Home› Technical Talk

Max exporting issues

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
So, in my "Learn Max from Maya" journey I've run into another problem.

1. I'm trying to export my model for Max into UE3 so I can mess around with some in game renders but I keep running into this problem. I export in ASE with the proper checkboxes done and import into Unreal...there's nothing. No triangles, no verts. I'm a bit confused since I'm following the Hourences tutorial to a t. It's as if my file is empty.

2. I also at one point tried to export to Maya since I know how to get things in engine from there but then in Maya my UV space has gone to hell. My laid out UVs are now displaying as if I just planar mapped them in a side viewport. I had collapsed the stack in Max prior to export, but I feel I must be missing a crucial step for this to happen.

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What version of Max?

If you are using pre-2009, download the guruware obj exporter for Max (2009 just took or bought it and release it as their obj exporter now, but it is the same thing). That should fix your planar-UV map issue.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm worked for me on 1st try ever yesterday (max 9)...maybe throw a reset xform on it see if that helps?

Also in the ASE export box i pretty much ticked everything to make sure.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    o.o just works instant on any version i worked with, and i just ticked everything that i need i won't need shapes and cameras etc so i don't tick them, just plain mesh, uvs etc.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    For second problem:
    ok so you unwrapped in max properly, then collapsed everthing and exported to Maya but it turned up fked up?
    Did you use the correct export options? preserve uvs from the dialogue box should be checked if you already didnt know
    Maybe try saving your uvs through the Unwrap UVW modifier and load in maya?

Also, my ASE exported it correctly the first time aswell
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, I tried the Xform modifier and it made getting into Maya work. UVs were preserved there but still nothing as far as UE3. However when I exported it as ASE from maya it worked fine and went into the engine....weird. Thanks for the feedback everyone.