Home General Discussion

Digital SLR recommendations?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,for xmas i am planning on buying a digital SLR and i was wondering what suggestions you guys have. Ive never owned a good proper camera so i was wondering what are must have options,good brands vs shit brands .

My price range is $500-550 dollars,preferably with a lens included. Doesnt have to be the lastest and greatest mind you,older models are fine as long as the camera is good. 10-12 megapixel range.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I have a Nikon D40 I'm in love with (upgraded from a Sony H2). It's cheaper now, from $300-$500.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a built in lens motor. So if you want autofocus, you have to buy lenses that have a motor built in. The default lens has a motor, though, so it's good to start with. I have 2 lenses with motors and 1 big one without a motor. TBH, I actually enjoy shooting with the non motorized lens. Manual focus offers a lot of flexibility on the shot, and has resulted in some of my favorite pics.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm i wouldnt mind a manual focus really,motor just seems like one more part to fuck up really. So far this one is looking good too.

Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera .

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10-1MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B001CBKJGG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1228400314&sr=1-2[/ame]
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    That's another great camera you'd certainly be happy with. My friend has one and it takes great pics. Only reason I didn't go with Canon was due to Nikkor lenses being superior (imo the optics are better), and the Nikon felt a bit more rugged/sturdy than the Cannon. But it's an awesome camera regardless.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    That's another great camera you'd certainly be happy with. My friend has one and it takes great pics. Only reason I didn't go with Canon was due to Nikkor lenses being superior (imo the optics are better), and the Nikon felt a bit more rugged/sturdy than the Cannon. But it's an awesome camera regardless.

Hmm thats a good point about the sturdiness,i suppose when i go xmas shopping this weekend ill see if i can fine mt top 2 picks and pick em up and check them out.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn my post got lost cuz my internet crashed.

Anyway,

I think its good to start with a smaller camera. Get to know a SLR, because it takes some time to get it under control.
    (I have a nikon d200 + a lens thats more then your budget alone, but i cant use it like its supposed to, therefor even a small sony cybershot can get you better photos.)

I dont have much exp with manny different types of cameras, but i can tell you that nikon is great.

The d40x is the replacer of the d40, they removed some flaws from what i read.
    Its probably a good cam to start with.

"i wouldnt mind a manual focus really"
    You'll get back on this when you go to sport events ;)

oh and indeed, make a list of a couple cams you like, and go over reviews to sort out wich one you should go for. (its a real jungle)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    nikon-d601.jpg

This one looks good as well,its listed as 530 usd at amazon. It doesent seem to ave auto focus but has a new electronic rangefinder to help with non motorized lens.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    another brand worth a look is pentax. they do some fairly nice and compact SLR's which at least when i was shopping around, were considered equal, sometimes superior but with less brand coolness attached, compared to nikon and canon.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp wrote: »
    another brand worth a look is pentax. they do some fairly nice and compact SLR's which at least when i was shopping around, were considered equal, sometimes superior but with less brand coolness attached, compared to nikon and canon.

Hmm they do seem to have alot of neat features but i dont like the fact they use AA batteries but they are weather sealed and thats a plus especially in Danish winter weather.But i dont know i can see advantages in having AA batteris instead of a rechargeable built in battery like being able to find replacement batteries in in store you can imagine.Shake reduction i like. Alot of reviewers say its quite sturdy which is good for such a clumsy oaf like me.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i bought the pentax so not sure what the others are using for batteries? as long as you're not tied to yet another custom charger with any of the others, all should be good either way. :)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    You know what come to think of it AA batteries seem like a better idea,i travel often and dealing with adapter plugs is kind of a pain in the ass. Had to buy a plug just to recharge my camera while in England. Pentax is looking like another viable option.

EDIT: Silly noob questions,are lenses for each brand of camera unique or could you use a lens of a different maker on a DSR?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Different cameras have different lens mounts, although I "think" you can get adapters.

Here's a list of various lens mounts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mounts
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The battery of my d200 lasts for a couple hours when i take it for a good shoot, pretty anoying.

Nikon lenses dont fit on canon, vice versa.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Rens wrote: »
    The battery of my d200 lasts for a couple hours when i take it for a good shoot, pretty anoying.

Nikon lenses dont fit on canon, vice versa.

Average amount of pics you shoot before your battery drain? Rough estimate?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the lens i use, the amount of autofocus, and indeed the amount of pics.

The big telelens drains the battery fast when using autofocus, with this continuesly going, i can take around 300 pics. Thats being busy for 4 hours straight. ( think i once drained it in an hour, this was in france, alot of butterflies and i just kept going full throttle)

It also depends on what you photograph.
    Nature photos mostly take alot of waiting, but when you shoot, you easily take 25 shots a minute. because you can.. and the more the better. You'll always end up with some unsharp ones, or things that you just have to keep clicking because you only have a few seconds to get it.

Going wild means out of juice soon, but taking it to the zoo or just going out and grab some shots wont even drain half of it.

The battery on the d200 lasts alot less then manny other cams from nikon, so no worries about that.

also buying a second battery for when you know youll go out and use it like you should, aint a bad idea, things dont cost that much, and this way you dont have to worry about wasting your battery.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thats good,i can imagine while on vacation i would need replacements but anything else it would be ok.

Do the betteries drain if camera is off?

Also saw your website,nice aminal pics ;)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Getting a digital SLR is on the top of my shopping list now that I've gotten the Cintiq out of the way. Its good to hear the camera I was looking at getting is the highly recommended one (Nikon D40).
    Sweet thread, JO420 :D

-caseyjones
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ill be honost im leading towards a pentax. I like the fact its made of stainless steel. The battery issue could be annoying but the pros outweigh the cons. Reviews for the d200 seem overwhelmingly well.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks JO :)

all of those photos can still be pimped up a bit.

its funny that nikon says "stunning photography is just a step away"
    i mean, its the shit! but getting good resolds aint as easy as it sounds :S
    (or i just suck, i know a photographer around here who has alot of canon pro stuff, hope to try that out sometime soon. see if im fucking up or that it is the equipment)

if you guys go for a d40, consider putting in abit mo money and get a d60, d90.
    i wanted a good cam, and if i allready spended like 700, why not put in 300 more and buy a big fella.

"I like the fact its made of stainless steel"
    i dont think this matters that much, if you drop it, its fucked. only thing this will give you is more weight to carry, and walking hours with it aint fun.

oh and if you turn it off, it always stays on in some way, but no it hardly drains, can keep it off for a month and hardly anything happens.
    one more thing, AA batteries is not an option with a SLR.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I bought the D60 and the 200mm lens. Top buy.

I bought an extra battery for it too, but so far I've never needed to swap it when out.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens wrote: »
    if you guys go for a d40, consider putting in abit mo money and get a d60, d90.
    i wanted a good cam, and if i allready spended like 700, why not put in 300 more and buy a big fella.
    That's the problem I'm facing at the moment, because I'm not some pro ass photographer that will go around and take photographs all of the time. Its just something I want to have so I can start up a solid photograph reference guide, as well as just take nice photographs from time to time.
    I've always settled for a point and click camera, but a lot of the time it doesn't give me the result I'm after. I've used a digital SLR a few times (lower end ones) and just really like the feel of it and the results I get.
    Because I won't be using it every waking second, I don't really know if I should be investing in a D60 or D90. But I also don't want to regret not getting to higher end after a few months because I am using it more and would have liked those extra features.
    I think some more research is in order :P

-caseyjones
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    check out http://www.cameralabs.com

Great reviews and examples of photos taken with the different models. Nikon, Canon and Olympus have creat SLR cameras. Is very difficult to recommend one model and one brand, all depends on your budget and the affordable models for it.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    check out http://www.cameralabs.com

Great reviews and examples of photos taken with the different models. Nikon, Canon and Olympus have creat SLR cameras. Is very difficult to recommend one model and one brand, all depends on your budget and the affordable models for it.

excelente y gracias great site! It will be useful in picking one over the weekend. I have to wait 3-4 days while my wire transfer goes through to my US bank account so this site will be useful in my desicion process. It looks like its a good time to buy too due to the crap economy,in the last few days ive seen the cameras i was looking at drop in price. Pentax d200 is already below the $500 mark. Maybe by monday or Tuesday it shall be less.

Also,memory cards,all the same or are there differences in quality?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cards can work at different speeds. you have highspeed performance cards that process photos a bit faster alowing you to do sick bursts.

And also the quality between cards from an A brand to b, c
    I use a scandisk extreme IV, 2GB card, around 60 bucks at the time i bought it.
    leaves me room for 335 big/fine .jpg photos (3,5mb each)
    or around 80 RAW, non compressed photos, (around 35mb each i think)

Its even better to go for a 4GB because you will run out fast if you shoot RAW, even 335 is not that much when you do a bit of shooting.

Dont save money on this, just get a good quality card.

What also is nice to get is a protection disk for your lens, its a glasscover you screw on (instead of a filter, its a clear disk).
    If anything gets on the lens, or you managed to scrach it, you dont have to worry about it, plus you can take it off and clean it properly. These things are ... 10 / 20 bucks.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm well for some odd reason my wire xfer went through fast today and i ordered my camera...

and i went with the...

545.jpg

Thanks alot for all of the helpful suggestions guys.

Cheers
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gratz man
    I have never heard of pentax, so im pretty curious what you think of it.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one, dawg. Be sure to pimp some photos and let us know how you go with the camera.
    Rens, Pentax seems to be a very well known brand here in Australia (I'm not sure what its like in other countries), so I'm a little surprised you've never heard of it.

-caseyjones
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, i think i should come out of my cave a bit more often ;)

its probably a pretty common name overhere aswell,
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Cool. I just 2 minutes ago bought me a Canon XT with a 28-90mm lens. New camera high five!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y'all better be on flickr, stat!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Just read on the internets that consumer reports picked the Pentax K200d as best value for its price range which is good to know,now onto the lens.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=29880125

A shame i have to wait until the 20th of December to pick up my camera when i visit my family in America,internet was supposed to be for the impaitient ;) But i guess that gives me time to learn more about the basics to photography.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D60 heads up - $200 off for you merkins

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588821-REG/Nikon__D60_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

(I have the D60 and I love it to bits).
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420:
    Do youself a favor and pick up this lens.
    I've got a Pentax *istDS and love it- super tiny, especially with the pentax pancake lenses. The above lens is a great complement to the kit lens, and the DOF and low light shooting is awesome. It's a fixed lens (no zoom) but 50mm is good for most portrait stuff, and it'll force you to move around for your framing.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    JO420:
    Do youself a favor and pick up this lens.
    I've got a Pentax *istDS and love it- super tiny, especially with the pentax pancake lenses. The above lens is a great complement to the kit lens, and the DOF and low light shooting is awesome. It's a fixed lens (no zoom) but 50mm is good for most portrait stuff, and it'll force you to move around for your framing.

Thats exactly the lens i purchased,takes really nice/crisp pics.

So far i have had the camera in hand for 2 days and im reading the manual and experimenting with the camera.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    3126505018_93669e3344_b.jpg

The very first pic i took with my new camera of a glass stature at my parents home.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17