Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flamethrower - FumeFX

i used 3da max 2k9 w/ FumeFX plugin and a superspray, rendered w/ Vray 1.5 sp2 i only rendered 280/400 frams, more to come (render took WAY too long =S)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5xu55peQ_o&amp;fmt=18[/ame] <youtube

i did upload it, but its 72 megs =S

Replies

• Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why does nobody ever comment on my stuff?
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dante1217 wrote: »
    why does nobody ever comment on my stuff?

lol not sure. but it looks pretty cool. I normally probably wouldnt have commented but your second post made me feel obliged. I just dont know how to crit this work. looks good to me though
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    when something like this can be in a real time game im sure a lot more people will care/respond

dose look cool though, flumeFX is nice
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol ty! thats the first reply on any of my topic (exept for the epic question of :max vs. maya) but.. first in the pimpin and previews>

also, ty =} rendering is a pain in the ASS Vray GI +fumeFX = :poly122:
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    It's probably because this is film/cinematic? type stuff, when most around here are real time peoples. Look cool, plugins are fun, but how about some original work? What do you want to do as a career? Answer the question and then work on that. If you want to do effects for film/cinematics, then you are on the right track.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmk, well im only 16 i started using max last year, and ATM im just experimenting, i got FumeFX from a buddy of mine that works at afterworks, and i just wanted to test it out.. im really not that great at low-poly modeling, but im really trying to start that.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    well i wish i had started when i was 16. start now, and get a head start.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    I was sleeping. ;)

Looks cool. Would be nice to port the effects into a realtime engine.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its good, but if im not mistaken you followed the flamethrower tutorial on youtube for fumefx? If you didnt then its very nice.

If you are serious about pursuing a career in effects, whether it be realtime or cinematic i would check out Alan Mckay. He has some amazing DVD's out. You may find them here.

http://www.allanmckay.com/

you can check out his products section for the DVD's which are worth every penny. He also has some free tutorials on his site.

Its difficult to decide which area you wish to go into at such a young age but you have started at a good time. Try your hand at lots of different things and you will find a niche which you enjoy. I would also recommend registering over at cgsociety (www.cgsociety.org) if you havn't already. You will probably get a greater response to fx based posts and cinematic stuff over there. However if its game related you wont find much better than here.
  • multivac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats quite underwhelming,sorta like a hairspray-flamethrower.yeah,thats about how they look in most games,but that doesn't mean its right.
    the most important thing it lacks is smoke.
    this is what a real flamethrower looks like:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZXUYEdSNhY[/ame]
  • FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn that is a flamethrower and a half o.0

and also, i didnt use the tutorial on youtube... but i did look at some of kooj's work.

its quite simple:

particle spray + box + Udeflector

add fumeFX and GI w/ Vray nd your done.

also, i am thinking abiut getting into cinimatics, but i would like to learn to model a bit in low-poly as well....
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    In games flamethrowers always have butt-range.

That's definitely a moral destroying weapon.

I don't know much about SFX but I'd like it to "cone-out" more, and like multi said smoke.

Very cool.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty, i was gooing for a more... like.. gas/fuel fire not as much of a spray, but i think the fire should last longer when it hits the wall...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep at it, fumeFX has its place in the games industry and you can do a lot with it. What might be more practical is just getting to know the particle system inside and out, a lot more practical stuff can be done with it and most engines have a similar system but almost always proprietary.

5 years ago particle effects where kind of high end stuff but that barrier is slowing breaking apart. Also something to keep in mind is that games are kind of a gateway to film work.

Cool stuff, but you might want to try draft renders and simpler ways to iterate changes, it will allow you to try more in less time, always a good thing.

Check out Allen McKay sometime he has done some great particle work and is a FumeFX expert, he has some pretty good free video tutorials and some even better DVDs.
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty for the imput, and im checking his stuff out as we speak, hes quite good.