Home Technical Talk

MD3 Exporter for 3ds Max 2009

I have recompiled an old version of ExportMD3 with Max 2009's SDK for those of you who are using 3ds Max 2009.

It's a really old version - apparently from 1999, judging by a quick look at the source.

Sometimes when you export, it'll warn "there is not a one-to-one correspondence between texture verts and actual verts"... I don't know whether this screws up stuff big time or not, but from a quick export (complete with animation generated by baking some procedural stuff into keyframes), it appears fine in-game.

If anyone wants to submit the latest version of the source code to me, I'd be glad to accept it and recompile it with Max 2009's SDK.

Download link: http://nash.wanzafran.com/ExportMD3-max2009.zip

Don't contact me about bugs or anything - I didn't write this, and I know nothing about programming. I just know how to compile stuff.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There shouldn't ever really be a correspondance between texture verts and actual verts if your model is UV-mapped correctly, I don't know why that should even be a warning!
    Thanks for recompiling though.
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right. :P

According to a readme in a much later version of the plugin which was updated by a certail "TiCal" (which was compiled in 2003), he removed the warning. This is the verison before Chris Cookson took over.

Test export with a properly-mapped model, and also a box, with newer versions of the plugin reported no complaints. Using the same model and exporting it with the plugin I uploaded, however, spews out that warning. As I've said, in-game tests look okay but if anyone out there finds any other errors, do post them here. Not that I can do anything about since I didn't make this thing, but it'd be good to know.

Anyway, I hope this compile is of use to those game artists out there who're basically screwed in the ass because they can't find suitable MD3 exporters for their version of Max. According to the SDK, this compile should also work with Max 2008.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure there's an MD3 Exporter script floating around online somewhere. AFAIK it works with Max 2008, since maxscript tends to be way more portable than plugins.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    I've got a version that ran on Max4.2 & 5 and a later one for Max6, everything else after that seemed a bit hit and miss from what I've seen. Looks like you might have recomplied the ealier version?
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been a fan of your page for quite a while kat. :D I downloaded the plugin for Max 8 from your site.

Anyway - yes, as I've said... the source is indeed from 1999. I am guessing this was even before TiCal or Chris Cookson ever touched the code.

What do you mean by "hit and miss"? The Max 6 version works with 6, 7 and 8. I've been using it a lot with 8 so I speak from experience.

I've never used 9 or 2008 before, so I don't know about those. However, according to Max 2009 SDK's docs, my compile should work with 2008.

What would be awesome is if I can get my hands on the source of the last version that Chris Cookson worked on. But he seems to have disappeared from the internet.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Oh that's interesting... I can only put the "hit and miss" statement down to "pilot error"!. I don't use Max myself but have often got feedback from users saying the scripts aren't/don't work properly sometimes.. I can only conclude from that that they're not being installed correctly?

And yes, no idea what happened to Messrs Cookson either, he dropped off the net about the time Discreet dropped support for GMax (which is still a shame).
  • akram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It works on a 3ds max 2009 64 bits version? I have tried it but max show me an error with a 32bits incompatibility.

Could you compile a 64 bits version pls?
  • Nash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi akram - I have never compiled 64 bit programs before. I am on Vista 32 so that makes me even less inclined to learn how.

I'm going to have to recompile anyway because someone requested that the plugin be changed to output "Frame**" frame names instead of "from 3DSMax" (which is what it's doing right now)... maybe if I have extra time, I'll read up on what it takes to compile 64 bit stuff. I won't make any promises though.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    There shouldn't ever really be a correspondance between texture verts and actual verts if your model is UV-mapped correctly, I don't know why that should even be a warning!
    Thanks for recompiling though.

You can understand more by reading "Understanding Texture Coordinates and Vertex Colors" in the MAXScript help.