Home Technical Talk

A style question

Hey, I'm new here and I was working on the planning stage of my revamped demo reel. I had a question though regarding style...if I were to do an environment in a cartoony style like Sam and Max or Penny Arcade, would that catch a dev company's eye? My only worry is that it doesn't show alot of advanced next gen texturing, so I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea before I go full bore into it.

Here's some screenies for examples

Penny Arcade #1
Penny Arcade #2
Sam and Max #1
Sam and Max #2
Sam and Max #3

Thanks alot for your help/replies.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on what kind of work you want to do, and where you want to work. Best reel is one where the artist is showing work they love to do, items in their own style, and well produced.

If you don't have a clear style, then target the game company you most want to work at, or the style of game art you most want to create, and go for that.

I would try to stay clear of the Sam & Max look, the enviros are not very stylish nor do they really stand out. If you want to do a cartoony look, go for something with more style like Prince of Persia (cartoony-real current-gen), or Banjo-Kazooie (cartoony with pixelshaders), or World of Warcraft (painted cartoony).