Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mobile 3D Game spec's

I was curious if anyone has worked on any 3D Mobile games. I started playing around tonight and was only able to come across this image

wiresut8.jpg

What is the typical polycount for a 3rd person game? It looks like textures are 32x32 or 64x64 for main character. I found screenshots of games but no specs. Thanks

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should be in Technical Talk, since you're not showing any work. Also, there is a thread in the archive with a long list of different devices' specs. I hope that helps
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Depends on which platform you are aiming for. On the DS you could use something around 300 polys for the main character and a 128x128 diffuse (64x64 preferably).

The DS can render up to 2048 polys at the same time on the 3d screen. It also has backface culling and renders polys as quads instead of tris if the vertexes are coplanar. Another nice feature is texture compression, so the system is not as limited as it looks.

Hope that helps.
  • hansedr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I was looking into the mobile phone spec's and it looks like it shouldn't be anymore than about 150-160 tri's for a main character. I'm finding It's hard to hold a silhouette with that limited amount of tir's..lol. 300 works pretty good but, possibly even 250 but 150. Sux. Very challenging. lol I'm working on Superman based off of ed mcguinness design. I still have to work on the boots/hands but here is the DS version so far. Sitting at 494 tri's. Currently optimizing and laying out the uv's.

screensu0.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    We could prob help more with a wire view, see how your balancing your poly usage.
  • hansedr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, Not sure why my screenshot did that..lol. Yeah, I'm still working on the wires right now (knee's, elbow's, feet and hands). I just wanted to try and get the overall outline and then tweak so the topology is not the best at the moment. But if I get a chance I am going to work on it @ lunch today.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't worked on any but my Nokia N70 (and I believe most Symbian 60 OS phone) can run a slightly cut-down version of Quake 1 without any problems. I don't believe any of the geometry was cut down, but the textures have been scaled down a fair bit.

Might be an idea to use that as a rough guideline? I think the guy who developed it posted up a fair bit of info on where he found limitations during development. Most of it was texture/lighting, as far as I know.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/hinkka/Download.html
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    So far from experiance Ive found the DS is not a bad little device.
    Whats wierd is how no1 seems to want to push the DS to its limits, current game im working on looks really brilliant, amazes me everyday that its on a DS of all things!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Flynny wrote: »
    So far from experiance Ive found the DS is not a bad little device.
    Whats wierd is how no1 seems to want to push the DS to its limits, current game im working on looks really brilliant, amazes me everyday that its on a DS of all things!

yeah, looking at games like DQ9 and Phantasy Star 0 makes me really love the DS, it's capable of some pretty bad ass stuff.