Home Technical Talk

Help with lighting map for environment!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone!

Heres what i posted in my thread but figured i should post here as more people might check in (i really need to see how to do this so i can start texturing :()
Ok so here is what i did, i set up the lights like in the second picture so that i could render out a light map to overlay ontop of my diffuse. The second picture shows how the render looks with my current light set-up. Now, when i render out the light/shadow map, i get the map on its right. Now there is no overlappig of uvs as all the mirrored shit was offset'd. What gives? isnt there a way i could render out a lightmap like the redner i have?
I then tried a skylight and rendered out a map using a light tracer. Did a normal render as shown in the top. And the map on the right shows it as map. I dont see any light from the spot ligths and stuff.
3097,wtfLRG7P.jpg
What gives? :/ why cant i render out a lightmap properly with the standard lights? i also have two photometric lights and i tried everything (radiosity,mental shaders,etc)

Any and all help is appreciated guys! :)
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    What you've got now w/ the light and shadow map is pretty much an AO map, or so it looks. Try baking out w/ a 'Complete Map' w/ your current light setup. You should exactly what you see in your scene but on your texture map.

Good luck.

-Tyler
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you very much for dropping in and helping! Much appreciated :)
    I rendered out a complete map but i have no idea why, it churned up this map.
    A few moments ago, eric told me to check into vertex colours (something that i wasnt remotely aware of).Which pretty much got the job done too! thanks eric and bobo :D
    had to paint some shadows in,get texporter and now will fix it up in photoshop :)
    3103,wtf7PIOT.jpg

I feel like an ass now after seeing how simple the problem was :(

Thanks again guys, and admin, you can delete the thread if you please :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    nah, I'd ask to leave it in case it can help someone else.