Home Technical Talk

Sewer Water

Hey guys,
Need some knowledge of the all knowing polycounters.
I have been working on an orange box mod for some time now. We have this sewer level, where the player will take a controlled ride through the sewer. The player won't have any controls but they be in the water clinging to a board as they are wisked through the sewer system.

We are getting to the stage where we need to model the water, texture it and animate some of the textures.
I have never done a winding river or anything like that before, so we are trying to figure out the best approach to this.

My initial idea is to model the water out in sections.
-It will be done in layers, so that there will be the main water layer which will have little or no animation.
-There will be an under layer that will give the impression of some depth in the water, even though it will be pretty murky and the player won't be able to seen under the water.
-The top layer will be various strategically placed planes. These individual planes would then have the 'white water' texture applied and these will be animated to simulate the moving water in the swift areas.

There a couple issues with this. The main problem is I am not sure how to animate the texture in a believable way. I looked for tuts on this but have found very little that was very useful.

Has anyone else ever done something like this and how did you do it? Am I approaching this correctly or should I try another way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am modeling in max 9