Home Technical Talk

Maya 2008 graphical problems - 'Little Help!'

Hello,

I'm frequently encountering graphical problems with Maya 2008.
In the UV editor window it often displays a white screen instead of the texture rendering it useless!:poly118:

UvMemoryError.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems?

I'm using a nVidia GeForce 7800 GT with a dual monitor setup.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks.

Replies

• arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    the little picture of the guys face, click that
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Never had any such problems.
    Does your perspective view also turn blue or is it just the UV-editor?
    Check your Window>Settings Preferences>Color Settings
    Maybe try resetting them.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There's all sorts of graphical bugs with GL views in Maya on consumer NVidia cards.
    I've never seen that specific one, but frequently Maya will either stop redrawing views correctly (fixed by hitting space twice to toggle view) or it will draw views in the wrong place (I've sometimes had the UV view drawing in the command line, wtf).
    Try tweaking the "per application" settings in NVidia drivers. Single Display performance mode seems to help for some issues (although of course this means you can't have GL views on your 2nd monitor), and "threaded acceleration" turned off also seems to help with no noticeable downsides.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon: Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunatley it isn't that.:poly134:

MoP: I used to get those bugs on Maya 6/7, but they aren't as frequent on 2008. I'll try out some of the suggestions you made, see if that helps. Thanks:)

The problem that I mentioned can sometimes be restored by shutting down Maya and restarting, but as you can imagine this is highly annoying and doesn't always work. But it gets me thinking that it might be some sort of memory issue.

I also have problems with the centre of the transform tool dissapering so you can only move it in the X and Y directions seperately, not at the same time! also, the "high quality" render mode, for a object with Colour/spec/normal maps on it will only display the spec/normal maps in 'high' mode while it shows the colour in 'normal' mode.

Very frustrating.:poly127:
    Anyway, thanks all for the help.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Conclusion: Maya's OpenGL views are possibly the least stable and reliable viewports of any major 3D application.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    try selecting another texture input, like specular to see if it refresh or something. So strange, i´ve never had this problem before.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    My friend was having this exact problem at work, like Mop said it's a buggy gl view with a consumer card. Try different drivers is your only hope, I think this problem may also have something to do with running low on ram.