Home General Discussion

how much should i charge for art work?

EggE
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
EggE polycounter lvl 11
i wish, i wish there was a website that broke down price quotes for 2d ,3d animations, digital drawings, 3d conceptual renders, after effects animations, 3d models, texture work, lighting ext... if anyone knows of any sites please fill me in...

what question i need answered now...I'm making a after effects animation...approx 10 seconds long with a 3d modeled logo, obviously im not a professional but i want to know what is the standard...

Replies

• IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Charge way to much and drink.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    from my exp in freelance, do not sell yourself too short. You want to work for a good wage, that makes you want to work, and that the client will happily pay. I worked for about 15-20 bucks an hour, so make your decisions upon that. I would say, figure out your workflow, and give yourself a timeline, and see how much you would end up making and go with that. Hope this helped.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    i drink too much as is,lol...i work full time @ a dance club...i want to give my client a decent quote though
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    You didnt give enough info, and even then, what might take me 1 hour might take you 5. Guesstimate how many hours it will take you, and give yourself an hourly wage you feel is fair. Since you seem to be very new to this, lets say 20 (which is extremely low for freelance, but youre just starting off, so undercut the competition till you're better).
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    this project will lead to others in the future so, starting off with a low wage is a sacrifice i can make for now. thanx ppl
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Don't sacrifice to much man. Don't lowball to get work. Your just going to shoot yourself in the foot in the long run. Make sure to research this more then a single post on PC.

Good luck.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    well, that's true, it was just my opinion, but it doesn't sound like a really big job to me, so you really don't have to take those sorts of things toooo seriously making sure that you squieeze every last dollar out of it. You kind of gradually get a feel for what people will pay. Thats how it was for me anyways. Sometimes I went too high and wouldnt hear back. Sometimes I lowballed too much. All learning experiences.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    yea it isnt a huge job, i'll explain exactly what is in the animation if you guys want to know...in the background is a particle animation that animates to music with the plugin for after effects called particular, then i have animating text that says (Diesel Club Lounge Events) and on the top is the clubs logo modeled in 3d and rotating.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do yourself a favor and get this book. Covers so many of the things a first-timer needs to know: to avoid getting screwed, to get paid a decent fee, to get more work, etc.

Graphic Artists Guild Handbook:
    Pricing & Ethical Guidelines