Offline / Send Message
Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
Dear Polycounter,

Are you brave (and/or) foolhardy?

If so, please download CrazyBump 1.1 rc4

New features:
  • Extra Super fast!
  • More Hotkeys!
  • Not likely to make your computer explode!
www.crazybump.com/release/CrazyBump11_RC4.exe

Replies

• Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It IS extra super fast! Nice job Ryan :)
    I love the scaling animation of the texture.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Your occlusion generating tool still rocks the house!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, thanks Ryan!

...I bought a personal copy last month, you big money-grabbing madman!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    You Rock Ryan!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I'm planning to offer myself a copy of this wonderfull tool for christmas !

/me happy

Thx alot for this beta Ryan !
  • maltuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sah-weeet! if we have a personal copy of CB, can we upgrade to this?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, it is noticeably faster when generating ambient occlusion from normals... I used to have to wait for ages when I dropped the Power value down to 0, now it's nearly instant. Good job!
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Maltuna: Yep, 1.1 will be a free upgrade!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    BUGS!!!!!
    hahaha i missed them alot
    it suddenly turned a part of the normalmap black and all ohter textures were solid grey hehehe
    (avter enhancing normal map volume)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    tried 2 images last night and got good results, was a little bit of a wait on some of the settings but I do only have an amd 3500+
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    awesome! played with it a bit this morning..

i do have a request, how complicated would it be to make a way to batch process files in crazy bump? similar to a photoshop droplet.

we deal with lots of textures and now we have a shader department and it would be so useful to throw a bunch of files at crazy bump and have it generate maps based on settings we predefined.

ideal functionality would be to define settings, save a config file, then dump a bunch of normal maps into crazy bump and have it out put a psd with normal, spec, ao, ect. as separate layers.

my goal would be to define values for specific materials like metal, glass, ect, then save those settings as a file, or a stand alone exe (like a droplet) then tell crazybump to go, and then i go get some coffee while it makes all the art for me.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, I also got the blackenned normals while mixing hightmaps in the mixer. It would appear and disappear (and reappear!) randomly as I would play with the settings. This is mmmost suspicious!!!

paparazzi shot -

evilnormals.JPG

Besides this, I was happy to see the speed increase and the hotkeys. I am still waiting for specular-map loading to match the origin as closely as possible (if not simply exactly the same). the auto-settings always make it brighter etc. I may be a puny human -- but I know my specular map settings!
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Does rc2 help the black normalmap errors?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, Shotgun reminded me: Please let us load specmaps exactly as they are. It's a hassle to have to fiddle with the settings to get them to be as similar to the loaded file as possible.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arsh: Good call. I'll hook that up. The current build has automation for batch-creating normals & heightmaps, but the other map types are missing. I'll try to get them in 1.2, along with saving maps into a layered image.

shotgun & MightyPea: Will do! Could you send me an example specmap where the problem is particularly visible, so I can use that for tuning? Is it mostly a problem for colored specmaps, or do grayscale specmaps have trouble also?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specular map is applied in 2 instances:
    - automatically, with the opening of any hight/normal etc.
    - when i load one myself
    Whether it is colored or grey is irrelevant.

In each time the spec-settings are auto set to 50 brightness and 25 contrast. The program should simply load the origin purely (all settings at 0) and from there the user adds or subtracts.

The black spots still appear in RC2.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again! I've just thrown up RC3, in the hope of tracking down those damned spots

You should find that contrast and brightness are a bit better when you load your own specmaps now. Color still needs adjustment though. Fear not, I'll get it all straightened out for 1.1!

To diagnose the glitch, I'd like to ask a few questions about your system.

If you see the black errors, could you tell me what CPU you're using, what OS, and how much RAM you have? Maybe a pattern will emerge!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xp sp2 on intel duel cpu 3ghz, 8 gigz ram with nvidia quadro 370, directX of nov08.

RC3 didn't fix it. I noticed the black spots only occur when the settings are 1-4.
    It doesn't matter if the maps are color or grey, opaque or transparent, normals or heights. I believe it is related to input processing rather than output. It also may be related strictly to the mixer.

I noticed that when I loaded a specfile the settings were, indeed, closer to the origin. I take it it's a different calculating system altogether to have CB read the image as is and start from there (0 values), right?

I also noticed when I load a hightmap it auto snaps to the normals tab (=good), but when I load a normal it snaps me to the displacement tab (=who cares??)
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I think I've got it fixed this time: www.crazybump.com/release/CrazyBump11_RC4.exe

Please let me know if those errors persist!

Your specmaps should load correctly now, including color. I agree the scale for specmap settings should be simpler. It'll change to a percentile scale in a future update!

shotgun: I know it seems random, but there's actually a reason. CB shows displacement after opening a normal map so that you know immediately if your axis settings are correct for the loaded map. If they're wrong, you can see it in the displacement.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup! good job man :)
    I have abused the mixer as much as I could and witnessed no buggy results.

The specs do load much better, still a little brighter than the original.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also noticed when I load a hightmap it auto snaps to the normals tab (=good), but when I load a normal it snaps me to the displacement tab (=who cares??)[/quote]

I personally love that it snaps to the disp tab, because 99% of the time when i'm loading a normal, its to extra details out of it with the displacement tab. So please dont change this!