Oh no you di-ent

curious about feedback:

(quicktimes are about 7mb each)
spin_th.jpg spin_wire_th.jpg

screen_01.jpg
screen_02.jpg
screen_03.jpg
props.jpg

Never took the Digital Extremes art test, but that's the fire hydrant based upon
what others posted here awhile ago (and my own texture interpretation,
since I never saw the resource material either)...

These are DX9 realtime captures from XSI (thanks to cryrid's shader setup),
but I unfortunately don't know how to program realtime shadows so they
aren't on the spin (will this be a big detriment?). :(

Polycount on the character comes in at 14030 triangles with 2 sets of Diffuse,
Normal, and Specular maps (1 set for her clothes/accessories, 1 set for body).

Love to hear how I can improve this as she'll be going on the portfolio to
land a full-time position.

:)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looking great!
    Care to show the face a little bit better? ATM its either way small, or covered with wireframe.

As for presentation - with the current pictures and videos you have you clearly show that your model is realtime-friendly and behaves well. Yuo could totally make a more advanced render now (even if not realtime) trying to replicate current game techniques. I'm not saying go with crazy mental ray setups and whatnot - more like looking at GTA or Assassin's Creed captures, and try to replicate that on your piece through rendering, photoshop effects aso. She would look great with a San Andreas kind of sunset for instance.

Also I think the pose still needs work (go for a slutty contra-posa weight balance!) but that's the easy part.

G'luck!
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is lol awesome. The only thing i would say you need to improve would be your poly distribution. You got edges in the legs that seem to be doing your sillouhete no purpose. You could probably bring your character down to 8-10K range just by cleaning up the model. Good work man!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    This made me LOL
    I can't help but imagine that a body connected to that chubby face would be a bit larger, with more jiggly arm fat and a HUGE ass and thunder thighs. I know you made an effort to make her larger than normal but I think you could go even more.
    Stop sign could use some dirtying up on the white parts, and the pavement could use a divider line with maybe some dirty old strands of grass/weeds sticking out. Also make the pavement have dirty old black gum spots.
    Other than that, looks great! Really nice job. :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    That pose made me Lol.
    Dont know if it should be there, tbh, who is she showing her hand to? A simple pose such as one suggested by pior would fit better.
    Also, im having a problem with the relative scale of the entire scene. That stop sign is wayy too big and i think the hydrant could use some negative scaling aswell. Or, you could simply scale the sister up.
    And yes, you are wasting alot of polygons in different places which, if reduced, would definitely bring her to the 10k range.THis is game art where you probably have to answer for every extra detail you put into the model. If its not contibuting to the silhoutte or isnt helping the deformations, chances are the geometry shouldnt be there at all.
    Most places were you could easily bank on polys is the breast area, the legs(the vertical loops) and somewhat on the belly/arm area. On the legs, if your concern was to have the same number of edges running down from the torso, think agian.Remember, this is where triangles come in handy.Or better yet, the U- termination would fit ok i believe.
    How many sided arms are those? though its getting more and more vague on how many sides are optimal, i think having like 10-12 sides is more than enough. I always prefer to add loops "around" the arms as those are more effective in adding to the silhouette and the joint deformation issues. You could probably add a loop for the shoulder.

Looks great :D
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha is it bad that this reminds me of where i used to live? except as i remember there were three of them and one had no pants
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    WOOG, didya have to give us all the visual!! :P

Love the scene, fucking awesome pose and nice clean looking texture work. I lulzed so hard when I saw it. A winner for your portfolio for sure.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    looks like there's also a little color variation on 'her right shoulder' where the seam probably is, one poly is darker near her neck then where her arm starts.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Heh, the environment and the girl kind of gives me mixed signals.

But though the character looks good, the pavement seems more like complete stucco, prolly dirty it up like them pueblo neighborhoods would do the trick.

Some unattended growth on the sidewalks and cracks would help too.

I like it.
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a ton for the crits!...based on yer feedback I've totally re-done the body
    topology and am still dialing in the textures accordingly:

new-body-topo_th.jpg

shaved off 3K triangles in the process (woot!)

as an aside, butt_sahib, I checked the proportions on everything and I'm 4" off
    total sign width (regulation stopsigns are 30" across at square edges) and 6" too
    low where the sign should be in vertical height (regulation is 7 feet from ground)...
    hydrant is 31" and the character stands in at 5'8" in her heels. I've since fixed
    the height from ground, but I've left the sign 4" too small. Maybe the curb height
    is buggin the overall, but it's at 11" currently. <shrugs>

Anyhow, I'll add some of the other stuff you guys suggested and post up when
    done.

Thanks again for the kind werds and crits, gents. :)
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final version of this chica is up here (added scene elements and finalized
    character's polys/textures/whatnot):

Holla_model-sheet1_th.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Man, this turned out great. Made me laugh too when I read the title. It's always cool to see the more realistic proportions and body shapes verses the barbie girl models that are so popular these days.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I think that base is way to big for her to be standing one. It, in a way, makes the woman isolated. Would have tightened it up some more.

The character looks good though.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah scale that base about a quarter and give it a quick texture pass to add a little more grime, also spend a couple more polys on it, it just looks a little bare in comparison to the charcter, id be tempted to model some cracked edges and a little slab wonkyness
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    I have always, *ALWAYS* wanted to do a sista and it's almost like you reached into my personal "to model" list, ripped her out, and put her into yours! Of course, I know this is hardly the case :P

I like the fact that you chose her to be a bigger woman, and to do her in a more realistic style. The pose and expression work well but I think they can be pushed a little more. I'd love to see her really pushing her hand into someone's face, really extend it out. And twist her body away some more in the opposite direction. If you have time to spare, add big hoop earrings , some beads in her braids, and those long ass, hooked fake nails with cheesy glue-on diamonds.

"Oh yes, Ah di-id!"
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff, really like the girl, i am not sure the background helps her that much though, perhaps some more lighting and shadows in the final peice perhaps on a dark street corner? So as she is emphasised and the background not so visable or looked at, she has bags of character and ti would be really nice to see her get all the attention.

tim