Home Technical Talk

Question about my unwrapping

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Billabong polycounter lvl 15
hey guys,

I am unwrapping a vehicle at the moment and I had a question about my unwrapping process. If you look at the highlighted object you'll notice that its stretching in some place and I think the reason it is, is becuase I am attaching the corners of the uv map. Is this wrong? If so, then how do I keep my textures from not aligning and not looking broken at the edges?

Thanks so much as always for the help you guys have given me so far.

stretching.jpg

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, anytime you try to keep a shape like that (2 tris NOT square) connected it's gonna distort some.

It really depends. How much/what detail is gonna be there. If you have things like buttons that have a very precise shapre (circle or square) then it's gonna be hard to make them look good.

But if it's gonna be generic (just plain metal or plastic) then it probably wont be really noticable.

Also, it's in a spot that probably wont be seen much. Either from inside or outside the vehicle so I personaly wouldn't worry too much about it. Not worth a major waste of time to fix, not really worth extra seams either (unless it's a console with buttons).
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Baddcog,

Thanks for helping. I dont understand what you mean 2 Tri's. All my uv's are 4 sided.

Lets say for instance this was going to be detailed and viewed close up, Would I just detach the corners and not have any of the sides connecting?

Thanks so much the help

edit, I didn't see the two tris at the bottom, sorry, but I am mainly concerned about the two extrusions on top

-B
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    This dilemma is always going to present itself when your unwrapping.Mapping a 3d object to a 2d space is always going to cause probelms. Its generally:-
    a) Either have extra seams but have least stretching
    b) OR have least seams and have extra stretching.

You really have to strike a balance at what YOU think is required. What baddcog meant was that as this might not be viewed SO closely, its better to not have some seams but some stretching is tolerable (as seams break the model up.i read a tutorial about this once but cant remember where).
    generally, having less seams is better as it might end up being too obvious if there were too many seams.Plus, dxshaders supporting normals really make the seams pop.

So basically,to your question :-
    "Is this wrong? If so, then how do I keep my textures from not aligning and not looking broken at the edges?"
    Is it wrong, no. But you cant have BOTH things mentioned later in the sentence.
    And
    "Lets say for instance this was going to be detailed and viewed close up, Would I just detach the corners and not have any of the sides connecting?"
    Basically,yes.

To my limited knowledge ofcourse :) DOWN WITH SIDE-SCROLL BAR. please take care next time you post an image :)
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    yes... even the best planned unwraps can go wrong... like some doofus showing the part of the mesh in the game you used to hide all the stretching and seaming... and that you told him not to use. :P

Take a tissuebox for example, you need to cut the box apart so that the entire thing lays completely flat, those boxy objects you have in the middle are always going to have stretching because you're trying to put the vertical planes in with the horizontal ones. I'd actually seam all the way around the boxes and lay them flat elsewhere on the uv layout. You're basically trying to lay a flat piece of paper on top of a whole box without unfolding it at all, it's going to bend/stretch.
  • Billabong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys thanks you so much for the help and now I understand. So thank you again

I apologize for such a large image butt_sahib, I'll try to avoid the bottom scroll bar next time

-B