Home Contests & Challenges Archives

LPC: Time 2 Die - Guriamo

Guriamo
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Guriamo polycounter lvl 17
since i am on holiday, i thaught i might be fun to this challenge...

at least as far as my crap computer at home will allow it :) ... (laptop that will cause maya to drop to below 5fps (even with just a cube displayed) after 5mins of working)

well heres my start, plus 2 of my refpics that should line out a bit of the mood im going for...

644c5b28ce.jpg

the basic idea a safe-room installed by someone in the sewers ... well i'll build up upn that hopefully. The block in the middle should represent the player, so its not really a big hall...

the shell of the room should be finished tomorrow then i'll start texturing the base room and adding detail as i go along...

Replies

• Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some progress...

started texturing and placing some detail props..

also added some basic lighting using vertex colors i hope the screengrabs are not too dark, but on my laptop screen its very dark but its a crap screen anyway... i am at half the texture budget now but i am still useing 2 variants for the stone texture (bottom and top tile) which i can remove if necesary...

40833c3cdc.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    great looking work!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. Looks great so far.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    love the environment! the lighting and texture work is superb!
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments!

... some more progress. added the stairs and some lights to the lower area. also added the water surface (the partunderneath the water surface is too dark, so the water seems not as transparent as it should be also i am not really happy with the texture yet)

also added some props (first aid boxes, trashcan (will add fire later), signs ...

e4df3ae368.jpg

i am still way under poly budget (1500) and 2 x 128x128 to use, so i have some room there for detailing.... i'll add a fridge with food next to the generator, and some bottles beer and water (texture already done)...also there will be gates at the doorways leading i the room as well as a grid on the ceiling with a night sky showing..

if i have the time (and nerves with this comp) i ll probably do a zombie / surviver but thats not high priority atm...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    lovely - a realy kick back to the first Quake.
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actualy i never thaught about Quake1 but yes, the brownish textures might give the impression :)

a bit more work...

done a bit about the lighting added some bottles and shotgun shell boxes.... a cheap skydome (which isnt really visible)

cc0a5de4f7.jpg

to do:

get a better computer at home (note the fps counter :) )

some destructed parts of the walls in the lower area, with stones lying in the water, maybe some junk lying around to make the scene more messy... (with halfthe trisstill to spend it should be possible)

add a shotgun lying on the bed

add a bit of smoke to the generator and connect the lamps, fridge etc with cables to it.

still 1 1/2 texture sheets left, so i'll try to add some bloodstains and grunge to the floor...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2fps? Are you running this on a 386 for authenticity's sake? :D

I really like the atmosphere and textures!
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, actually itruns fine when i start maya up but after some minutes it drops to around 5fps, thats really annoying.. i have to plan every step i do in maya in advance so i can make use of the fluent viewport :( plus i get some occasional bluescreens every now and then.

i think all of that combined maked it even more a challenge :)
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Looks awesome, your textures are great. I know you said your not happy with the water texture but are you going to make it transparent? I think that'd help a fair bit, looks like its solid at the moment.
    Edit: Think I might be mistaken, I'm talking about the green stuff, not the blue stuff :P, is that meant to be sewage water?
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually it is transparent but thefloor underneath is too dark, its just ankle deep so there isnt much of a effect there .... and its less transparent where the light hits the water surface....

maybe it will look better when i add some more details in that area..maybe coloring the water a bit differently yes it should be a brownish greenish dirty sewer water...
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    concentrated a bit more on the lower area... added some dirt decals (on the pic before the last one it needs more alpha applied, maybe ill remove it from there)... also added some props like the guns...

eb3d823327.jpg

still need to find a good solution to light the big wall next to the water area, i dont want to put more light bulbs in...

tri count is at 4000 now.... will start on a zombie for the environment tomorrow..

edit:

oh and forget about the glows in the 2nd pic, i forgot to connect the transparent channel before taking screen grabs)

and the wrong aligned texture on the medipacks are fixed already :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    favourite so far, dude. : ) Keep goin keep goin!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    very cool man, nice seeing some stuff from you again.
    one or two cooler tones in lighting would help to make it even more pop.

keep it up !
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started on the zombie... its a quite generic one to make it easier copying it...

at least i remember now why i dont like doing character stuff, i should've teamed up :)

4e6b03421a.jpg

anyway, texture to come soon
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick texture for the zombie (not really that great) .... need to make some more poses. i'm planning to have the zombies come in where the gate is broken in the water, maybe 5 or 6 zombies... but dont know if i got the time for a survivor...well maybe hes our on foraging food or something :)

9736773c9e.jpg
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more work done on the zombie texture, added more posed zombies and a alternate texture for them...

also added some details in dferent areas and a fake abient occlusion in the corners

43bd18a5c9.jpg

... almost done :) environment at 4500 tris now, zombie is at 830 i can cut a bit there tho...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looking good man!
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woow very nice man really! I love the watertexture.
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks :) the water really benefited from the brighter floor underneath and more transparency...

i fiished the survivor yesterday (well, modified the zombie model :P ) will UV and texture it today...
    use the same primitive rig topose it in a nice action pose and finish off this piece tomorrow... i still have 1/4 texture space left for the environment, maybe ill do some magazines on it, but ill have to see
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update... survivor textured and posed... i probably put too much uv space on the face tho :P

fd4028be8a.jpg

will wrap it all up tomorrow...
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Everything looks excellent! you definitely have my vote with the current project! :D

question, how did you do the lights? vertex colours? if so, then how did you do it? Ive read someplace that for accurate vertex colors, people add in extra geometry,etc and then cut the count down again.
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i ll probably re uv the survivor again to get more resolution out of the body parts...

its all vertex lit, most alpha parts were done using vertex alpha.usually i am used to use turtle to bake vertex colors.... but since i dont have that at home i just did a fast light setup then using the prelight function in maya and do the rest by hand assigning different colors to certain verteces....

when i post my wires you'll notice that i have some cross cuts were light sources are. on such a small scale its the easiest way. also i did set the objects to modulate2 to have it look more as they were in an actual engine :)
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reposting final pics in here too:

beauty shot 1:

4fec5faed6.jpg

beauty shot 2:

8e08727481.jpg

construction shot 1:

a569f2831e.jpg

construction shot 2:

94cd7b04f6.jpg

props laid out:

90f4a46865.jpg

character sheet:

75666d001a.jpg

textures (environment & characters):

13ccc07288.jpg

additional overview shots:

be2163bef0.jpg

the characters are bit over budget, but the main focus for me was the environment, i could ve stripped them down to 800 or less but i just realised doing that after i finished the pics :)...