Home General Discussion

Self taught and resumes

I've been wondering this for a while now - but is it better for someone who is self taught and never went to college to omit their education from a resume than to state that they were self taught? I've seen some people in their resume state that they are self taught. People who omit education, I imagine, probably have the question of education come up during the interview process. Does any of this really matter to most employer's if the interviewee's portfolio is solid? I imagine the answer is no, but I'm still curious.

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Your education really proves nothing. Im a firm believer in a solid portfolio above anything else.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I am too, i have no bachelor or diploma. Also, be disciplined and a good guy, this way you get the job.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    The resume is a list of reasons to hire you. It's not a mini-biography.

Omit non-relevant jobs, and any details that aren't reasons to hire you. Such details may come up in your interview, but they don't belong on your resume.

You're correct that studios don't generally mind a lack of formal education. A candidate's portfolio is what matters.
  • ohnein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ryan. I guess I really never completely looked at it from that perspective. I've always looked a resume as just a list of skills and (relevant) professional experience rather than solid reasons for getting the job you're applying for.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    It would probably be wise to at least mention if you graduated from High School.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Im a firm believer in a solid portfolio above anything else.

If there's no real work experience to compensate for this one still has to do some extra convincing in the interview stage (is the applicant mature enough to take directions and work with others?). Maybe they'll need to pass a test to make the hiring guys sure that their folio and chop's legit.

Anyhow ohnein if you get interviewed, just be prepared to answer questions about your educational background. Like why you weren't able to go the conventional training route (no help with finances, or no available school in your area, etc.). Then you can further say you got involved in forums where pros hang out and you can show samples where you learned from their crits and made the necessary changes (getting references from industry guys would be really really good as an alternative to a diploma). Try not to be cocky though and reason out that your skills are better than what's out there (might actually be true for the artists who'll interview you and saying this will just make them insecure and make them not like you).

If you're applying for an ad that specifically mentions degree requirements, you're just gonna waist your time applying if you can't fit the bill. HR people who first screens people usually only care about the paper stats and background as opposed to a person's potential and skill level (you'll have to seek out and network with working artists who can open doors for you if you want to take that route). HR's not gonna go to every folio link they receive. They'll weed from the online forms first or resumes, and they'll let the leads or directors pick and choose who'll they'll set their "precious" time to interview.

If you're applying to an outsourcing agency though, I think those guys can be more flexible regardless of your education, police record (if you have one), or where you live on earth as long as you have a convincing folio ready. They can just screw you pay wise anyway if you fuck up your agreed deliverables.
  • ohnein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm self taught and currently happily employed, so I have gone through that interview process. My original post was more of a general question, and not just an inquiry of what I should do. I don't have much experience dealing with interviewing though. My first job I got when I was 16, then when I left there I got my current job on my first on-site interview (bombed a phone interview - might not have exactly fit the bill for what they were looking for anyway).

I guess I was looking more for personal experiences or opinions on the subject. Thankfully since I have friends at a lot of companies, and if I need to get a job somewhere else, I can always talk to them to push my resume and get noticed by HR. I've done this in the past and it avoided the HR filtering out my resume.

I'm not an artist, I'm a level designer so having specific education to my career is a bit fuzzy anyway. I do want to pursue education in fine or tradition art because art does intrigue me.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I have no education in the arts ( or anything else really ), I made it clear I was self taught each time I applied for a job. I work at Epic so I don't think this information hurt me, rather it proved I was highly self motivated and capable of learning new things myself which is a useful skill in the games industry.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've said this a ton of times on here (and other forums): I've never been asked about my education at ANY of the job interviews I've had and have been working in the industry for about 5 years. I consider myself self taught even though I went to school for a year. In my opinion, going to school doesn't show more maturity or greater knowledge when it concerns a field like this. If, for some reason, a company likes you but questions your abilities, they'll give you some form of art test.

When I interviewed artists at previous jobs, education rarely came up. Granted, it was known most came from Ai and we were fairly familiar with their curriculum...but even still, we mostly asked about the persons portfolio.

In the end, I think it all comes down to your portfolio and wether or not you went to Yale or made mods in your mother's basement doesn't really matter. I put my education on my resume just becaus eI went in debt to have "something" but, again, I really don't think having it has given me any form of advantage over others.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm self taught with a few classes here and there, I left education off my resume, but I had some work history to fill it in and some of it was game related. I guess if your resume is short enough it can be just a contact page with some highlights of your skills.

Really, I doubt any company would bounce anyone with skill just because they didn't have some kind of degree. It really would be their loss if they did.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Education is more important if you want to work in a different country. I've hit a few roadblocks because I didn't finish my Degree.. Visa application processes can be tough!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    yeap, thats the only reason i got my degree,
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    and even with one (or 2), it can be tough :(
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    I am a level designer too, and I have never been asked after my education. I have never even mentioned "education" on my resume. No one ever cared, and no one should ever care.