Home Technical Talk

Zbrush not saving/crashing during save

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Just lost about 4 hours work after Zbrush decided to crash during saving. This was made even worse by the fact that it looks like all of the saves I've made since I started today using Ctrl-S haven't worked, so I'm back where I started. What. The. Hell.

I don't suppose ZBrush does automatic backing up, so is there anything people can reccomend to avoid this happening in future besides making incremental saves and praying that they don't crash the software?

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I ran into this problem quite a bit and wanted to pull my hair out. The fix (or at least for me) was so easy I wanted to scream. Instead of hitting Ctrl+s hit the [Save Tool] button on the tool menu to save. In my case, this seriously cut down on crashes by about 95%. I've completed entire pieces with no crashes whereas before I was saving every two minutes and crossing my fingers.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I find that saving ztools safely is a lot easier if you take the subdivision level back down to 1/its lowest level. Less information to process, so less time for it to crash.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This happens to me a couple times a week.

I think the heavyer the tool is, the more often it can crashes. (my pc aint that new)
    What i do is have a backup on wich i save every 30 min, and save every 10 min on my working file to prevent major setbacks.

Zoom out, no masks, not too many subtools showing, should make it easier to save.

Zb also tends to crash when i use a mask on a high sublevel, or trying to fade it out makes it crash...

I dont know if there is a plugin for zb that makes autobackups?

For now, from what i know, theres no cure for crashing.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I always go down to lvl1 before saving. Also use Svengali`s script from ZBC which allows incremental savings mapped to CTRL+S, quite handy.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Download the Subtool Master plugin if you don't already have it.
    For some reason CTRL-S is a bit flaky depending on how you have your model set up. According to the Subtool Master documentation, if you have hidden polys on your main tool, or hidden subtools, then CTRL-S can be dodgy. They recommend un-hiding EVERYTHING before hitting save. I think the plugin also warns you about this on save, and has a better function for quick-saving.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Grabbing the incremental save deally. Thanks for that.

Thing is, I'm not working with a mesh that's particularly dense. It's only about 200k polys with no subtools yet. Anyway. If I can save incrementally, it shouldn't be such an issue.

Cheers.