Home Contests & Challenges Archives

LPC: Time 2 Die - WhiteEagle

Hey all! Zombies! Couldn't resist! :D

Here's a rough concept.
concept_low.jpg

A few hours work today. Sitting about 40 tri's over the polygon limit of 800 at the moment, so I've got some optimizing to do...
zombie_wip_01.jpg

Replies

• Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice but I personally don't think this fits in the L4D universe. The monster is a bit too weird with the tentacles and the squid thing over the head. The zombies/bosses are still humans but a bit deformed.
  • ah_lex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is fitting into the L4D style important? I was thinking something a bit more historical for mine...
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    To save tris...
    Maybe u could have "it" walk with the two main pod tentacles instead and delete the human legs altogether ( stumped at the hips )
    That would zombify the human a bit more as well? And reinforce the squid's control. "valve universe" at least ( human mind control creature ) if not L4D.
    As is... the tentacles aren't reading as such. so u might have to go back well into 800 tris even if u do delete the human legs?

Also you seem to have a third tentacle going through the human body that doesn't seem to have an origin?

Why the robes? is he/she a Zombie cleric sacrifice?
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments/crits and suggestions guys, here's a belated update:

zombie_wip_02.jpg

Regarding the concept, I was going for something pretty weird that would probably not have a simple explanation for how it came to be. Something that would probably make a survivor think "What the fuck?!" before "How do we kill it?". Maybe it's a mutation involving a Geisha and octopus in a sushi restaurant?

Colours are still very experimental at this stage and no blood has been added yet (but there will be buckets of it!). :D I doubt I'll have a submission by the deadline, but it's been fun as always. Thanks!

(Also, it has a tanto in it's left hand, a bit hard to see in that screengrab.)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Is that a render? if so, you really should just work with screenshots of the Max UI as it closely resemebles what a model will look like in-game and you dont have any fancy filters/effects working their magic. Plus i think she will look alot better that way :) Or you could render it with the catmul-roll filter (had to say it before japhir did )
    Also, dont use that dark a background.We cant really tell whats happening. Use a brighter more contrasting bg so the details POP (a grey sounds fab)

As far as the model is concerned, i really like the texture you have on the grey organic bits (the female self) but your missing something with the tenticles. They dont have any form and nor are they leading up to it. they look like simple blobs of colour. You still have some time, so i say re-do the tenticle textures. Start with a big soft brush and work out the form and hwo everythign should be before going in defining areas and adding contrats/variation.

The model looks great.GOGOGO (as modeling_man says)
    Good job on broadning the term "zombie" i guess :)
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would definitely make me say "what the fuck" if I woke up to that! Excellent zombie, excellent uv usage too!:)