Home Technical Talk

Cartoon style textures

I have big problem with cartoon style textures like World of Warcraft. I very like that style, but don't have any idea how this is painting. I'm new in 3d modeling/texturing and maybe this is stupid problem, but maybe anyone have information or idea how create textures in that style? Today i spend 4-5h for creating wood textures, but this look like sh...t - not like wood ;)

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    draw and paint each day- that way you will improve and reach the level you want now. Painting with a tablet (anything else is meh) takes time to master - and painted textures are not different.

maybe post what you have so you get more context sensitive feedback
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, those are all hand painted textures, so what you really need to do is just practice your traditional art and get a better understanding of form, light, color theory, and texture, and then it will work your way into your 3d abilities.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Get a drawing tablet. Even if it is a cheap one, a sub-par drawing tablet will still give you better results than trying to paint with a mouse. Painting with a mouse has always, and will always be crap.

Start off with broad color blocks. Decide which major colors you want where on the model, and paint them in. Don't be careful or precise, just slap them on there with big, broad strokes. If there is a bit of overlap, don't worry you can clean it up later. Being too picky with things right away is a rookie mistake. Good painters don't do so a detail at a time. They paint in consecutive layers. Flesh out the broad strokes first. Then refine them in another layer. Then refine them again, and again.

You can sketch detail lines to use as guides, but never make lines a part of your painting. Even a stylized cartoon has lots of line variations. If you look at the World of Warcraft textures, you will almost never see lines. Its always shaped blocks of painted color. You can't approach a texture painting the same way you would a sketch. Sketches are for guides only.
  • kredzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havw tablet - very cheap but for first step maybe this can be okey. But i have one problem with drawing on tablet... My lines are not straight, because my hand pulse (i don't know are this good word)... Are in photoshop something like in Flash where we can align lines?