Home Technical Talk

[Zbrush into Max] UV Mapping/Normal Map not fitting

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
reiro polycounter lvl 10
Hi there,

First let me introduce my problem:

1. I modelled a low poly head in max and then did all the detailing with zbrush.

2. When i finished the detailing stage in zbrush i took the low poly model of it back in max and unwrapped it.

3. Then noticed that i should have done the unwrapping before detailing in zbrush.

4. Wanted to bake a normal map onto the low poly head but obviously had no uvs on my high detailed zbrush head.

Secondly, i tried to solve the "problem" as follows:

zbrush_headhigh.jpg

1.This is my detailed head in Zbrush with NO uvw's.
I then created a projection of the normal.

zbrush_projection.jpg

2. After i projected the high poly head i loaded the low poly (unwrapped) head from max into zbrush and projected the normal from the detailed head to it. It gave a nice CLEAN result.

zbrush_normalwithauvtiles.jpg

3. I saved the normal map texture from zbrush and loaded the normal onto the model in max. And noticed that the nose of the model does not fit with the normal.

show.jpg
Texmap of normal

zbrush_messinmax.jpg
Mesh in max

Why is that? Why is it all cool in Zbrush but "messed" up in max? If it should be unclean uvw unwrapping isnt zbrush using the same unwrap coords?
Is there another way out of it besides a lot of photoshop work?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks fine to me :/ but you are bound to have some overlapping in the cage when you project such congested spaces. You could just smudge it over i guess (not alot of work)
    Every software generates normals differently i believe. You probably should have kept the projections to either max or xnormal.

oh also, you dont need the high poly to be unwrapped. Its only required to transfer the information to the low poly, which has to have uvs
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Ok thx will try that.

Is there a plugin for Zbrush for UVW Unwrapping?
    Or is it better doing the unwrap process in max, maya or unfold3d?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    No as far as i know, you cant unwrap anything in zbrush. It is DEFINITELY better to unwrap your models inside some hardcore stable modeling software like max maya.
    Or you could use unfold3d, but i have heard some people having problems with how it works.
    Whatever works for you :)