and the PC is ok, but then the lamps are very large and the chair is huge...? Maybe its perspective...? The best thing you can do for this is release the pics based on the classic camera views instead, that way its easier to tell things, perspective wise.
  • Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    Cool idea for a project. Brings back memories.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice update, the lighting looks pretty cool but is confusing to me. For example, the objects that look like they would produce light, don't appear to be adding light to the scene, and many of the shadows that are being cast are coming from weird angles.
    I'm certainly no lighting expert so I could be wrong.
    Looking forward to seeing more.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just a quick update (gotta be up in 6 hours, yikes!!). Restarted the lighting from scratch, this time with very faint indoor lighting, most of it coming from natural evening light from outside. So here's hoping it makes more sense now.

Also Odium, I decided to take your advice and render a shot from a camera angle present in the game. Those with crazy good memory will also notice this is the same angle you view the station at when you enter it for the first time in game.

renderedlu5.jpg