Home General Discussion

Question to other professionals out there.

I am having trouble getting my clips or assets of my work at one of the studios that I worked for. What is the best way to handle this. I know since I created the work I still retain my copyrights. What is the best way to get a copy of my work? They are not very cooperative with my request. What do you guys do to get copies of your work?

Replies

• Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    "I know since I created the work I still retain my copyrights"

If you are in the US, chances are pretty good that this is not correct. I don't know how the law works in other places, but in the US, if you create work for a company, the work is owned entirely by the company unless you have a contract stating otherwise.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You own nothing you create for the company while under the employ of the company (be it fulltime, partime, freelance, contract, etc), unless otherwise stated in a written contractual agreement.

-caseyjones
  • Marcus Dublin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Did the game show up in any previews, or better yet was it published? If so then perhaps you can get a few screen grabs from sites like IGN or whatever and use that until you clear the air with the company in question.

Other than that I would refrain from posting anything until you get the green light, preferably in writing. Good luck!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yo could blackmail them by selling clips on ebay:) or noT as the case may be
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I know since I created the work I still retain my copyrights.

lol I can't believe there is someone in the CG industry that actually thinks this :poly142:
  • Mangled Poly
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah if you are in the US you own the rights to nothing.... At many companies if you even created personal work on their machines then technically they own that as well. A lot of companies will not enforce that strict of rules however some may. Just something to keep in mind!
  • Michael Knubben
    This isn't only in the us, mind. Actually, how would that even work? If this were the case, they'd have to pay you royalties per copy they sold, and ask for your permission to reproduce it in promotional items like screenshots or box-art or whatever else they think of.

Read your contract before you sign it, seriously.

On the other hand, make sure you have copies of your work at all times. Your last day at work usually isn't the day you want to hang around and copy stuff to an external hdd on. Ofcourse, it's too late for that now, so check your contract for a clause on portfolio presentation. I've had a few of those in contracts, and usually it tells you to get written permission before you put it online anywhere, but at my last job they were very lenient about it.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    well, contact someone of your ex coworkers there and see if they are willing to take some screengrabs for you and send u.
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah if you are on planet earth you own the rights to nothing....

fixed.
  • EarthQuake
    MightyPea wrote: »
    This isn't only in the us, mind. Actually, how would that even work? If this were the case, they'd have to pay you royalties per copy they sold, and ask for your permission to reproduce it in promotional items like screenshots or box-art or whatever else they think of.

Read your contract before you sign it, seriously.

On the other hand, make sure you have copies of your work at all times. Your last day at work usually isn't the day you want to hang around and copy stuff to an external hdd on. Ofcourse, it's too late for that now, so check your contract for a clause on portfolio presentation. I've had a few of those in contracts, and usually it tells you to get written permission before you put it online anywhere, but at my last job they were very lenient about it.

Absolutely, even beyond that, ask them about this during your interview, or your first day on the job. If they have some funky wording in the contract that would prohibit this(as can be the case sometimes) this is really your only chance to get a revised contract. Most places will let *artists* show off their work, that the studio has approved, after the project is done.

And yeah, NEVER wait until after you've left the studio, you dont want to risk having some sort of hard feelings about the way you left, etc. Once you're gone they could care less about you, and really have no reason to help you out.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    At many companies if you even created personal work on their machines then technically they own that as well.

Like with Nightmare before Christmas. Burton did the first sketches at work, and so Disney owned the designs. Worked out better for him though, it made funding and distributing it easier.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I know since I created the work I still retain my copyrights. What is the best way to get a copy of my work? They are not very cooperative with my request.

Only repeating the above. It belongs to the company. You're the one not cooperating with them. When the product is released, or perhaps soon before, you may ask to post some screenshots of work you've done.