786 tris with a 512*512 colour texture.

Goat_col.jpg

Goat_tex.jpg

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow that looks great! maybe a bit flat for diffuse only (mainly in the neck/under the chin) but it rocks none the less.
    moar!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    with the sturcture of the face i think you could get away with making this into a lion also just need to get rid of the horns :P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Japhir wrote: »
    wow that looks great! maybe a bit flat for diffuse only (mainly in the neck/under the chin) but it rocks none the less.
    moar!

you seeing something im not i see no neck?

great little bust
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one, I'd like to see the horns more "attached" to the head, they lack a certain grounding now.
  • DrillerKiller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrillerKiller polycounter lvl 11
    nice shapes, really digging your stuff, keep it up!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    You should post a tutorial on how you achieve your textures, the fleshy part in particular.

really diggin this bust.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    yes to monocle! I think the guy could stand to use a few more of those alpha planes to give him a more furry look but Im loving it man!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I love the monocle, and the fur is great.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    I have suggestion about the beard hairs, if you zoom out your camera, colors of hairs will blending to one shade of gray. So maybe a little stronger with each hairs?
    And there are no shading on beard. Maybe a little painted specular too?

Anyway, head is realy cool:) Have fun with progress!
    cheers!
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO, DrillerKiller, Daaark : Thanks.

Japhir: Hey Thanks Japhir. I'm either going to render out a simple ambient occlusion map to combine with my colour for this, or simply go in and hand paint some shadow in.

ae.:hmmm, could do that, remove the horns and try out a new texture for another character.:)

StJoris : Looking at it again I would agree with you. I'll do something about this.

seforin: Thanks. I originally tried this out. It didn't look good. But I've seen others do it really well so going to go back to this.

Levus: Yep, totally agree. Going to return to this now and add some variation. Thanks.

Indecom: Hey Indecom, I don't always save my work in progress PSD's, but luckly I did for this one. Here they are....

Goaty_Stages.jpg

1.Uv layout.

2.Blocking out shapes.

3.More blocking adding tone.

4.Experimenting with overlays for skin texture.

5. Refining hair and monocle.

6. Final version.

A minor tip, and something that I do that I find quite useful for isolating the various uv shells for quick selection is to draw round them with paths...

Goaty_PathsTut.jpg

As I sometimes change Uv layouts as I work, I find this method really useful, and flexible.

Apologies if this is a well known working method, just thought I'd share the tip!:\
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    cool! oh, and about the path trick, you should definitely try psd path unwrapper. you can't select off of it, but it is damn usefull. check my tutorial to see where to get it and how to use it.
    i love your style man!
  • Walruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, I pretty much like your skinning style. I'd hope to see it with body I imagine it with a wiseman tunic with some short of accessorys around like feathers and or small skulls... However I have a (stupid?) question, you're using a digital pen for skinning aren't you?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    nice tip on the paths- def going to use that
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    i love your freaking textures!
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam: Thanks.

konstruct: Yeah, I find it quite handy.

Japhir: Thanks. Very useful. Those videos are cool, it is interesting to see how you work. The script looks good but unfortunatly I'm mostly a Maya user. BAH!:poly006:

Walruz: Yep, I'm using an A6 Intuos3 Wacom.